Ultima Online
9%
 9%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 21

Author Thread
Arma
Mysterious Lady
Mysterious Lady

Well, I am pretty sure that the new Ultima game won't shut down UO - and that's not only because they are supposed (and probably will be) completely different.
In this way, you might say that EverQuest will be surely the next one, as Sony are starting EQ2 pretty soon ...
Post Wed Nov 26, 2003 7:15 am
Ligi
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

I doubt that the next one will be EQ, for two main reasons:

1- More then 500000 costumers dont leave a game that fast.

2- There are other games in risk of falling due to their own fragilities and not because there is a sequel. And that in my book is a much stronger cause for a game to fall.
Post Wed Nov 26, 2003 2:18 pm
Arma
Mysterious Lady
Mysterious Lady

I don't remember saying that the next one will be EQ. I just made an example.
Post Wed Nov 26, 2003 2:23 pm
Ekim
Eagle's Shadow
Eagle's Shadow

quote:
Originally posted by Ligi
2- There are other games in risk of falling due to their own fragilities and not because there is a sequel. And that in my book is a much stronger cause for a game to fall.

I tend to agree. In fact up until now we have no reason to think that any upcoming sequel will kill the original game. The only notable sequel to date was AC2, and here we are discussing whether it will survive or not, while it's older brother avoids even our mentioning I would rather agree to say that sequels are generally more in danger than the original game, if only because it will always get compared to it successful predecessor. And being compared like that is never really a good thing.

For my answer to this pole, I hesitate between E&B and AC2, although I would not wager any money as to when they would actually fall. They could still endure a good long while, but I think E&B will be the first to go.
Post Wed Nov 26, 2003 2:29 pm
Ligi
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Aye, my bad, didnt read your post the right way, I should get coffee before posting

Anyway, I think this topic is very up to date considering that on the next 12 months there will be a MMRPG flood on the market. Games lacking quality will suffer and thats good. In other words, the quality level tends to go up if the concurrence follows the free market logic. We all, who love this genre, will win
Post Wed Nov 26, 2003 2:34 pm
vaticide
Put food in here
Put food in here

I guess Rubies of Eventide should have been on this list, judging by today's news.

-vaticide
Post Wed Nov 26, 2003 4:08 pm
Ammon777
Warrior for Heaven
Warrior for Heaven

Im gonna repeat here what i said elsewhere:

The significance i can see here is that this may be the beginning of the fall of most low-budget MMO attempts. Like the guy said, the market is becoming saturated and increasingly competitive, and even medium-sized projects are in danger. It all comes to game design. A few small company MMOs will survive, and probably will be unexpected successes (Darkfall or even Trials of Ascension) because they are establishing a specific niche in the market, instead of doing what Rubies did by trying to compete with the huge projects (EQ2, SWG, UXO, Dragon Empires) having barebones funding. The team has got to be at the top of their game regarding all issues, especially gameplay design and programmers that are extremely talented at tracking and eliminating errors in the code. I feel bad to say it, but many of the under-funded games are either not going to make it or will be just skimming the surface, barely staying afloat, while the big projects get the vast of the majority of subscribers. I really feel sorry for that guy. The computer games market is brutal. The games that will go under are the ones that 1) have less funding, 2) arent designed well, and 3) less content. Content is king. I know some people would play text-based games if the content was awesome enough.
Post Wed Nov 26, 2003 4:51 pm
Kaniver
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

In today's news......Turbine buys AC1 form microsoft..........WOW. Didn't say they bought AC2 also..........heh heh. AC1 expansion in the distant future? Probally but there timing might be bad with all the nearly completed projects.
The good news for gamers is that with all the competition, poorly implemented MMORPG's won't make the grade. Competition is good.
Single player games have the same competitive marketplace. Most don't even regain there investment. It's the few well done, well funded, well promoted products that make a profit.
On another note I recently dowloaded the Rubies of Eventide client. There is no way this game can compete against the well funded games already out there much less than the ones just around the corner. I was selected to beta test Rubies and opted for Earth & Beyond beta instead. Charging the same subscription as the big boys just won't fly for a smaller project such as Rubies.
I would like to see a smaller developer suceed but it's not very likely.
Post Wed Dec 17, 2003 9:01 pm
Ekim
Eagle's Shadow
Eagle's Shadow

quote:
Originally posted by Kaniver
In today's news......Turbine buys AC1 form microsoft..........WOW. Didn't say they bought AC2 also..........heh heh.

Turbine bought off both AC1 and 2 from Microsoft. You can read the press release which clearly states that the whole AC franchise is taken over. Now, is that a good thing, or a bad thing? Well, it can't be a bad thing in my opinion. Turbine cuts off the Suits, and maybe they'll have a little more freedom to move things as they see fit. In fact, maybe this is a sign that the genre is going in the right direction, and brings a whole new question to the table: are publishers really that necessary in mmorpgs? hmm.... Food for thought!

quote:
Originally posted by Kaniver
On another note I recently dowloaded the Rubies of Eventide client. There is no way this game can compete against the well funded games already out there much less than the ones just around the corner. I was selected to beta test Rubies and opted for Earth & Beyond beta instead. Charging the same subscription as the big boys just won't fly for a smaller project such as Rubies.

I don't think that rubies is really meant to "compete" with the big boys out there. It's more of a nice fan project, one that is closer to the gamer than many other bigger projects out there. But I do agree on the point of costs with you though. The single worst feature of Rubies is the price that they charge. Last I heard they had just "dropped" their pricing to something like $12 or $13 a month, which makes no sense for a project of such a small magnitude, in my opinion.
Post Thu Dec 18, 2003 2:46 pm

Goto page Previous  1, 2