Usergroups
how far do you roleplay?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - General

Author Thread
Mephisto
Leader of the Senate
Leader of the Senate

Lol, you know, they are perfectly able to carry their laptop to my place. Hell, their laptops are more powerfull as my desktop. But I rather play a SP rpg then a MMORPG. No fun RP in a game together with Mister CoolD3wd and lady BigTits.

The idea of MMORPG is fun, but the majority of players arent. So the only thing left is playing with closed friends, either MP with a LAN/PnP or all playing the same game in SP. With MW you can even pretend to trade (I mod in his 1000 GP and remove the sword, he mods in the sword and removes the 1000gp).

But regardless, I am the only one without MW at the mom,. They all ordered it abroad, and I cant afford that, and I certainly wont pirate it. So for the moment THEY are RP and I am watching

Or to quote a friend of mine, 'life is what you make of it'. Enjoy your MW.
Post Thu May 23, 2002 1:46 pm
Rendelius
Critical Error
Critical Error

I do "silly things" to roleplay: I undress my character before sending him to bed. I do not reload dungeons (if I fail, it is taboo for me for that level). I seldom run. I stick to the decisions I made. I sleep once a day. I eat bread [/i]
Post Thu May 23, 2002 1:58 pm
7th Guest
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

quote:
Originally posted by Rendelius
I do "silly things" to roleplay: I undress my character before sending him to bed. I do not reload dungeons (if I fail, it is taboo for me for that level). I seldom run. I stick to the decisions I made. I sleep once a day. I eat bread [/i]

You are unemployed?

Sorry, no offense, but its sounds like you have very much time.
Or you'd like to play MW still in November 03

But again: I did not say my point is right and yours is wrong but instead that I play different than you do
Post Thu May 23, 2002 2:26 pm
SirVincealot
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

The little things

quote:
Originally posted by Rendelius

Aye!

'Tis simple courtesy to close doors when leaving, replace any used items and bid good-bye.

Thou dost get as much from roleplaying as thou dost put in. 'Tis a very different experience from "shooters" or "strategy."

'Twill be forever amusement to me how a grown man doth play "dress-up," "doll house" and "pretend" for hours, and doth call it "roleplaying" for fear o' the stigma.

Warmest regards,
SirVincealot

(verily, MORROWIND and FALLOUT are the only true CRPGs ever made)
Post Thu May 23, 2002 5:14 pm

Personally, I role play to a point... I will change small things about my character if something doesn't quite work out. Like in real life, if something just doesn't work out, you try a different angle or approach.

As for the closing doors, sleeping at set times and eating bread? I never close doors in my own house (except external ones), my sleep patterns fit my job and social life and I only eat so as not to starve.

Andy

PS. Counting trees could get expensive as you travel further afield to count new trees and then get arrested by greeks and have to pay court fees for spying charges
Post Thu May 23, 2002 5:55 pm

Bob
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

7th Guest
you seem in such a hurry to finish this game why rush if it takes you a year then it takes you a year so what time will spent if you enjoy it. Gotta love the people who "Real Life" people there so cool I wish I had friends too.

For me I try to RP to the fullest extent I am currently playing a Noble Honourable character so no stealing, I only kill bad people I dont use skills out of my class whenever possible I wouldnt use a poinson dagger because thats cheap etc..... Also I never ever restart if i fuck something up then well thats it gotta find another solution. I personally think this makes the game much much more challenging and enjoyable but thats just my opinion.
Post Thu May 23, 2002 6:05 pm
Mephisto
Leader of the Senate
Leader of the Senate

It took them 6 years to make MW. It might take them another 6 for TES4. So, I will play MW for 6 years. This gives me plenty of time to eat bread, close doors and undress:)
Post Thu May 23, 2002 6:12 pm
kamenjar
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Hmm as far as "Roleplay"... I switched from a pure mage to a Mage-Assasin/Thief (Illusionist) just beacause unarmored and destruction sucked even though I had cool AC unarmored.

As far as looks.. I enchanted my pauldrons and gloves with some stupid spells just so they look cool. I wear an ugly robe on top of cool-looking-chittin and glass helm just beacuse I am suposed to be a mage.

I refuse to use blunts and axes just because I prefer elegant deaths and specialize in shortsword to increase speed. Ahh... and I am still a do-gooder and I want to be evil... Mabe there is a way to join the Sixth House hehe
Post Thu May 23, 2002 6:16 pm

I'm assuming the reason you play an RPG (a single player one like this) is to follow through the story and become immersed in the world of the game... and roleplaying is how you do this. If instead you are playing to 'win', or somehow see through the surface to how to exploit the mechanics of the game, you are basically wasting your time even playing it.

