Inventory, Trading, and Money
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 General

Author Thread
OreBaron
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Inventory, Trading, and Money

I think that the Gothic I trading and inventory system was better(tabs for types of items) and how you could trade items for items, and i also liked how merchants had limited ore. I would love these things back in the Gothic Addon/G3( long way )
Post Sat Aug 09, 2003 3:10 pm
Freakie
The Noble Demon
The Noble Demon

I don't like that they have limted ore in Gothic I, but I indeed like the systeem, in Gothic II I sometimes sell something else, like if you have 20 wolf skins you press and hold LMB, but when it's done with the 20 wolf skins it just goes and sell ie a good weapon.....

Gothic II Credits
Post Sat Aug 09, 2003 4:28 pm
SirDeity
Gothic's Loyal Hero
Gothic's Loyal Hero

I preferred the old trading system too. I found having everything in one big screen took a bit of getting used to. The old trade screen where everything was categorized seemed more original and easier to handle. For example, I felt much safer having my potions in a different category, because if I wanted to sell the weapons I looted while out exploring, I could just hold down the key and look the other direction without worrying about accidentally selling my important stuff. Perhaps Gothic 3 will offer players the option of choosing between the original trade system or the new one. They did it for the control scheme, why not do it for the trade scheme as well?!
I am the founder and former leader of a guild in EQ, retired member of The Code in EQ, original member of KOE in AOE2, past Corporal of EVO in MOHAA, respected veteran of UT 2003, a conquerer of all decent games, and an aspiring game developer.

Gothic's Loyal Hero, SirDeity
Post Sat Aug 09, 2003 4:28 pm
EDV
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
Originally posted by SirDeity
They did it for the control scheme, why not do it for the trade scheme as well?!

I agree, In Gothic I you had you inventory and trading screen wel organised, in Gothic II all of the thing are in 1 big 'screen'. But the unlimited gold idea is a good thing.
Post Sat Aug 09, 2003 6:33 pm
Shmaugus
High Emperor
High Emperor

the new trading is good the unlimited gold is good but the new inventory setup is imo quite bad, i think the catagorized inventory setup was much better, PB please use the old inventory for g3
Post Sat Aug 09, 2003 11:40 pm
OreBaron
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

None of you like limited gold? , i just find it stupid that i can give a merchant in a besieged castle 500 axes and he'll have enough gold, the only flaw with G1's trade system was not being able to take an entire stack of ore.
Post Sun Aug 10, 2003 12:24 am
SirDeity
Gothic's Loyal Hero
Gothic's Loyal Hero

Actually, I agree with you. I think it's more realistic for merchants to have a limited amount of gold. It would be better if they could run out, but would slowly replenish their supply as days passed. I'm a sucker for realism in terms of trade, communications, and interactions.
I am the founder and former leader of a guild in EQ, retired member of The Code in EQ, original member of KOE in AOE2, past Corporal of EVO in MOHAA, respected veteran of UT 2003, a conquerer of all decent games, and an aspiring game developer.

Post Sun Aug 10, 2003 12:29 am
OreBaron
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Yeah that's good, what would be even better is if NPC's bought stuff(too much work but......) oh and leather bags and caskets should be worth as much as you buy them for, they are really just a bunch of gold coins in an object.
Post Sun Aug 10, 2003 12:39 am
Daedalus
High Emperor
High Emperor

ehehe indeed the old trading system was very good i liked it if u had not enough ore u could just trade some swords or wolfs skins and get the thing after that wasnt in the old days that system by trading in real life also also there would be cool a Trader somewhere in the city or somewhere who sells unidentifyd things like Diablo 2 had remember well in G2 it would be cool if he sells strange potions or swords where are no stats till the hero buys it or Purses where might be only 1 coin or maybe a 1000 so u can get cheated or win the money back what u buyed
Post Sun Aug 10, 2003 12:15 pm
OreBaron
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

yeah somtimes I want to give just enough stuff to buy smething rather than selling stuff and guessing/calculating what ive bought. Some things such as caskets and satchels should'nt drop in value they are just containers of gold
Post Sun Aug 10, 2003 10:21 pm
Shmaugus
High Emperor
High Emperor

yeah but its all part of the realism back in the day people got ripped off, but i guess they didnt carry around 500 swords with them either of cast spells that can kill all the things within 50 feet of you either
so keep in mind that its a FANTASY game it cant be exactly like the real world, that would just be really gay
Post Mon Aug 11, 2003 2:32 am
Daedalus
High Emperor
High Emperor

but wouldent that be a great idea still ?
Post Mon Aug 11, 2003 12:15 pm
SirDeity
Gothic's Loyal Hero
Gothic's Loyal Hero

It's important to realize the difference between realism that adds to the game's atmosphere and enjoyment, and realism that takes away from the game's atmosphere and enjoyment. For example, making a limit to the amount of items a player or NPC can hold is a realism that would take away from the atmosphere and enjoyment of the game. In contrast, a realism that adds to the graphics, or to an NPC's daily routine-AI would add to the atmosphere and enjoyment. I think it's important to make the game as real as possible, without taking away from the game's atmosphere or potential for enjoyment. There is indeed a fine line between these two differences.

Post Mon Aug 11, 2003 6:59 pm
Whailor
Most Exalted Highlord
Most Exalted Highlord

Inventory, when selling, in Gothic 1 was ANNOYING. I hated to have to browse through all the categories just to be able to sell something from Misc category, and then browse through these whole tabs AGAIN just to be able to get back to merchant part. The system in Gothic 2 is so much more better. I have the overview of the whole inventory, mine and vendors, and it's each to switch things, sell and buy.
Post Tue Aug 12, 2003 10:40 am
Daedalus
High Emperor
High Emperor

donno i pretty liked Gothic 1 trading system. Cos u knew what items are useless so u can sell them and what items are quest items
Post Tue Aug 12, 2003 1:56 pm