How does multiclassing work?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Neverwinter Nights - General

Author Thread
SuperCowMan24
Blademaster of the Moo
Blademaster of the Moo

I miss baldurs gate 2

in that the max level was 40, so you could have some very powerful multiclass characters. I had a 24 fighter/20 wizard. He wore elven chainmail (Wizards can wear that, HAHAHA!) and there was no stupid "Check Penalties" for armor. but there were no feats, so a wizard could not get proficiencies in weapons or armor tat they didnt already have... but Zakaraiah Phoenix (my 20wizard/24fighter) was awesome! He had sword/shield combo, and he used wizard spells before a fight to buff himself up. he even had level 9 spells, so he could cast absolute immunity, and wish. so before a battle i would get improved haste, wizards armors, damage buffs, and simulacrum! so there would be 2 uber Zakaraiah phoenix! and so then i would cast summon elementals, and... that angel lookin thing, a solar. so i was an army of 1 (sorta, maybe an army of 7, however you look at it.) and i could take on anything, even the final boss Melissan, (only on Novice or the one right above novice, with core D&D rules, i win only about half the time, and anything above that i get totally skroooooooooooood.) now here is MY predicament. Zakaraiah Phoenix was my favorite D&D character. I played him through baldurs gate, BG2, and ToB, with 2 of my friends. we had huge elaborate backstories, and roleplaying these characters was great. but my 2 friends were pure classes, pure paladin and pure ranger.... now with Neverwinter Nights we can finally create the grand city of Gayle and reconstruct the final battle between the 3 heroes and the soooper evil bad guy.. and tie up those loose D&D ends and round out the story...

but Zakaraiah can only be level 20. Wizards cannot wear any "Elven Chain Mail" if they are a warrior/wizard. i want Zak to be able to cast SOME spells, and be useful... as a wizard and a fighter, but the cap is level 20, and before he was THE most powerful character in the party, he could beat my 2 friends in a 2 on 1 fight. even without his summoned monsters. is it possible for me to recreate him? or am i going to have to go pure class? if i go pure class i wonder what i should do..... ranger? paladin? suggestiosn please?

Don't you feel better now?
Post Thu Jul 11, 2002 2:33 pm
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

You cannot. 3e was designed around party play. In second edition a multiclass character took longer to get to high levels... but once he did he was a match for any two or three characters. In 3rd they nixed that idea. You can get some brutally insane hella-powerful characters in 3e by way of multiclassing... but generally not by mixing a fighting and a spellcasting class.

The best fighter in the game, by the books, is a Barbarian/Fighter. Rage capabilities coupled with an unsurpassed number of feats = lots of hacked up enemies. When you start throwing in Prestige Classes (which is a feature they don't have in NWN... which isn't a surprise because even two years after 3e has been released Wizards of the Coast keeps flip flopping on the concept of prestige classes, as they're optional) you can get totally nuts.

I have a level 12 character... a Ronin samurai and undead hunter whom people call 'Jak' (as he's never revealed his name).

He's a level 6 fighter/level 4 master samurai/level 1 ranger/level 1 Undead Bane.

Standing seven feet tall and wielding an enchanted Katana half his height, he *is* 3e's version of Vampire Hunter D.

In the forgotten realms you could make a Level 5 Wizard/Level 10 Guild Wizard/level 5 Archmage... and watch the world weep (though not as badly as other campaign settings, as at least a dozen well known mages in the Realms are well above 20th level). All those casting levels stack so you're still a level 20 caster (but your familiar is only level 5, and you don't get the extra wizard feats... but who cares? You can shatter mountains with your might.)

All my high level characters that I'd attained over a decade of dedicated play in 2nd edition (level 17/18 fighter wizard, etc) I retired if I felt they lost too much in the translation. Single class characters, though... those got translated and in most cases got significantly closer to the concept I had in mind.

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

=Member of the Nonflamers Guild=
=Worshipper of the Written Word=
Post Thu Jul 11, 2002 4:02 pm
SuperCowMan24
Blademaster of the Moo
Blademaster of the Moo

prestige classes are awesome, my friends and I use them in our tabletop campaigns a lot. but, why werent they included in neverwinter nights?

oh, and does anyone know when the Epic Level Rulebook will be released for the tabletop game?

and do you think they will release an expansion for NWN that will include Prestige classes and epic levels?

Don't you feel better now?
Post Fri Jul 12, 2002 6:48 pm
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

1) Sheer complication. Which ones would be included? Which ones would be excluded? How would you code some of the more off beat powers that keep getting errated and debated on the Wizards forum years later? It's another layer of complexity un-needed to enjoy the game.

2) It's out now. It's pretty funny. That's about it. I certainly wouldn't pay for it... but our resident slavering power-gamer did (though he's 9 full levels away from level 20, and I slow down experience the higher level you get). It's got feats that let your monk chop people's heads off with their unarmed attacks, as well as no less than four or five feats that have 'save or die' tags as side effects (the completion of the improved critical and favored enemy powers.). Others let you raise an army of undead or drain levels from your enemies with a turning action (for evil characters).

And theres always the DC 419 to cast 305d6 damage spell that does 200d6 to yourself. They threw it in there to show how 'epic' you could go if you're crazy (you'd have to be about level 395 to cast it).

3) I doubt it very much. For the listed reasons on the prestige classes and because Epic is Largely Silly.

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

Post Sun Jul 14, 2002 3:18 pm
Myrthos
Spoiler of All Fun
Spoiler of All Fun

I got a question for you 3E nerds. In the handbook it says that when you multiclass a monk, it can no longer be raised in levels (for that monk).
Can't find that restriction in the NWN manual though. Anyone knows if it's in?
...you won't have to unbookmark this site, we'll unbookmark you. - Val
Reports Myrthos for making me scared and humbled at the mere sight of his name - kayla
Post Sun Jul 14, 2002 4:57 pm
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

That restriction has been lifted in NWN, I believe. I think I read that in a FAQ somewhere once...

Post Sun Jul 14, 2002 5:04 pm
MoonDragon
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
Originally posted by Myrthos
I got a question for you 3E nerds. In the handbook it says that when you multiclass a monk, it can no longer be raised in levels (for that monk).
Can't find that restriction in the NWN manual though. Anyone knows if it's in?

My current main started as a monk. Got multiclassed with a rogue and is now Monk(9)Rogue(4), quite happily.
Post Sun Jul 14, 2002 8:51 pm
Myrthos
Spoiler of All Fun
Spoiler of All Fun

Hey, I am also multiclassing him to a rogue
...you won't have to unbookmark this site, we'll unbookmark you. - Val
Reports Myrthos for making me scared and humbled at the mere sight of his name - kayla
Post Sun Jul 14, 2002 9:27 pm

Goto page Previous  1, 2