Usergroups
Gandalf: Newest member of the family
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Absolutely Off Topic

Author Thread
Sem
Solid as a Rock
Solid as a Rock

It's more Gandalf the Grey (or Brown) now.
Can he still go into the Koala mode, that pic is very funny.
Post Fri Jan 27, 2006 11:36 am
xSamhainx
Paws of Doom
Paws of Doom

Yeah, I think it was Dhruin who said he's more like Rhadagast the Brown

Gimli does have far more white in him too. "Eyes like a hawk and ears like a Fox" is definitely his motto tho, he's a wildcat, always chasing hummingbirds and basically anything that moves. Gandy is far more laid-back.
“Then away out in the woods I heard that kind of a sound that a ghost makes when it wants to tell about something that's on its mind and can't make itself understood, and so can't rest easy in its grave, and has to go about that way every night grieving.”-Mark Twain
Post Fri Jan 27, 2006 3:45 pm
xSamhainx
Paws of Doom
Paws of Doom

quote:
Originally posted by Sem
It's more Gandalf the Grey (or Brown) now.
Can he still go into the Koala mode, that pic is very funny.

Nope, his face is too dark now and his neck too big. Tho Gimli does tend to go into "Raccoon Mode" now and then.

“Then away out in the woods I heard that kind of a sound that a ghost makes when it wants to tell about something that's on its mind and can't make itself understood, and so can't rest easy in its grave, and has to go about that way every night grieving.”-Mark Twain
Post Sun Jan 29, 2006 11:02 pm
xSamhainx
Paws of Doom
Paws of Doom

Cats are like pringles, you cant just have one, or two

This is Gizmo, the LAST ragdoll kitten we will be getting. Yeah, I know, "Gizmo" is about as original as Jim Smith. I tried to get her to name him Gollum, Theoden, or something but no dice. "Gizmo" it is

cute little fella tho, he's pretty fiesty too. Stood right up and hissed back at Gandalf, who's like quadruple his size! Gandy tried picking on him since he's new, it was pretty funny

Post Mon Apr 03, 2006 1:47 am
Darrius Cole
Most Exalted Highlord
Most Exalted Highlord

A question about dog...err, CAT-years

This is a slight tangent but I didn't think it warranted a thread for one question.

There is a cat that live outside my cousin's house. Actually he was born in my cousin's house, but he isn't my cousin's cat. I have been wondering what phase of life he is in. This cat is somwhere around 18 months old. I don't know how that translates into human years. He looks big enough but he still seems kind of clumsy and not too tough when compared to other cats. Is he an adult, or is he still an adolescent? Will he learn to hold his own, or is he just doomed to a life of being a clumsy, wimpy cat?

I figure I would put the question here, since I don't know and, obviously, Sammy would know.
Post Fri Apr 14, 2006 3:42 pm
Neo_Genesis
The Assassin
The Assassin

Samhain, Gizmo is adorable! I just love the vright blue eyes. And it seems you have a "taste" for the color white when it comes to cats
Post Fri Apr 14, 2006 5:30 pm
xSamhainx
Paws of Doom
Paws of Doom

@ Neo - yes, they are exquisite cats and awesome temperments. The dealer we get ours from gives us show quality cats, for pet quality price!

@Darrius-

Well, cats develop and go thru what we would consider "puberty" and adolescence very quickly, going from kitten to young adulthood in roughly two years. The conventional wisdom I've heard on this matter is five to seven cat years per one cat year. This however is not very accurate at all, especially when considering the first couple years of very fast development, anyone who has had a kitten is often suprised how truly fast they grow. A two year old human being is absolutely helpless and dependent, a two year old cat is arguably a young adult, and quite able to fend for themselves if they absolutely must. We have been told by a couple diff vets that the first two years of a cat's life pans out to roughly 24 of ours, so I would say that the cat in question is quickly approaching or is at his feline twenty-fourth birthday, so to speak. After two years, cat years from that point are approximated in four year increments, so in three years he would be roughly 28 years old, and so on and so forth.

He'll continute to grow and mature a bit more, but he's sorta where he's gonna be where he's at. Every cat is arguably different, so there's a few factors that one needs to consider in a situation like this. First of all, the breed of cat and length of coat, his environment, and the individual cat's temperment and adaptability. Many of us have had a stray cat who frequents our backyard, we feed it, and that may go on for months or even years until it finds greener pastures, or gets flattened by a car or becomes a predator's lunch or something. Out here in Cali, strays usually dont last too long anywhere but the heart of the big city, where their only enemy is arguably man and his machines. The weather is manageable, but the mountains are always right around the corner elsewhere in suburbia and whatnot, and with the mountains comes coyotes and other such predators that will make a short snack of them. Plus, more rural cats tend to be not-so-hip to the dangers posed by cars as their more urban bretheren, I just about ran off the road and crashed just last week trying to avoid some weirdo cat trotting across the road in front of my truck, like he was just out for a little stroll in the road.

I would just play it by ear, if he's big and fat, chances are he's not having any trouble getting his paws on food. If he has shelter of some sort, and has lasted this long, he very well may be alright. Me and my family have only fairly recently become pedigree cat owners, all our prior cats have come from the pound. I'd venture to say that most people actually either get one from the pound, or adopt a stray.

Aside from being a cheaper route, it's just a good thing to do. So if he doesnt seem like he can hack it, I wouldnt hesitate to take him to an animal shelter if you or someone else doesnt want to adopt him personally. Chances are, some big, dumb, clumsy cat might be exactly what someone else is looking for. Especially at his young age, he is a far more likely candidate for adoption, and you might want to cut his carousing short before there are several big, clumsy cats scampering around, if you know what I mean.
Post Fri Apr 14, 2006 6:11 pm

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3