UO: Samurai Empire - Live Server Publish Schedule
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > News Comments

Author Thread
Moriendor
Black Ring Leader
Black Ring Leader

UO: Samurai Empire - Live Server Publish Schedule

EA has revealed the schedule for the 'Ultima Online: Samurai Empire' launch publish at the <a href="http://update.uo.com/fyi.html" target="_blank">UO Update Center</a> (currently first post from top... you may have to scroll down a little depending on their news update frequency).
Post Wed Nov 03, 2004 1:31 am
Corvwyn
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Shameless

This expansion pack is really shameless. How much more do they want to screw up britannia and the ultima world. They've put a lot of stuff into the mix and now they've even go samurai. Just because you put lots of individually cool things in one game doesn't mean that it fits. What's next? Count Dracula, frankenstein's monster, werewolves, cyborgs, jedi and laser pistols...? I mean how much do they want to milk out of uo...

I think they should start on a relatively clean slate. They should use what they learned from making UO when richard garriot was still at origin. I mean, it's a mess now, and let's admit it UO isn't going to last forever. Time to think ahead. The argument that UO needs to work on older machines is hardly valid anymore, it's bloody 7 years old.

I don't know how this will work out, since they've already cancelled two mmorpg ultima games. First UO2 (which looked brilliant) and UOX (which I can't really call an ultima). Apparently people are buying all these expansions and playing UO, since I know that EA doesn't work without profit.

Ok, I've ranted enough. If someone agrees with me (which I think/hope you do) join in...
Post Wed Nov 03, 2004 1:31 am

I hope you don't mind me joining in and disagreeing (slightly) with you. I think EA is doing exactly the right thing with UO, given the fact the want to consolidate their position as one of the MMORPG marketleaders. I agree on the need for a bit of ranting as the spirit of the SP Ultima's and even the Spirit of the first year of UO is long gone.

[url]What's next? Count Dracula, frankenstein's monster, werewolves, cyborgs, jedi and laser pistols...? [/url]

Yes, probably. And a Jurrasic episode. And a lot of interstellar travelling, with spaceships... And that would not (per def.) be a bad thing. Ultima has never been consitent or fair-fantasy-only. Even Richard Garriot could have made a Samurai Expansion Pack.

[url]The argument that UO needs to work on older machines is hardly valid anymore, it's bloody 7 years old. [/url]

Its not only the computer;
- I think there are still a lot of 56k modems out there.
- I can only agree with them focussing on gameplay, fan-base growth and new content instead of groundbreaking graphics. Better graphics will imm. result in less (varied) content.
- Though the engine might be 7 years old, they sure did improve the graphics ( 3d models since Blackthorns revenge, I think)
- not improving the engine has another major pro; uo will be (is) playable on notebooks and moblible phones.

[url]I don't know how this will work out, since they've already cancelled two mmorpg ultima games[/url]

It will work out fine for them and a lot of UO fans. (Not for 'us') Samurai Empire might even strengthen their fanbase in the far-east.

From the long-term-fan-and-disappointed-dragon-point-view there is nothing to be gained here. EA will produce profitable, playable, main-stream, no-risk-involved Ultima games.

[url]Apparently people are buying all these expansions and playing UO, since I know that EA doesn't work without profit. [/url]

Yes, and a SP ultima or a UO 'with the true spirit of U4/5/6/7/8' would probably be a marketing directors nightmare.

Sad, but true,

Parc
Post Wed Nov 03, 2004 8:54 am

Parcival
Rightful Heir To The Throne
Rightful Heir To The Throne

That was me,
Alias Parcival Dragon -=UDIC=-
Post Wed Nov 03, 2004 8:59 am
Corvwyn
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

You're not the only one who forgets to login sometimes, hehe.

Although I may not know Richard Garriot enough to be 100% sure, I really don't think he would have added the samurai addon. I think this is just a way of trying to get more money by adding things that seem cool individually. Guess we can't really know the answer to this one.

- Graphics doesn't have much to do with internet connections. The graphics are already on the hd, so this only depends on the computer.
- While better graphics has a tendency to lead to less content this doesn't necessarily have to be the case. They have the ultima world, they have skills, gameplay etc.
- They did add 3d to ultima, but I can't really say it looks much better. It still has the same 2d tiles as backgrounds...
- Most notebooks can play most mmorpgs out there. Maybe not the most graphically intensive ones. This would change in the 2-3 years it would take to make a "uo2".

I can't really speak for uo fans since I'm not part of them anymore and I don't really know anyone that still play it. The problem with uo is that it's not really going to gain any new players, mainly because of the outdated graphics and maybe also all the exp packs.
Post Wed Nov 03, 2004 5:31 pm
Chekote
Where’s my Banana?!?!
Where’s my Banana?!?!

I see a lot of people complaining about this (I also think its a bad idea), but I dont see how people can say its not "Ultima"

In ultima 1, was there not a "Land of the Feudal lords", with samurai etc?
Post Wed Nov 03, 2004 10:54 pm