Jade Empire PC Announced
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > News Comments

Author Thread
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land
Stranger In A Strange Land

Jade Empire PC Announced

BioWare has officially revealed a PC version of <a href="http://jade.bioware.com/" target="_blank">Jade Empire</a> with the site sporting a "Coming to PC" sign. The <a href="http://jade.bioware.com/pc/" target="_blank">Jade Empire PC page</a> has some "Enhanced for the PC" features:<blockquote><em>* Customizable, intuitive controls including support for game-pads and keyboard/mouse. <br>* Increased graphics resolutions and new visual effects. <br>* New monsters and enemies. <br>* New fighting styles. <br>* Improved combat AI and difficulty levels. <br>* New world map interface.</em></blockquote>You'll also find some screens on the same page.
Post Mon May 08, 2006 10:54 pm

I knew it I knew it would come to PC any decent game the xbox gets (wich is only a few) comes to the PC.

Cant wait to try this on the PC like these types of games martial arts games just hope the chink related activities is minimal in this game and more japan related activities and their better not be any american mentality activities in this game.
Post Mon May 08, 2006 10:57 pm

Maylander
High Emperor
High Emperor

Looks interesting, not enough RPGs with chinese/japanese inspiration. If they actually enhance it and turn it into a PC game and not just a console game playable on PC, this might just be a really good game.
Post Mon May 08, 2006 11:03 pm
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

Good news! I was hoping this game would eventually make it's way to the PC.
Post Tue May 09, 2006 3:08 am
dagoo77

I played this game on Xbox (and even finished it) and was not overly impressed. I was somewhat of a fan of the two star wars games and was expecting a similar experience, but was sadly disappaointed. It is an interesting game and enjoyable in its own way, but the combat and character development only have the vaguest relationship to an rpg. This is really more of a combat/fighting game with a good story and some very limited character development choices.

Moreover, I am by no means a twitch gamer and rarely play an action game (never fighting sims) and the game was ridiculously easy if you used the right moves (again and again and again). I played on the most difficult setting and it was still far too simplistic. I really only played through for the story.

Once again, not a bad game in its own way, just not really an rpg or what I was expecting. They might actually improve the gameplay for the PC version as well. Just wanted to give my two cents on this.
Post Tue May 09, 2006 10:39 am

txa1265
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

I have been told that the game isn't nearly as good as the scores suggest, but can be fun ... I tend to like Bioware's stuff, so I'm likely to give it a shot ...

Check out my blog.
Post Tue May 09, 2006 11:01 am
doctor_kaz
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

quote:
Originally posted by dagoo77
I played this game on Xbox (and even finished it) and was not overly impressed. I was somewhat of a fan of the two star wars games and was expecting a similar experience, but was sadly disappaointed. It is an interesting game and enjoyable in its own way, but the combat and character development only have the vaguest relationship to an rpg. This is really more of a combat/fighting game with a good story and some very limited character development choices.

Moreover, I am by no means a twitch gamer and rarely play an action game (never fighting sims) and the game was ridiculously easy if you used the right moves (again and again and again). I played on the most difficult setting and it was still far too simplistic. I really only played through for the story.

Once again, not a bad game in its own way, just not really an rpg or what I was expecting. They might actually improve the gameplay for the PC version as well. Just wanted to give my two cents on this.

These were very common criticisms of the game. The press release touts improved enemy AI and tactics. Hopefully, that means that the problem with the combat being way too easy will be gone.

I'm excited about this. The game had beautiful art direction and I heard it had a great story, if nothing else. I'm looking forward to it. I'm really disappointed that Bioware has become more and more XBox-centric, but I'll gladly take any game by them, even if it's a port.
Post Tue May 09, 2006 12:52 pm
Father of Lies
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

I played it on Xbox and found it disappointing. The story is a rehash of BG2's (in the older game you had to save Imoen, in JE you have to save your martial arts master), the combat is very limited but worst of all, in my opinion, is that you do not get to explore at your leisure the world that Bioware created (or copied from chinese myths and legends and even history) but are from the beginning propulsed towards the end; the inclusion of flying vessels in the game really serves that purpose only, so that you're not sidetracked from the story and your main goal. So although there's a fair number of sidequests to do the game is very linear and short, taking about 35 hours to finish. It's a shame because the setting is rich and interesting and a refreshing change from the usual menu of orcs, elves and dwarves.
Post Tue May 09, 2006 10:01 pm

Like i said so its gonna be exactly like Fable type mentality game but in china and martial related arts
Post Wed May 10, 2006 1:32 am

Father of Lies
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Absolutely not: Fable is not a RPG. The fact that a game like JE has real time combat doesn't exclude it from being a RPG.
Post Wed May 10, 2006 9:54 pm