What are you reading now?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Books & Movies

Author Thread
Arma
Mysterious Lady
Mysterious Lady

What are you reading now?

I just finished yesterday Harry Potter & the Order of The Phonix (again), and am right now in a dilemma to go back to reading Interview with a Vampire or to go pick up The DaVinchi Code by Dan Brown.
Post Sat Jun 12, 2004 2:17 am
gothic_army_babe_202
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

hey

quote:

yo lol iv read the order of the pheonix about 50 thousand times lol ive read the 1st 2nd 3rd abd 4th so many times i lost count but now im reading the vampire lestat and queen of the damned so yea....

Post Sat Jun 12, 2004 4:49 am
Arma
Mysterious Lady
Mysterious Lady

I must say that I definately not read neither book more than twice, and that is definately no excuse of mocking me up!
Post Sat Jun 12, 2004 6:36 am
Conan The Librarian
City Guard
City Guard

Well, the only book I've read more than twice which I'm not ashamed of is Black Hawk Down which I read three times. I read it a third time just convine myself that Jerry Bruckheimer hadn't. Then again, I don't think he took History as a subject on the conviction of Pearl Harbour.

What's wrong reading a book more than once, if you enjoy it or compelled by it why not. The last thing I read was the story, Rogues in the House from The Conan Chronicles Volume 1 by R.E. Howard. I have tendacy to read snippets from the books I've read.

Last edited by Conan The Librarian on Sat Jun 12, 2004 10:48 am; edited 1 time in total
Post Sat Jun 12, 2004 10:25 am
Arma
Mysterious Lady
Mysterious Lady

I don't say somethings wrong with reading a book more than once, just that gothic_army_babe_202 was pretty much exaggerating that I have read the HP series so many times that I have lost count.
The only series I have lost count to how many times I have read and reread them are my Thraxas books and the Discworld series.
Post Sat Jun 12, 2004 10:48 am
Conan The Librarian
City Guard
City Guard

[quote="Lady Armageddona"]I don't say somethings wrong with reading a book more than once.

I never did, I was talking matter of factly. I was trying to defend your honour, my lady.
Post Sat Jun 12, 2004 11:06 am
Toaster
Bread Alert
Bread Alert

The latest thing I've read was the latest number of the Swedish PC Gamer. Normally I read tons of books, but right now I don't, for some reason. Anyway the latest book I've read was Michael Moore's Stupid White Men.

Tabbrowser Extensions
DictionarySearch
Post Sat Jun 12, 2004 11:40 am
RPG Frog
Blade Runner
Blade Runner

I started reading Gardens of the Moon by Steven Erickson. Supposedly they already have 5 of 10 books on shelves in Canada. What interests me about this series is that I hear that each book is self-contained and has a complete story and that you can pick any book you want and read it. So far the writing and details are excellent. I hope each of this Canadian's books are this good. I am personally sick of all modern fantasy being written as a meal-ticket in which you have to read 20 books or you have no idea what is going on. The only person I can stand who does this is Jordan...because he started the trend and Wheel of Time is very good. But this Malazan Book of the Fallen series should be good...if each book is self-conained with a beginning, middle, and end like I have heard.
Between the years when the oceans drank Atlantis and the gleaming cities…there was an Age undreamed of, when shining kingdoms lay spread across the world like blue mantles beneath the stars…Hither came Conan, the Cimmerian, black-haired, sullen-eyed, sword in hand…to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandaled feet. - Robert E. Howard
Post Sat Jun 12, 2004 4:59 pm
Namirrha
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

I've been reading Milton's "Paradise Lost" and the Lone Wolf and Cub manga. Good stuff.
Post Sat Jun 12, 2004 6:04 pm
piln
High Emperor
High Emperor

Stupid White Men, Sandman comics and Blood Meridian (by Cormack McCarthy).

I haven't read many books more than once... in fact, Neuromancer is the only one I can remember right now.
Post Sat Jun 12, 2004 7:11 pm
Hexy
High Emperor
High Emperor

Currently reading Hubbert's Peak: The Impending World Oil Shortage.
Pretty good insight into Peak Oil, gives pretty good basic knowledge.
Post Sat Jun 12, 2004 8:01 pm
piln
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
Originally posted by Hexy
Currently reading Hubbert's Peak: The Impending World Oil Shortage.

That sounds interesting. I did some study about dwindling resources with the Open University a few years back and was quite alarmed at what I learned. When was the book written?
Post Sat Jun 12, 2004 8:10 pm
Hexy
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:

That sounds interesting. I did some study about dwindling resources with the Open University a few years back and was quite alarmed at what I learned. When was the book written?

In 2003.
Although I find it a bit overly technical at some points.
So a better recommendation would be: The Party's Over: Oil, War and the Fate of Industrial Societies (also in 2003).
Post Sat Jun 12, 2004 9:03 pm
gothic_army_babe_202
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

W/e

quote:
I don't say somethings wrong with reading a book more than once, just that gothic_army_babe_202 was pretty much exaggerating that I have read the HP series so many times that I have lost count.

JUST TO LET U KNO I WASNT MAKIN FUN OF U I WAS JUST TELLIN U THE BOOKS I HAV READ L8LY THAT WAS WUT UR TOPIS IS About right? U DONT NEED TO GET ALL PISSED OFF AT ME!

Post Sun Jun 13, 2004 12:07 am
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Going to read Order of the Phoenix soon... I read books one to four so I wouldn't be lost when I saw Prisoner of Azkaban (I haven't seen the others as I'm not really interesting in Harry Potter... it's something my girlfriend likes.) and they were ok.

Beyond that... Immortalis by Salvatore is still waiting to be read, as is something random I got passed to me, and I want to re-read a few Gibson novels (starting with Neuromancer, of course)...

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

=Member of the Nonflamers Guild=
=Worshipper of the Written Word=
Post Sun Jun 13, 2004 6:30 am

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next