View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > CRPGs General

Author Thread
stanthony
One Smart Dog
One Smart Dog

quote:
Originally posted by Joey Nipps
In general, RPGs are about (at least in principal) simulating reality.

Yep. However, in reality you're more likely to meet a merry-go-round on a town square full of crates, than a donkey with 1000 pounds of ammo trying to fight a lizardmen and an ugly sceleton with a crossbow

No offense to RPGs though. Just came to my mind
Post Fri Nov 01, 2002 3:11 pm
Gerad
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Wow thanks for info on horses I didn`t know

I always thought a horse could basically gallop a whole day without getting tired or stopping.

but a question just like in humans some are able to run greater distances and longer than others. There must be some horses that can gallop for many miles without quitting???

anyway don`t forget it's RPGs there is magic!!!!!! the horse can be magical problem solved, better yet why even have a horse

how bout an RPG where you get to be a dragon rider that would be GREAT!!!!
good idea for a game you get to raise a dragon and you and the dragon go on adventures. Dragon grows with you.

actually I recall there being a panazer dragon RPG I think???? It was for dreamcast I read about it a few years ago anyone ever play it??? A dragon rider RPG would be pretty cool!!!
Post Sat Nov 02, 2002 8:36 am
Provis
High Emperor
High Emperor

DragonRiders: Chronicles of Pern had dragons in it, I don't know how you interacted with them so I don't know if you could directly control them or what.

Drakan: Order of the Flame You could fly a dragon around, it wasn't really an RPG though.

Panzer Dragoon (Originally for Saturn, later ported to the PC) was a shooter.
Panzer Dragoon Saga (for Saturn) was an RPG, I don't know how you interacted with dragons.
Panzer Dragoon Orta (for XBox) is going to be an RPG and I don't know how you will interact with dragons.

Boy, I sure was helpful wasn't I.

"Yea, so what I didn't like Planescape: Torment, what are you gonna do about it?" - Provis
Post Sat Nov 02, 2002 9:36 am
ButtOfMalmsey
Village Idiot
Village Idiot

Panzer Dragoon Saga was great. It was essentially an amalgam of flying sequences on your dragon (you could customize the very nature of your dragon- whether it specialized in attack, defense, or mobility), coupled with more RPG-like sequences where you were not riding your dragon. It took a bit of effort to get to the point where you actually got the dragon, which was kind of neat. I totally loved that game (and when I get some money, I'm buying a Saturn and a copy of Panzer Dragoon Saga.)

There is a fairly persistent rumor that World of Warcraft will have horses and wargs for travel purposes. Also, some wizkid came up with a ridable horse hakpack in NWN.

I saw this in a movie about a bus that had to SPEED around a city, keeping its SPEED over fifty, and if its SPEED dropped, it would explode. I think it was called, "The Bus That Couldn't Slow Down."
-Homer Simpson

=Member of the Non-Flamers Guild=
=Member of The Sixth House=
::Captain of the Black Company::
Post Sun Nov 03, 2002 1:01 am
Nukester
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

I believe Wizards and Warriors had horseback travel as well
Post Sun Nov 03, 2002 3:06 am
Provis
High Emperor
High Emperor

Yes it did.

It also had a raft and a boat.

"Yea, so what I didn't like Planescape: Torment, what are you gonna do about it?" - Provis
Post Mon Nov 04, 2002 6:06 am
Gig
Southern Spirit
Southern Spirit

quote:
Originally posted by Gerad
but a question just like in humans some are able to run greater distances and longer than others. There must be some horses that can gallop for many miles without quitting???
Yes and no... wild mustangs have been known to run for several hours, as a herd, without stopping and all horses naturally run for exercise. A wild mustang, like a human marathon runner, is running unburdened. Once you add a 120lb person and another 30 to 100lbs of gear you cause the horse an unnatural weight increase. It becomes the equivalent of the marathon runner running while carrying a backpack. The extra bulk and weight would necessarily lead to the runner being slower and achieving a significantly shorter distance of travel. The runner probably couldn't run for as long as normal either. Plus a marathon runner must spend years conditioning themselves to run those great distances--the same would apply to a horse. While a horse probably could be conditioned to be a distance runner, there are reasons why most aren't. A person runs at a very slow speed on very robust ankles while a horse runs at a high speed on relatively weak ankles. Horses that are run while carrying a rider are prone to very serious injury and become lame much earlier than normal. That's the reason why , in general, race horses have such short careers, they tighten up and lose the winning edge. Also, a horse that ran great distances would probably rely on pacing more than speed, just like a person does. The maximum distance the horse was capable of traveling probably couldn't be achieved at a full gallop.
quote:
Originally posted by Gerad
anyway don`t forget it's RPGs there is magic!!!!!! the horse can be magical problem solved
Yes, I know, but I have a habit of trying to contribute in really boring ways that I don't realize are boring until I post and see the results.
''Perhaps I'm old and tired but I always think that the chances of finding out what really is going on are so absurdly remote that the only thing to do is to say hang the sense of it and just keep yourself occupied. Look at me: I design coastlines. I got an award for Norway.''--Slartibartfast
Post Wed Nov 06, 2002 12:59 pm
Joey Nipps
Orcan High Command
Orcan High Command

quote:
Originally posted by Gig
but I have a habit of trying to contribute in really boring ways that I don't realize are boring until I post and see the results.

I find nothing boring about good, factual and well thought out information about a topic - don't apologize.

BTW, as another example of what you are illustrating - take the Pony Express riders of the American old west. These people took the mail cross country for fast mail delivery in those days - by riding horses cross country. However, these men rode one horse only so far - swapping it with a fresh horse to continue. All because horses cannot be run fast for extremely long times.
Post Wed Nov 06, 2002 2:45 pm
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

@Gig: As Jaz would say, I can now add this to my Secret Source of Obscure Trivia.
Post Wed Nov 06, 2002 6:12 pm
Lintra
Elf Friend
Elf Friend

[quote="Joey Nipps"]
quote:
Originally posted by Gig

BTW, as another example of what you are illustrating - take the Pony Express riders of the American old west. These people took the mail cross country for fast mail delivery in those days - by riding horses cross country. However, these men rode one horse only so far - swapping it with a fresh horse to continue. All because horses cannot be run fast for extremely long times.

This was not unique to the pony express. The English post road are just that - they were used to transport mail (post). Every 2 hours or so the coach would stop, and the horses be exchanged ... this allowed the mail (and a limited number of passengers) to cross the island as quickly as possible. The same was done in the American colonies (thusly the Boston post road (rte 1)). The inns at which the spare horses were kept were known as staging posts ... thusly the term Stage Coach. The trip was made in a bunch of fast "stages" with short stops inbetween.

I know the French used a similar set up during Napolean's era ... and maybe sooner. It was the fastest way (short of semaphores) to transmit data ... that people could tag along was just an added bonus.
Post Wed Nov 06, 2002 6:27 pm

Goto page Previous  1, 2