Usergroups
illegal Object Index, can't enter chapter 6, mayday
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic - Troubleshooting

Author Thread
Weasel
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Hello, I hope someone can help me, i fought my way to chapter 6 in many many hours, think this game is the best ever but has by far too much bugs....

Now I possess Uzuriel and opened the gate to the sleeper temple with the statuette, but when I try to enter the temple, the loading screen crashes at ca. 75 percent with a message box about some ObjRef, illegal object index....

I saw someone else hat this problem in a much earlier state of the game, maybe he had a solution for this BIIIg problem?

Please help, I'm totally frustrated...

Post Fri Jan 11, 2002 2:01 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

This sounds like either a corrupted savegame or a damaged file.

Some ideas:
The first thing I would try is load a save from chapter 5 and try to enter the temple, to see if you still _can_ enter it.

If this works you miss close to nothing if you insert the loaded Uriziel (or the rune) and try to finish the game in chapter 5. Of course you can also replay the chapter, regularly or with cheats.

If you canīt enter the temple in chapter 5 a reinstall could be an idea. Copy your savegames somewhere else before you uninstall, they may be deleted.

Somebody else described in this forum how he fixed a corrupted savegame in the Old Mine by replacing one of the files in the save.
Post Sat Jan 12, 2002 6:00 am
Weasel
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Hi

Thnx, I found the topic you meant. I compared my saved games and the possible damaged file is identical in all slots

But I will try to exchange the oldest with the newest, maybe this will help.

I wrote to the support support@piranha-bytes.com and I was just amazed how fast they answered (about half an hour after my mail). They asked for the saved game so I sent them one of my saved games and they will have a look-over...
I also asked them about the reason why and when this could have happened and how one can recognize and maybe repair such a situation on his own. Maybe the answer will help others too, so I'll post it here as soon as I have it.
Stay tuned and thanks for the tip.

Post Sat Jan 12, 2002 1:20 pm
Weasel
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Hey, its me again (Boy, I'm answering my Post almost all alone ) )

I did something very helpful, I deleted the orctemple-entry in my saved game completly
After that I could finish the game, but I had to play a lot of the first entering of orc temple again
So I finally finished the game )

Now I'm going to play the other two camps...
(but I will backup my saved games all 20 minutes) )
But there is a great question: what happens, if your world.sav (or the log files) get corrupted???

When I got answer from pirhana-bytes, I will post it here.

I still think, that this game is one of the greatest games of the year 2001, but with all these bugs, this game should have never been released, what do you think?

Till next time, Weasel )

Post Sun Jan 13, 2002 12:48 am
Glotis
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I agree, Weasel... but the fact is that gaming is such a volitile market that we are only going to see more of this (i.e., games released that will work on only a few select system configurations). I attribute it to too many variable system configurations that could/should be confirmed in beta testing, pressure to release prior to adequate beta testing, a "new standard" of Customer Service... i.e., virtually none.
Post Sun Jan 13, 2002 7:04 am