Usergroups
The hardest RPGs...
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > CRPGs General

Author Thread
GoAt
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

there are MANY MANY MANY MANY MANY RPGs out there, but there are always those that just seem impossible to beat.

as i said before i am a big console buff so many of these will be for a console of some sort.

1: Ultima :NES: (IMO) THE hardest RPG i have ever played. you select classes and skills at the beginning, but no matter what you choose, the monsters are insanely hard, and the bosses are just impossible. never beat this game, spent 5 months on it and got to the final dongeon but oi couldnt get past the monsters.

2: FF1 :NES: prolly the most second hardest RPG i have played, nice interface even for NES. depending on the classes you choose realy determines the difficulty. i chose a party that was a bit below the "balenced" area, the recomeneded lvl to beat chaos (end boss) was 24-26. i got my guys to 28 but i was wasted in 4 turns, finaly i got lucky and beat it.

3: FF2 :SNES: this games' difficulty realy depends on how you raise your people, i found the Moon and the end the most difficult. the monsters in the moon were crazy (escpecialy the malboros) and the end bosses were just insane.

4: Milons seceret castle :NES: if any of you have played this or even heard of this game, you may say its not an RPG or that its somwhat RPGish. well you lvl up and you have to collect and buy items to get stronger, and there is puzzle solving for the castle rooms. this game has no saving abilities so that alone make it hard. the monsters were somwhat hard, but the bosses were too stong. this was not a game you could rush though. you literaly had to stay in an area of the castle just to be on par with the boss that you previously beat. a game i never beat.

Post Thu Sep 06, 2001 5:53 am
Rendelius
Critical Error
Critical Error

Most of you will laugh at me now, but I found Soulbringer was incredibly hard. And dull, somehow *g*

Post Thu Sep 06, 2001 7:22 am
Maggot
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

I found System Shock 2 too hard to play through. On Normal difficulty, I had run out of cash for clones and a seemingly infinite respawn of zombies kept coming at me. I just grew bored.
Post Thu Sep 06, 2001 10:55 am
Michael C
Black Dragon
Black Dragon

Rendelius: hehe! Soulbringer may be long and not so addictive, but not that diffecult.

I recall the higher numbers of the Wizardry series to be very tough to finish without cheating! But maybe it was because I played them in my early unexperienced years!
Post Thu Sep 06, 2001 11:34 am
Garrett

Stonekeep - I gave up in the middle of the game, even though I loved it then
Post Thu Sep 06, 2001 12:00 pm
Stiletto
God Emperor
God Emperor

I thought Ultima V was very tough. In the begining you are always starving, and in the end you are getting your butt kicked in the underworld. Not to mention leveling takes awhile!

Post Thu Sep 06, 2001 12:07 pm
Maggot
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

I also gave up on Arena, and Daggerfall, but Daggerfall was mostly because of the bugs (ever tried running/jumping inside a dungeon?) I didn't finish Wizardry 7, but that was more because I was stuck for things to do rather than actually giving up on a monster.

Come to think of it, there's not too many RPG's I have actually finished

Lands of Lore, Icewind Dale, Baldur's Gate II are just about it, that I can remember.... I take it we're not counting Diablo?

I forgot Fallout, I finished that, too.

Man, do I suck.

[ This Message was edited by: Maggot on 2001-09-06 07:10 ]
Post Thu Sep 06, 2001 12:09 pm
Rangstrom
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Wiz4 without a doubt. I never came close to finishing.
Post Thu Sep 06, 2001 3:18 pm
HiddenX
The Elder Spy
The Elder Spy

rule of thumb:

older games are harder than the new ones
---

hard to play:

Might Magic 2 - u are outnumbered 1 to 50 at times - (i love black ticket fights)

Jagged Alliance 1 & 2 & Deadly Games & Unfinished Business - challenging

Battle Isle - Incubation - one wrong step and you're dead !!!

Wizardry 7 - i finished it without cheating

Bards Tale 2 - u need a Brother Kringle in your party

Dungeon Master - difficulty depends on the party u choose

Wizards and Warriors (only in the beginning)

Icewind Dale 1 - I needed 10 hours to beat the final opponent (with reloading)

Daggerfall - these dungeons are HUGE !

Hx
Post Thu Sep 06, 2001 9:57 pm
Garrett

hehe, i know someone who also needed a lot of tries to beat the final opponent in icewind dale, but as for stonekeep, i gave up in the middle of the game, and believe me, i played a lot of games
Post Fri Sep 07, 2001 12:51 am
GoAt
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

you do gotta give older games credit for their difficulty. anyone who doesnt love a game for its challenge is retarted.
i love to play games for the challenge and gameplay, not for the GFX or the ear candy. seems like these days, grafics make a game rather game play.
PONG. 3 pixels, 2 players. i dont care how good you thought you were, there was always a time when you got waxed. Speaking of wich, i would love to see versions of pong go online

Post Fri Sep 07, 2001 3:42 am
Draszmar
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Hehe, are you referring to my little self, Garrett? OK, I have to admit, I nearly finished Icewind Dale and then the final baddie always kicked my a$$. However, after playing BG2 with all its high-ranking mages, liches, demi-liches and dragons it was really a piece of cake.

I never finished Stonekeepalso, like Garrett. There was one level, when you set your foot into it, you were destroyed in an instant.

But IMO the hardest CRPG ever (and one of the best) is Wizardry 7, Crusaders Of The Dark Savant. Never finished it, but I try every 3 years or so.
Post Fri Sep 07, 2001 11:33 am

"Icewind Dale 1 - I needed 10 hours to beat the final opponent (with reloading)"

"hehe, i know someone who also needed a lot of tries to beat the final opponent in icewind dale,"

"I nearly finished Icewind Dale and then the final baddie always kicked my a$$."

Wow.
Difficult? The last boss was simple. Geesh. He was easy. I just sent my 2 fighters after him and they killed him. My cleric/ranger and cleric just healed and my two wizards didn't do anything. I didn't reload once. I didn't cheat either. What did he do that was so difficult for you? He was so easy for me. That's strange...
Post Sat Oct 13, 2001 5:50 pm

Jay
Fearless Paladin
Fearless Paladin

I never played any of the Wizardy series, but the game I found to be the hardest was Ultima Underworld 2. One of my first PC RPGs, I kept missing secret doors, and never completed it. Its a game I always meant to go back to.
Post Sun Oct 14, 2001 1:16 pm
Zhakov
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

The first rpg I ever played was pool of radiance, and i had no idea got my ass handed to me to many times by mere goblins and kobolds in the slums, finaly a relative who had played it through took pity and lent me a few of the maps he made and I managed to finish it. Then I went back and compleated it with 4 characters, I tried it with two but other games got in the way

Post Mon Oct 15, 2001 7:32 am

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next