View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 Spoilers

Author Thread
divil
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Newbie needs help

Hey all, I've just started playing Gothic 2 and have a few questions:

Where do I find the person to give me Innos's blessing, so Thorben will vouch for me? The priest guy told me to go somewhere but I completely forgot...

What's the easiest combat configuration, classic Gothic or new style? I'm finding combat really annoying. A single wolf seems to do enough damage to almost take me down. Forget about handling more than one enemy at a time.

I'm planning on becoming a paladin, what skills should I learn? I've already learnt how to skin animals, but what others are worth it?

Thanks!
Post Mon Aug 29, 2005 5:36 pm
Sem
Solid as a Rock
Solid as a Rock

Hi welcome to the forums,

- The priest guy is called Vatras and sent you to the Marketplace, there you can find the Fire Mage Daron, he can bless you but he wants you to spend some money (50 gold pieces) to the church. Alternatively you can go outside of Khorinis to the Monastery. Near the Monastery is a shrine where Isgaroth is praying, he will bless you for free.

- Don't know, only tried the new style and it worked fine. It isn't ideal, but you'll get used to it.

- The most important thing is to learn fighting, so one- or two-handed fighting and strength. That's the easiest to start with. About secondary skills, like forging, animal trophies, etc; most are more for fun than really useful. But you'll have plenty of learning points in the end, so just play around a little and try some skills.
Post Mon Aug 29, 2005 6:20 pm
divil
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Thanks.
This game is great, but the combat is really disappointing. It's a shame. Hopefully they'll improve it for Gothic 3.
I don't want to spend any money on armour so I'm trying to get into the militia and use that armour for a while.

Where can I go to learn one and two handed fighting and strength? I've read that there's a guy who will train you in strength for free if you locate that missing statue of Innos, is there anybody else?
Post Tue Aug 30, 2005 9:58 am
Sem
Solid as a Rock
Solid as a Rock

Strength:
- Carl (Harbour Quarter): you'll have to pay 50 gold or bring Edda a statue of Innos. Edda is the woman cooking the fish soup in the Harbour Quarter.
- Harad (Lower Quarter): only when you become his apprentice.
- Mortis (Barracks): only as a militia, don't speak to him when you're still guildless. There's a little bug that he won't learned you anything when you have spoken to him before you became a militia.
- Torlof (Onar's Farm): He only teaches mercenaries or guildless, but when you've talked to him as a guildless he will still teach you strength after you've joine another guild.
- Opolos (Monastery): he only teaches novices, and you won't be able to get into the monastery as a militia. So he isn't very useful.

Since you want to become a militia, it's easiest to wait or learn from Carl and as soon as you've become a militia start learning from Mortis.

One-handed:
- Wulfgar (Barracks): has the job to teach every capable man. Won't train mercenaries
- Corn (Onar's Farm): you will need to speak to him as a guildless and with 30% onehanded, after that he will always teach you.
- Alrik (Harbour Quarter): defeat him in battle first.
- Buster (On the way to Onar's Farm): defeat him in battle first.

Wulfgar is by far the easiest to learn from, he is close and doesn't want anything from you.

Two-handed:
- Wulfgar (Barracks): See above
- Cord (Onar's Farm): See above and replace 30% onehanded with 30% twohanded.
- Babo (Monastery): only novices and mages.
- Rod (Onar's Farm): only guildless or mercenary after you defeat him.

There are several more teachers but they will either teach you in later chapters, or when you are a higher rank, or are far away on another part of the island.
Post Tue Aug 30, 2005 10:28 am
Pladio
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

The combat system isn't really that hard...
It's something you have to get used to, just play a few hours into the game, try to fight more monsters than you usually do and you'll get the hang of it.
Post Tue Aug 30, 2005 11:41 am
Kamahl
King of Spam
King of Spam

sem rod will teach u after u prove him that u can handle a 2h(need 30-35 str for that i think)
die dunkle Seite zerstören, wir sollen
Post Tue Aug 30, 2005 2:14 pm
Maylander
High Emperor
High Emperor

The fire mage in the marketplace will not take 50, he will take according to what you have, so if you have 500 he's probably going for broke. I like to stay as low as possible at the time(not 0, he won't bless you if you don't have money), as he will only take a few coins then.
Post Tue Aug 30, 2005 4:21 pm
mazu
Protector of the Realm
Protector of the Realm

"Ah, it seems that you have more than 100 gold coins." 50 Gold Given
"The church accepts your generous donation."
"Blessing blah blah etc etc."
Post Mon Sep 19, 2005 2:56 pm
cptmaxon
High Emperor
High Emperor

the combat system is the best system I have ever seen, true it takes getting used to, but it's totally worth it, you can beat cretures why over your lvl, with just planing out your battles, I didn't see it in any other game.
if anybody finds a game with a similar combat system, tell me so I can buy it while waiting for G3
Post Wed Sep 21, 2005 4:57 am
Rordog
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

I was fought a wolf in real life and it kicked my ass too. It inflicted severe lethal damage with every bite. If I had fought two at once I would probably be dead.

Give PC hero a chance, he is still weak. After all he is only a low level human in the begining. Soon enough you will wade through entire wolf packs swinging your sword and cutting them down as though they were no more than ferns.
later, rordog
Post Wed Sep 21, 2005 5:43 am
mazu
Protector of the Realm
Protector of the Realm

Whoa, a wolf. I fought a bear and kicked his ass.
Post Wed Sep 21, 2005 6:32 pm
Kamahl
King of Spam
King of Spam

hahaaha lol was it a stuffed bear
die dunkle Seite zerstören, wir sollen
Post Wed Sep 21, 2005 7:22 pm
Rordog
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

Bear... Bear, that is wussy. Sure they are super powerful and actually quite fast, but have you ever seen how they run from a dog. Ergo a wolf is the tougher enemy.
later, rordog
Post Wed Sep 21, 2005 7:42 pm
Maylander
High Emperor
High Emperor

I kicked a wild rhino in the ass.. and then he kicked mine. (j/k)
Post Wed Sep 21, 2005 9:07 pm
mazu
Protector of the Realm
Protector of the Realm

Well I kicked... Hmmm... Whats bigger than... Ah yes! Elephant! I kicked an elephants ass and it ran down the street crying. Damn im a badass.
Post Thu Sep 22, 2005 5:14 pm