Rogue weapon choices
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Neverwinter Nights - General

Author Thread
Nazgul
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Rogue weapon choices

I have a lvl 8 halfling rogue at the moment. I was wondering is using my short sword and dagger would be better than a rapier (have to use 2 handed cuz im a halfing). I think its saying that if i dual wield, ill be getting in more hits per round, but if i use the rapier, il do extra damage becuz i use it as a 2 hander. can someone tell me what they think is best?
Post Wed Jul 10, 2002 2:10 am
TheLonePaladin
Mighty Warrior
Mighty Warrior

two weapons looks more stylish.
"Though the gates that stand between the mortal world and the immortal Realm of Chaos are now closed to me, still I would rather die having glimpsed eternity than never to have stirred the cold furrow of mortal life.
I embrace death without regret as I embraced life without fear."
Post Wed Jul 10, 2002 4:52 am
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Use a bow. Best weapon for a rogue. Let the fighters or someone suck up the damage while you rain 1d6 + 10d6 sneak attack damage arrows down at a rate of four per round with rapid shot... all while you're safely 30 feet away.

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

=Member of the Nonflamers Guild=
=Worshipper of the Written Word=
Post Wed Jul 10, 2002 4:59 am
TheLonePaladin
Mighty Warrior
Mighty Warrior

well sure if you wanna be a coward....
"Though the gates that stand between the mortal world and the immortal Realm of Chaos are now closed to me, still I would rather die having glimpsed eternity than never to have stirred the cold furrow of mortal life.
Post Wed Jul 10, 2002 5:09 am
vaticide
Put food in here
Put food in here

I prefer to use both a bow and dual weapons. (2 short swords, I'm a halfling) When it looks dangerous I stand back with the bow, if it looks safe, I run in with both weapons to get even more sneak attacks in. They can't hit me anyway.

-vaticide
Post Wed Jul 10, 2002 6:00 am
Kendrik
Thin Blue Line
Thin Blue Line

quote:
Originally posted by vaticide
I prefer to use both a bow and dual weapons. (2 short swords, I'm a halfling) When it looks dangerous I stand back with the bow, if it looks safe, I run in with both weapons to get even more sneak attacks in. They can't hit me anyway.

-vaticide

As a halfling then if you are wielding two medium sized weapons (short sword is medium to a halfling) don't you get really bad penalties to hit? Even if you had Two-weapon fighting and ambidexterity you should still suffer -4 to hit with each hand. (if you had a dagger in your left hand this should fall to -2 penalty in both hands).
~~Champion of the (Unofficial) RPGdot Text Signature Contest 2002~~
Post Wed Jul 10, 2002 11:26 am
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

With Rapid Shot you get more attacks than wielding two weapons.

And it's not cowardly... it's intelligent. Rogues are some of the smartest people in the game (second to wizard). Why would you not use a bow, which is the weapon evolution that began the evolution away from melee weaponry?

Yes indeed... if I was stuck in a D&D fantasy world ... (I'd become a blacksmith and marry a good honest woman and raise a family and pray the village didn't get hit by something that could wipe it out with a blink like the plauge or 20 kobolds)... I'd use a crossbow or bow. Orc with axe charges. I shoot the orc. It dies without getting near me. I live.

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

Post Wed Jul 10, 2002 3:07 pm
Lintra
Elf Friend
Elf Friend

quote:
Originally posted by EverythingXen
With Rapid Shot you get more attacks than wielding two weapons.

And it's not cowardly... it's intelligent. Rogues are some of the smartest people in the game (second to wizard). Why would you not use a bow, which is the weapon evolution that began the evolution away from melee weaponry?

Yes indeed... if I was stuck in a D&D fantasy world ... (I'd become a blacksmith and marry a good honest woman and raise a family and pray the village didn't get hit by something that could wipe it out with a blink like the plauge or 20 kobolds)... I'd use a crossbow or bow. Orc with axe charges. I shoot the orc. It dies without getting near me. I live.