Some people seem to have a slightly skewed view of life. You don't hang out with your friends to "communicate" or advance relationships... you just do it because it's the human thing to do. I get the horrible feeling from a few of the posts above that contrary to what you think you mean, you don't dislike roleplaying because it takes time away from your RL (sic), it's because you can't even roleplay (i.e. just relax and have fun) your RL.
Post Fri May 24, 2002 3:14 am

Sly Guy
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Before I engage in a session of Morrowind, I dress in my Wood-Elf costume, grab my shortsword and bow, and perform the ritual cast of "Second Barrier." I have my brother act as all NPC's and we play out every encounter. We battle, cast spells, chat, barter, and I occasionaly pickpocket him. Although this event usually erodes into awkward after-effects and general social rejection, we nevertheless continue for hours upon hours. Our sessions are usually ended when our D&D pals burst through the front door and declare my bedroom a province of some various empire. Of course, as brothers, friends, and Morrowind buddies with 100/100 relationship ratings, we mutually enage the intruders with Iron Sparkswords and Bound Daggers.
Post Fri May 24, 2002 6:11 am
7th Guest
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Sorry, 'Guest' but that's the most stupidiest post in this thread so far

quote:
I'm assuming the reason you play an RPG (a single player one like this) is to follow through the story and become immersed in the world of the game... and roleplaying is how you do this. If instead you are playing to 'win', or somehow see through the surface to how to exploit the mechanics of the game, you are basically wasting your time even playing it.

Just because you are not able to imagine where I get my fun from does not mean I can't get it, right ?

quote:
Some people seem to have a slightly skewed view of life. You don't hang out with your friends to "communicate" or advance relationships... you just do it because it's the human thing to do.

OMFG, that's really your pov? You must live a very sad live poor boy

quote:
I get the horrible feeling from a few of the posts above that contrary to what you think you mean, you don't dislike roleplaying because it takes time away from your RL (sic), it's because you can't even roleplay (i.e. just relax and have fun) your RL.

Sorry again, but this really sounds like a guy with aversion to the 'sheer screaming of the birds'.

And it also funny people here actually try to convince me I am playing 'wrong' and they are actually 'living right'.

GET A LIFE
Post Fri May 24, 2002 7:23 am
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

It's just a game. Eat bread, sleep, strip naked in the game if you want. Slash everyone and everything to little ribbons if that's what makes you happy.

Everyone plays differently, all. Deal.

However, the thread WAS how far do you roleplay... NOT you suck because you roleplay or we're the only ones getting the point of the game because we roleplay.

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

=Member of the Nonflamers Guild=
=Worshipper of the Written Word=
Post Fri May 24, 2002 1:57 pm
freakinaye
High Emperor
High Emperor

That is my problem with this new guys I made. I want to roleplay him to the max and I can't complete some quests now and it sucks. I am trying to be the good Paladin. Its seems like the good characters are trying to turned over to the dark side by the evil designers of Morrowind
Post Fri May 24, 2002 2:06 pm
bpdlr
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

This is getting quite interesting :p

So, you guys who undress/close doors/eat bread etc.:

- do you talk out loud when you have an encounter with an NPC?
- do you time how long it will take you to do a quest, so that you won't miss your bed time?
- do you always follow the trodden path (i.e. no short-cuts like jumping down stairs, cutting through gaps between houses)
- do you follow one Guild's quests to their completion before taking on another Guild's?

I'm fascinated by how people approach this idea of 'role-playing'. I personally get more fun out of running around knowing I can always reload, taking risks, and exploiting minor exploits (such as quick levelling). And I definitely don't take my char's clothes off before bedtime. The mosquitoes in the Arcadian Isles are vicious, for a start :p

BaZ
Boycott Shampoo!
Demand REAL poo!
Post Fri May 24, 2002 2:15 pm
freakinaye
High Emperor
High Emperor

Well if we want to get into more detailed roleplaying. I don't take my clothes off for bed because I don't have a bed and must sleep in other peoples beds, therefore if I keep my clothes on and am caught I can escape faster. I jump down stairs and take short-cuts staying off the paths because I am a master *110* acrobatics skill so that is my way of moving around. I don't close doors because I am rude and most people don't like me anyways (probably because I have no manners) I mean I am an outsider and I act the way I was raised....I mean I spent time in prison, my manners left me there.
Post Fri May 24, 2002 2:20 pm

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next