Eye of the Beholder for the Game Boy Advance
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Dungeons and Dragons General

Author Thread
Lord_Brownie
High Emperor
High Emperor

Eye of the Beholder for the Game Boy Advance

I recently finished the Eye of the Beholder (EOB) for the game boy advance, and would like to give you some of my impressions. First, the good. The graphics are solid, and so is the sound. The rat sound on the first few levels made my cat jump everything she heard it; she would run up to the game boy are start sniffing it. The walking though the dungeon was full screen so it is easy to see the area infront of the characters. The new opening cut scenes are breif but look nice. Combat uses a scaled down version of the 3rd ed D&D rules, which work out very well with the turn based combat mode. As I mentioned in anther post the combat mode is like the old Gold Box Games; isosmetic, tile based movement, and uses turns. It reminded me so much of the old games that I found myself resorting back to my old mentaly when fighting; like trying to hit casters with missle weapons so they couldnt cast for a turn, or waiting for the enemy to close to me, like in guard mode, before attacking (nether work in EOB). The spell selection is good for both clerics and wizards, and the feats add some to the game.
Now the bad. There is only one save game per party (you can have two different games though; one save each), and it automaticly saves when you rest. You level when you rest, if you click too fast all you characters will level in cleric class (the first one on the class list) and the game will save: you cant go back! Thats right folks, a max of 7 levels in the game, and by the time you are done all your characters are libel to have at least one level of cleric. My piety is insured. One bit of advice, if you acidentaly level a character, turn off the GBA and relaod. With some luck it will load up before the save and you will get anther chance at not being in a party full of clerics. The lack of save games does not get in way of the rest of the game, though. Role Playing is non existent, not too far form the orginal. There is a 'plot' and NPCs, but the story, after being introduced is largely static and dialog with NPCs is limited. At the end of the game after beating the big bad guy, a few cut scenes of him dieing and then strait to the credits, nothing is explained or resloved. The feats and skills are lacking for most classes. Warriors will quickly get all the feats they need, and the skills are usefull mostly to casters and rogue (concentration, disable device, etc). Wierd,, but toward the end of the game my warrior got hit with some spell that lowered a stat, but instead in raised his dex to over 200! After getting him cured, his dex stayed there, so I took advantage of it and got the finesse feat, it alows dex modifier to be used for an attack modifer instead of str. He still missed alot though. Lastly, the game seemed short, maybe because I arleady had some experence with it years ago.
Overall I enjoyed the game, although better leveling and/or savegame feature would have been a great improvement. Shame that there is no planes to port EOB 2.
LB
Post Wed Mar 19, 2003 3:38 am
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Eye of the Beholder with turn based combat?

*sigh* That right there makes me want to get a GBA.

Oh well... maybe it will be ported (probably not).

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

=Member of the Nonflamers Guild=
=Worshipper of the Written Word=
Post Fri Mar 21, 2003 4:18 pm
Lord_Brownie
High Emperor
High Emperor

Combat is this title's strongest area. I just wish there where more big fights: there was ony a few calls to use fireball, or lightingbolt spells. I just got the Gameboy SV (has a back lit screen, and lithum battery with a ten hour play time). Across the top of the screen in combat the text is displayed, and without the back lit screen it is hard to see without perfect light.
LB
Post Sat Mar 22, 2003 5:14 pm