I like the way you think. It reminds of the time I turned down the invitation to go bear hunting with a bow. First - I don't hunt. Second - I don't hunt things that can kill me in 0.25 seconds flat armed with pea shooter. Take on a bear with a 50 caliber machine gun, okay. A bow!!???!
Post Wed Jul 10, 2002 7:30 pm
TheLonePaladin
Mighty Warrior
Mighty Warrior

you think one crossbow bolt can kill an orc? nadda. you plant a stick in the orc, at best, and while you're struggling to reload and cock and reset the crossbow, you lose your head. not smart.

now if you got a greatsword, you parry the axe, impale the orc through the stomach, rip it out his side, parry again, assuming he isn't blinded by pain, and slice his head open. smart.

rogues and wizards are cowards. the only true honor is in one on one combat. if you can't rely on your own skills and prowess, but are forced to lean on the crutch of some cave man's inventiveness, or some gnome's contraption (depending on longbow or crossbow), or standing in a corner, cheating your way to victory through the use of spells, you sir are a coward. the result doesn't matter, if you can live with the dishonor of your own tactics, thats find.

simply know that you are a coward
Post Wed Jul 10, 2002 9:08 pm

While it may be cowardly... If you were to charge someone with your greatsword, and they shot you with a crossbow bolt and killed you, would you get bakc up and say hes a coward? That's great, but the one with the crossbow is the one that walks away from the battle alive. Unless of course he cant aim, but ya..
Post Wed Jul 10, 2002 10:14 pm

TheLonePaladin
Mighty Warrior
Mighty Warrior

'tis better to die with honor than live in shame.

sides, a real warrior would sidestep, or knock the arrow out of the sky with his sword. or keep living, assuming he had a high enough constitution.
Post Wed Jul 10, 2002 11:02 pm
Kendrik
Thin Blue Line
Thin Blue Line

quote:
Originally posted by TheLonePaladin
'tis better to die with honor than live in shame.

sides, a real warrior would sidestep, or knock the arrow out of the sky with his sword. or keep living, assuming he had a high enough constitution.

.... ah but only a Monk could catch the bolt
~~Champion of the (Unofficial) RPGdot Text Signature Contest 2002~~
Post Wed Jul 10, 2002 11:48 pm
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Tell you what, Lone Paladin... if we meet in the field of combat, YOU use the big sword... I'll use a 44 magnum with a laser scope.

Or better yet, I'll hire someone else to use a 44 magnum with a laser scope.

Look where honor got heavy french calvary when England started fielding the longbow. A bunch of shiny knights with holes in their armor... taken out by one fifth their number.

Ideally, the orc wouldn't get a straight charge at me. Ideally I'd have cover by means of a barricade or rampart. Ideally I'd also have another person beside me with a crossbow who can take a shot if I miss while I reload. And some boiling oil to dump on the things head if it tries to climb the wall to get a straight fight out of me, too.

Sheesh. You sound like one of those people who would challenge a person to a duel when the opportunity existed to poison their soup.

Post Thu Jul 11, 2002 2:52 am
TheLonePaladin
Mighty Warrior
Mighty Warrior

this is all assuming we're in the land of RPGs. no magnums. the only thing close to that is some of those funky gnomish shotguns that take an hour to prep, and blow up upon usage sometimes.

in any event, france wasn't ready for bows. they didn't have enough tower shields....or something like that. i never said that bows were useless, or that honor always wins. i simply said that honor should always win. unfortunately cowards are numerous, and their ways devious. so yeah honor loses, but honor is...well honorable.

obviously your definition of "ideally" is "if everything was the way i wanted so that i had the unfair advantage". so if the playing field was level, you wouldn't win. again, this is the honorable way to do things, the way it should be done, assuming that cowards didn't exist. in other words, my definition of "ideally".

quote:
Originally posted by EverythingXen
Sheesh. You sound like one of those people who would challenge a person to a duel when the opportunity existed to poison their soup.

could you at least post this anonymously, so as not to degrade the image of vegeta?
Post Thu Jul 11, 2002 3:13 am
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Nope. Couldn't if I wanted.

And a wise man picks his battlefield. There is no such thing as an equal battlefield. A wise man chooses his ground, his weapons, and his allies with the purpose of defeating his enemies.

If you can find it somewhere (and I know you can) read Sun Tzu's Art of War. Excellent read. He states quite clearly that all war is deception... and he's correct.

And look at Vegeta on Namek. His entire strategy was to deceive and outwit all his foes... letting them do all the work until he was strong enough to step in and claim his prize for their labors. He read Sun Tzu.

Post Thu Jul 11, 2002 4:02 am

Goto page 1, 2  Next