Usergroups
Is GTA San Andreas an RPG?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > CRPGs General

Author Thread
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land
Stranger In A Strange Land

My answer would be the stats have close to zero impact on the gameplay and there's no other real way to differentiate one protagonist from another . There are a couple of bits where the game requires you to have a certain stat level but those are all artificial - otherwise I could readily play through without changing any stats whatsoever.

Since the story is linear and the stats don't change the gameplay, there's no way of expressing a role, other than a different wardrobe and different weaponry - but every shooter offers that.

What's the difference with Diablo or some other action/RPG? They usually offer different character archetypes, which do affect the gameplay, as well as customisations/development that do have some genuine impact. The scope might be limited -- killing stuff only -- and they may be extremely streamlined but I can still have some ownership of the character.

Finally, the gameplay is primarily action driven with some after-thought stats thrown in afterwards. Something like BG:DA is still primarily stat-driven.

Not much difference in practice but there is a little.
Post Tue Feb 07, 2006 2:46 am
THX1138
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Oh Boy Oh Boy!!

To answer the Thief/SS2 point.
I never thought Thief was a true RPG, but I always felt that it took the thief CLASS from AD&D, gave it a good shot of adreneline and said "Go get 'em!" I always thought I was this level 20 thief who was at the pinnacle of his talents, that damn Viktoria. I want my real eye back!!
SS2 was billed as an RPG like Deus EX, and they were similar and extremely good. I have yet to finish DX however(poser)
SS2 fits though because you get three classes, you don't have to play them any certain way, you acumulate nanites to build your skills anyway you want. I loved managing my ammo types in SS2 and Deus EX both.
BrainFart
Post Tue Feb 07, 2006 4:27 am
Neo_Genesis
The Assassin
The Assassin

I actually do think SA has lot's of RPG aspects, but in overall, it's not a complete RPG. There has been a topic on this already, however, located Here. None the less, I think that SA could be added to the RPG genre, only then as a... special RPG. Sort of an action adventure RPG.
Post Tue Feb 07, 2006 9:50 am

Goto page Previous  1, 2