Members
Usergroups
May have found the solution to everyone's mw problems
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - General

Author Thread
graphics expert

how vsync works - higher refresh rates ARE important sometim

First, it will definitely improve things for people with higher frame rates, say 20hz+. For those with lower frame rates it will probably make no noticable difference.

Here is why, if you run with vsync on then your graphics card can only switch the image when the monitor is doing its vsync. If you run at 60hz that happens 60 times a second, if you run at 120 then thats 120 times a second.

What this means in frame rate terms is very simple - your card can only display at an even multiple of the refresh rate. At 60hz (16ms), you can displat at 16ms, 33ms (30hz), 50 ms (20), 66ms (15 hz) and so on.

The reason you see stuttering is when your frame rate oscillates between two settings. If you are running close to 50ms then one update could be at 20 hz (50ms) and the next at 49ms would show at 15hz. Note how a one millisecond change in update rate would cause a 16ms delay. Your game will have to wait 15ms doing nothing until the next vsync happens.

The stuttering is actually worse at higher frame rates because a change between 20 and 30 is almost a 50% difference. A drop at a lower frame rate, say 5hz = (200ms) and the next band 216ms is almost unnoticable.

Increasing your refresh rate to say 120hz means that the step between switches is 8ms instead of 16 which greatly reduces the apparent stuttering at high frame rates, and gives the game a greater range of possible frame rates:

There are some even worse effects caused by going between 20 and 33 related to visual movement that I could explain if anyone if interested.
Post Fri May 24, 2002 7:23 pm

starfox

Sorry I dont understand. Can you simply tell us at what farerate run our monitor.
The max I can use is 85 at 1124 res.
Post Fri May 24, 2002 11:26 pm

graphics expert

what framerate ?

quote:
Originally posted by starfox
Sorry I dont understand. Can you simply tell us at what farerate run our monitor.
The max I can use is 85 at 1124 res.

You can't choose a frame rate only a refresh rate. I'd recommend running at the fastest refresh rate that your monitor will handle for the resolution you want.
Post Fri May 24, 2002 11:32 pm

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4