Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
The Witcher (PC, Single- & Multi-Player RPG)
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Games Comments

Author Thread
...:::Wit:::...

We wait for this game.
Post Tue Jun 03, 2003 9:12 am

Arucard
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Adrzej Sapkowski, he is my favorite fantazy writer. I have hope that game
" The witcher" will be good like a book "Wiedźmin".
Post Thu Jun 05, 2003 9:43 pm
Arma
Mysterious Lady
Mysterious Lady

Are really this author's works so good? And do you know where can I get some information if he's to be translated into English or Bulgarian soon?
Post Sat Jun 12, 2004 10:36 am
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land
Stranger In A Strange Land

The Witcher's website has a translated short story you could start with - it's a pretty good read (~23 pages).
Post Sat Jun 12, 2004 1:25 pm
Arma
Mysterious Lady
Mysterious Lady

I saw that and although I haven't zet started to read it, that still doesn't explain anything about his other works being translated.
As for the game - I seroiousle think it will be crap, c'mon NWN was crap, and the only thing better than in NWN in the Withcher is the athmosphere and the settings, and not an inch more. The story may also be good, as I hope that CD Projekt Red's authors are at least a bit as able as the author of the original books, as I begin to believe that he may be very talanted (as far as I grasped from the settings of the world described by the designers of the game) but never it is mentioned he will be writing the story for the game.
So apart from the original story we got a NWN games with lack of character generation. And as far I get from the interviews with CD Projects designers their game would have been an excellent 3rd person adventure with some RPG elements, but a rather poorly implemented RPG that will possibly sink even deeper with the lack of descent competition and being compared to older & better titles.
One big Hmmmph is all CD Project will get from me until they convince me better that the game is going to be better. Although I am going to play it, just for the sake of getting a first-look in Andrzej Sapkowski's world.
Post Tue Jun 15, 2004 4:05 am

I don't know much abou tthe game but it doe snot look to me liek it has too much in common with NWN.

From the screenshots at least it looks a whole lot better, I mean really, NWN graphix wasn't too good.

Personally I expect this game to be very, very good. I hope they won't let me down.
Post Wed Jun 23, 2004 12:36 pm

cammaris
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Iīm really looking forward for this game
It can be awesome.
Post Fri Jan 27, 2006 6:32 pm
ToddMcF2002
Leader of the Senate
Leader of the Senate

This game has promise - but is there really no ranged combat? No bows? I can't imagine going through this whole game with 2 swords and just melee.
Post Mon Jan 30, 2006 3:14 pm
Kylex
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

there will be no ranged weapons for the witcher
the witcher geralt also did not use any ranged weapons in the books about him, the game based on the books, so heīs a predefined sword master and thatīs good so

Kylex
Post Tue Jan 31, 2006 6:05 pm
cammaris
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

If someone read the books than he really knows that Geralt donīt need ranged weapons for his succes.

Last edited by cammaris on Tue Jan 31, 2006 9:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post Tue Jan 31, 2006 9:02 pm
ToddMcF2002
Leader of the Senate
Leader of the Senate

Well good old Geralt and his books are not avaliable in English in the US as far as I know.

...Maybe because he has no ranged weapons!!!

I guess I'm concerned that 100% 2 hander melee without even a shield for some variety will become tedious. It sounds tedious but then again that's how I played Gothic II and that was not tedious. However, that was an active control interface and The Witcher is a diablo click fest right? Hmmm....
Post Tue Jan 31, 2006 9:16 pm
cammaris
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Go on the Witcher site there you will be able collect more informations...
I can say that Geralt can (sometimes) deflect arrows with his sword.
And it is not like Diablo.About the system of fight you can read here.
It is from official site:
code:
Innovative combat system
The game is entirely mouse controlled, and therefore extremely easy to play. At the same time our combat system enables the player to pull off many different attacks in real time during combat sequence. The player can create his own combinations of blows and slashes before fight and then test it on his enemies, using variety of weapons, although the witcher is skilled mostly in sword combat and our system reflects that.

So here is something about fight in witcher
http://www.thewitcher.com/img/media/sites/99_p_2.jpg

2the story: I can hope that translation of books is in progress (and as developers said maybe it will be distributed with game )
Post Tue Jan 31, 2006 9:34 pm
ToddMcF2002
Leader of the Senate
Leader of the Senate

The game sounds interesting - especially the combo's you've mentioned. I did play Gothic II entirely with a 2 hander so I'm interested.

Also the RPG aspects of the game appear to be pretty well fleshed out. I guess we will see. I just hope its not linear.
Post Wed Feb 01, 2006 2:28 pm
cammaris
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Yes ...we will see...
Post Thu Feb 02, 2006 11:05 am
Khaine

Witcher doesn't need to use shields because of his inhuman agility and reflexes he's able to dodge or block(with his sword) incoming arrows and crossbow bolts, not to mention dodging or parrying melee attacks. Shield would only slow him down. About bows and crossbows - witchers usually fight with monsters which are difficult to kill by those means, that's why they're not training with bows as it is simply useless while fighting with armoured, fast and deadly opponent. If those monsters could be killed by shooting arrows witcher's wouldn't be needed at all, you must understand that it's difficult to shoot a fast moving target in dark catacombs or swamps with very limited visibility. That's why it's all about melee.
Post Fri Feb 03, 2006 1:28 pm

Goto page 1, 2  Next