View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - General

Author Thread
nwmagi
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Character issues..

Thanks for all the help grimm!

I'm worried about my current character.. I'm a mage with enchant, restoration, light armor, long blade and security as my primary skills. I have alchemy, the rest of the mage skills minus destruction and illusion and sneak as my secondary skills. My sign is the Lover. (+25 agility).. Did I screw myself? I just found out that primary skills only raise at 50% if they are outside your area of specialization, ie:mage.... Let me know what you think.. Will I have probs later or should I play this character till the end.. I don't mind making another character now.. It's kinda fun doing that... I boost the speed to 60 and make up time super fast.. Might even kick it a little higher if I start another character again.. I tried an Atronach pure mage the first time.. Lets put it this way the assasin was kicking my but until I tried this latest character that is a response to that.. I'm thinking about restarting with a mage but have light armor as a primary skill then all mage skills after that... Maybe do the Mage or be a Breton and do the Aprentice sign? The Atronach is just a PIA for me.. I know super powers and all but it drives me crazy when I'm outa potions and the ##### is whooping my butt so I'm screwed like I was with my first character. Let me all know what you think.. This is one of the funnest things about this game.. Puting the pieces of this monster together!
Post Thu Nov 18, 2004 3:22 am
gdgrimm
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

You should be able to handle the game with any character. It just might be more difficult with some than others, and you'll be best off using different strategies depending on your character.

If you're new, try sticking with one of the predefined characters. Just pick the one that seems to fit the type of game play you want.

For example, in dealing with the assassin....

A pure Mage will have a tough time. They usually depend on distance spells and/or buff spells (i.e. Fortify Strength, Shield, etc., etc.) as their primary combat methods. The assassin doesn't allow the pure Mage time to do that. So the Mage has to try something else. Potions work instantaneously, so perhaps Fortify Health might keep you around long enough to win the fight and get the Restor Healths going. But most likely, your best bet will be to use Divine Intervention, Recall, or some other teleportation means to just get away. The assassin has the upper hand, so leave to fight another day. As you reach mid-levels, the Mage will have plenty of potions and enchanted items to deal with the assassin without running, but early on, it'll be tough.

If you don't like the idea of your character running from a fight like this, you might want to try playing a Spellsword. They're primarily magic based, but they use some of the med/heavy armors and melee weapons, too. They'll be more likely to survive the quick, close-in fight the assassin deals out.
Post Mon Nov 22, 2004 9:35 pm