Opinions on Vampire: Masquerade?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Vampire

Author Thread
ThunderChild
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Opinions on Vampire: Masquerade?

Just wondered what anyone thought of this game.

Am asking 'cause it was the game that got me into PC RPG's (well, second after the greatest game ever made - Deus Ex...........Am completely in love with JC Denton ) but most people don't seem to like it?????

Am I the odd one out?
Post Wed Jun 19, 2002 12:53 pm
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

I haven't played it, but there has been an earlier discussion about Vampire here.

And well, who didn't love JC...?
Post Wed Jun 19, 2002 1:04 pm
Joey Nipps
Orcan High Command
Orcan High Command

I also loved JC Denton. Vampire was OK but I didn't find any replay value to speak of - so calculate that any way you wish.
Post Wed Jun 19, 2002 5:59 pm
Ekim
Eagle's Shadow
Eagle's Shadow

I guess Vampire was nice. But it quickly lost its appeal after the first couple of chapters... Towards the end the only thing that kept me going was that I wanted to see the Graphics in the modern cities. Still, some elements of the game had some nice "cool" factor in them.

I didn't enjoy DX much though... Maybe it's just me as a lot of people simply loved that game. But I really didn't enjoy it and found it very frustrating at some points. I didn't give it a fair chance though, I must admit. I stopped playing very early. Talking about it now makes me want to revisit it just to see if my first impressions were correct. But it didn't hold my attention the first time in any case
Post Wed Jun 19, 2002 6:19 pm
ButtOfMalmsey
Village Idiot
Village Idiot

I thought and still think that Vampire was graphically quite pretty, and that its sound and music were uniformly good, if uninspiring. But targeting and control were garbage; the mouse control scheme was skittish. I never got past the medieval stuff (far too lazy, although I plan to go back now on my new computer). On my old puter, i couldn't view the intro cinema scene (some sort of graphics/sound conflict, or maybe it was just too slow and dumb).

Deus Ex stymied me with the first mission. I'll be damned if I'm really all that bad at FPSs, but I couldn't sneak around to save my life.

I saw this in a movie about a bus that had to SPEED around a city, keeping its SPEED over fifty, and if its SPEED dropped, it would explode. I think it was called, "The Bus That Couldn't Slow Down."
-Homer Simpson

=Member of the Non-Flamers Guild=
=Member of The Sixth House=
::Captain of the Black Company::
Post Wed Jun 19, 2002 7:41 pm
SuperCowMan24
Blademaster of the Moo
Blademaster of the Moo

I think vampire is really only good with the WTD mod, and online, with a few friends of yours who are roleplayers... otherwize it will suck. there are sooo many hackers and annoying people around... but the single player game was terrible, multiplayer makes up for it tho...

Don't you feel better now?
Post Wed Jun 19, 2002 9:27 pm
Gig
Southern Spirit
Southern Spirit

I just loved Vampire! It's one of my very favorites. I thought it had the best story and acting of any game I've ever played! I didn't get bored for a second and I looked forward to playing it every day. I think it's just me though, I'm backwards on that. Most people hate Vampire and think that Wiz 8 is one of the best. I hate Wiz 8 and think Vampire is one of the best.

BTW--I can't stand multiplayer so far... I'm hoping NWN can change that.
''Perhaps I'm old and tired but I always think that the chances of finding out what really is going on are so absurdly remote that the only thing to do is to say hang the sense of it and just keep yourself occupied. Look at me: I design coastlines. I got an award for Norway.''--Slartibartfast

Last edited by Gig on Thu Jun 20, 2002 3:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post Thu Jun 20, 2002 3:14 pm
stealth
Protector of the Realm
Protector of the Realm

I'll rate Vampire as the second worst buy I've ever made. (Lands of Lore II were the worst).

The single player was uninspiring. It was so linear. You couldn't do anything but follow the main story. I couldn't stand it for more than a couple of hours. Combat was also pretty bad and as far as I remember; the acting.

What perhaps could have saved the game was the 'DM' function but that failed miserably too.

Well, the Vampire: The Masquerade setting is good though, and I hope it will be used in future games.

And Gig: I don’t like Wiz8 either
Post Thu Jun 20, 2002 4:07 pm
GomeY3K

Vamp PCRPG

I have been into Role Playing for quite a while and played the "pen and Paper" Vampire the Masquerade at my local game store with a group. When I heard that a computer game was coming out I was excited but after getting it and playing it I was extremely disapointed. The graphics were great but it was Extremely to linear, there was no choice of clans you could join (my favorite that I always role play is the Tzimisce), and it playing it solo it was hard to keep track of and use the various disciplines in a fight. I played it almost to the end and lost interest. I hate the "Save the World" or "Save the Kindred" theme and going out and pillaging the city wasn't an option.
Post Fri Jun 21, 2002 7:35 pm

Mattias Kreku
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

I usually don't like linear games (and this game is the definition of linear), but this game was so pretty and well executed that I liked it anyhow. I think I saw it as an interactive movie where I had the leading part but had a mean director who forced me to follow the manuscript to 100%.
Post Mon Jun 24, 2002 4:58 pm
Shadeling
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

I was mightily disappointed in V:TR, I posted as much in the other thread. It was a very pretty game but I was so let down in how Nihilistic decided against using the actual system Vampire was built around. If only Bioware or Black Isle had developed it instead, then perhaps they would have done the game justice.

"Those who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night." - Edgar Allen Poe
Post Tue Jun 25, 2002 1:42 am
Emech
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I liked this game. (And I got it cheap - $15AU)
Graphics are above average, the multiplayer module attempted to recreate a DM experience (rare) and I LOVED that it was something other then orcs/trolls/skeletons etc. etc. (and thet you were something other then "a hero"

BUT (and there always is one)

It is fairly hack & slash. I HATE hack & slash....Im playing for plot and "world interaction" not seek the biggest/baddest item or character stats (this feature turns me off most RPGS..and most MMPRPG in particular)......with the "demise" of adventure games RPG has filled the gap...but I'm still looking for that "killer app"...maybe gothic 2??
Post Wed Jul 03, 2002 3:55 am
mDrop
High Emperor
High Emperor

Vampire was one of the biggest disappointments I've had in games. I waited for it really long, especially for the multiplayer part. I've played both Vampire and Werewolf as PnP and loved them both, so expections were high.

The singleplayer was extremely linear, with some minor decisions and the combat really sucked, although after you found the correct spells, everything was extremely easy to kill, even the final big guys didn't stand a chance against my character...

The multiplayer was lousy too, with DMs just throwing monsters around and powergamers running amok in lousy modules. Because of that experience, I'm really scared to start seriously trying out the MP aspect of NWN, focusing on the single player game first...

The game could be decent, if you don't expect anything more than linear hack'n'slash with a hard interface

- Member of The Nonflamers' Guild -
- Member of The Alliance of Middle-Earth -
- Worshiper of Written Word -
- Proud supporter of E.H.U.A.O -
Post Wed Jul 03, 2002 3:16 pm
non-euclid
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

I had fun, untill I got t New York...then I kinda gave up. And stopped playing it. I wonder what happened at the end. Well, maybe not...
Post Wed Jul 03, 2002 8:01 pm
DarkWeaver
A Dark Prince
A Dark Prince

Re: Opinions on Vampire: Masquerade?

Fantastic game! its ashame i cant play it on Win Xp
Post Mon Feb 02, 2004 1:47 am

Goto page 1, 2  Next