Dragonlance BG2 mod. Impressions from demo
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Dungeons and Dragons General

Author Thread
stanthony
One Smart Dog
One Smart Dog

Dragonlance BG2 mod. Impressions from demo

http://www.dragonlancetc.com/?page=news - here is the link to the home page of the "Glory of Istar" game demo. Independent project to use BG2 engine to make an adventure in the world of Krynn. Screenshots are nice, I think there is a lot of new graphics - trees etc. Game looks very promising, I think. They also promise gameplay comparable with BG2 in terms of playtime.

R.A.Salvatore The Cleric Quintet. Canticle

Last edited by stanthony on Wed Oct 29, 2003 2:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post Mon Oct 20, 2003 10:02 am
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Hmm. After TeamBGs disasterously lame Darkest Day, I'm wary of BG2 mods. Think I'll let someone else play this one first.

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

=Member of the Nonflamers Guild=
=Worshipper of the Written Word=
Post Mon Oct 20, 2003 11:25 am
stanthony
One Smart Dog
One Smart Dog

I didn't like "Darkest Day" at all, but this one seems different somehow. I'm going to give this demo a try as soon as I can and then post some impressions here.

Post Mon Oct 20, 2003 12:16 pm
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

I'll give it a try when I get bored of ToEE.
Post Mon Oct 20, 2003 3:35 pm
~NOBODY~
The One And Only
The One And Only

Is it a mod, or an independent game?
Post Mon Oct 20, 2003 3:39 pm
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

It's a mod. So, you have to have the original game to play.
Post Mon Oct 20, 2003 3:54 pm
stanthony
One Smart Dog
One Smart Dog

Original game + Throne of Bhaal to be precise. I'm tired of reinstalling BG2... but I should do it. I like Dragonlance

Post Mon Oct 20, 2003 5:50 pm
Seth
Last Man Standing
Last Man Standing

Well I guess I will have to reinstall BG2 + expansion after all. But I’m waiting for some comments from the players who actually try it.

I hope Anthony for your sake that translations is done (you know what I’m talking about), because you have time for other games, don’t make me do something we both regret.
Post Mon Oct 20, 2003 6:06 pm
stanthony
One Smart Dog
One Smart Dog

quote:
Originally posted by Seth
I hope Anthony for your sake that translations is done (you know what I’m talking about), because you have time for other games, don’t make me do something we both regret.

LOL

Yes, I understand you, Seth, perfectly well I don't have time for games - that's my problem. I donwloaded this demo, but I don't expect to try it very soon anyhow. I have Planescape: Torment on hold, Nameless One on Ragpickers Square... 3rd time through I have GoldenLand on harddrive waiting for review play. I have Pirates of the Carribean - still want to play Russian version with all the latest pacthes that fix most of problems... I just don't have any bloody time I don't have any meteors, like Rend here, but I'm close to selling my family library to buy food and be able to play more

Post Mon Oct 20, 2003 7:10 pm
jellylad
Village Leader
Village Leader

Has no-one tried this yet then?

Come on someone : Be Brave.

I'll give it a bash in a couple of weeks when I've finished with ToEE if no-ones tried it by then.
Post Mon Oct 27, 2003 4:53 pm
stanthony
One Smart Dog
One Smart Dog

I'll try as soon as I feel like installing BG2 again. And after I'm done with all the stuff I mentioned above. I'll be brave enough in about 3 weeks I think

Post Mon Oct 27, 2003 5:59 pm
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

Sorry, the Geneforge 2 demo has got ahold of me. I'm sorely tempted to get the full game.
Post Tue Oct 28, 2003 2:29 am
stanthony
One Smart Dog
One Smart Dog

Things I do for my forums!

I found couple of hours for this demo and this is what I have FYI. I installed BG2 and ToB (the most hated part, I don't like playing DJ). I installed ToB patch. Downloaded 80MB demo. Install is very simple - nothing like this program that allows you to run BG1 in BG2 interface/resoultion. You just run the executable. Voila.

Dragonlance. That's the word. I think this game does have a feeling of Krynn. Really. Well, first things first.

On character generation you have a number of new choices, including Kenders as a new race. All pluses and minuses of your choice are described, too. After I made my kender thief (d'oh) game asked to choose his Religion from the impressive list of choices. You can have only one character generated - just like in BG2. I didn't try anything multiplayer, though. Didn't have time.

First thing you notice when in the game is graphics. It is different from BG2. I cannot explain it, it is just different. It *feels* different, like it was taken from another setting Well, it is not better than in BG2, but most objects have some little touches that make you feel not in FR any longer. Forest graphics is awesome. Trees are big and often what you see are leaves and branches, not trees themselves. It really adds to atmosphere and very vividly reminds of the beginning of the first Dragonlance book. There are plants (!) you can pick up and later do something with them. Alchemy? I didn't go that far. Music is nice, but sometimes too loud. Many if not most of the dialogues in the demo have voiceover, and some voice are pretty well done. Some are quite lame. But there was one voice that sounded *exactly* (and I mean it) like the dungeon master's voice in Wizardry Gold Do they have this guy? Well, honestly, his voice is terrible! Map of the world is big. In the beginning you have access to three locations, maybe demo has more, I didn't quite explore it. Map design is ok. There were too many scripted scenes for my taste, but maybe it is just me. Anyway, they present you to what is happening around, it is quite useful to follow them. Quests you have in the very beginning are fun and different from BG/BG2. Interaction with some things is done a'la Planescape: Torment: you examine thing, you try to take sothing, you try to apply it somewhere. Very nice.

All in all I think it will be a good game. If not great, but devs have to work very hard to make the rest (the most) of the game even better than these first maps. I think they captured the atmosphere of pre-cataclysmic Krynn very well, as well as non-commercial project reasonably can. I'd like to spend more time in this demo, but now I'm pretty sure it won't happen soon. I'm getting very busy. You can try it and add your comments here. It'll be fun to know your oppinion.

Post Wed Oct 29, 2003 2:24 pm
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

Thanks for your sacrifice of time!
I guess, I'll have to try it now.

BTW, I love your new avatar, stanthony!
Post Wed Oct 29, 2003 3:03 pm
stanthony
One Smart Dog
One Smart Dog

quote:
Originally posted by Val
Thanks for your sacrifice of time!
I guess, I'll have to try it now.

BTW, I love your new avatar, stanthony!

Thanks for the kind words, Val. Your avatar was subject to long discussion, so you know everything I could possibly say Well, it is more... winged than my dog

Probably you should try the game, but then again, I have no idea how much time could it take for devs to complete this game. So if you like the demo you could be disappointed by endless waiting... Try at your own risk.

I also have to add, that of course this is very incomplete product as it is now. My impressions were mostly positive, but you have to consider that this is game in the making so it is imperfect per se.

Post Wed Oct 29, 2003 4:25 pm

Goto page 1, 2  Next