View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Fallout

Author Thread
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Fallout 3 ... Lives

http://www.gamespot.com/news/2004/04/15/news_6093628.html

Ah, eyeshot with a shotgun at point blank range... I have missed thee....

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

=Member of the Nonflamers Guild=
=Worshipper of the Written Word=
Post Fri Apr 16, 2004 1:57 pm
cptmaxon
High Emperor
High Emperor

well the question is can they do it like the original fo1 and fo2 they closed blackisle and laid off a lot of developers i just hope we don't get a dumbed dpwn version of FO like the console game
Post Fri Apr 16, 2004 2:56 pm
Seth
Last Man Standing
Last Man Standing

One question:

Who is the best choice to do it, and who will be actually doing it?
Post Sat Apr 17, 2004 12:09 am
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land

There's a lot of issues here. IPLAY is so broke it's not funny...or maybe it is. If Interplay entered into a standard publisher/dev relationship, you'd have to wonder if they could make the milestone payments over the life of the project and this would scare away many good developers. Does anyone really see Troika or Obsidian trusting IPLAY?

A solution might be to find a developer with their own funding and trade some limited license rights or similar.

Honestly, I don't see the best developer getting the project, more likely whoever IPLAY can afford or sucker into signing. Don't be surprised if it's some studio that noone has heard of.

To answer the question, though, who is the best? That's hard...Troika would undoubtedy get the Fallout direction, world and atmosphere right, although Obsidian also has devs that have worked on FO and (in my opinion) has more depth in the writing and creative departments.

I'm quite confident it won't be any of these, however.
Post Sat Apr 17, 2004 4:26 am
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

It would be a triumph or a disaster.

Think about it... how many want Fallout 3? If it was a sequel/serial that gave the fans what they wanted it could easily be GOTY and put Interplay back on top.

But if it was handled wrong it would die an ignoble death and the company would go with it.

They will have to try very hard to make a game that is "I loved it... it's what I've been waiting for!" and not "NOOOOOO.... how could they do this to our seris? HOW COULD THEY?!"

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

=Member of the Nonflamers Guild=
=Worshipper of the Written Word=
Post Sat Apr 17, 2004 2:50 pm
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

*Crosses her pinkies and toes, then hopes for the best.*
Post Sun Apr 18, 2004 7:05 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

quote:
Originally posted by Dhruin

A solution might be to find a developer with their own funding and trade some limited license rights or similar.

But if an external developer funds FO3 they will also demand full control over the project, within the negotiated frame work of course.
Here Silver Style would be quite a logical solution. It seems they have the money, but their main markets so far are Eastern Europe, Asia and Germany. Interplay as US publisher would actually be a step forward for them. The 50-100k IP could sell for full price would recoup a significant part of the budget and thus lower the risk.
The biggest problem I see, for every external developer, is that Interplay will probably go bankrupt before the release. Then it gets complicated. A solution would be to trade limited rights for FO3 plus an add-on and at the same time acquire the publishing rights.

quote:

Don't be surprised if it's some studio that noone has heard of.

This is another possibility. Give the existing code and 500k to a solid dev from Eastern Europe to finish FO3 according to the design docs. Time is no factor over there since wages are low, so it wouldn´t matter if it took them 3 months to ramp up production. I wouldn´t even be surprised if it could be finished for half that money.
Post Mon Apr 19, 2004 4:06 pm
Remus
Overgrown Cat
Overgrown Cat

http://forums.obsidianent.com/index.php?showtopic=535
Post Mon Apr 19, 2004 5:11 pm
Dhruin

I've been weatching that thread but some of the posters aren't very informed. I've heard more rumours over the last few days that Interplay is *very* close to bankruptcy - one report had enough details to be almost credible.
Post Mon Apr 19, 2004 10:28 pm
Secret Agent Lawanda
The last thing you see...
The last thing you see...

I really hope it gets made!
Post Fri Apr 23, 2004 11:27 pm
MoonDragon
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
Originally posted by cptmaxon
well the question is can they do it like the original fo1 and fo2 ...

Simply answered... No.

There are several reasons why I say that.
First, Fallout was original. In its presentation, atmosphere, story. Fallout 2 took whatever Fallout had and just made it a bit longer and spiced it up a bit (kind of what Shrek 2 did to Shrek movie). Fallout 3 is an original game. It will not be the same as the previous games. Therefore, by definition, it will not be "like the original" games.
Second, what all sequels suffer from is expectations. When the bar is high to start with, it's very hard to impress people. You can only hope to make the bar, not to blow it away like you did before.
Third, IPLY has publically stated and followed through in deed, that they hold PCs to be an outdated technology and that the consoles are the future. IPLY officially has disdain for PC games and has no intention of doing anything but cater to that market. Therefore, I would not hold my breath that they would care to put "spit and polish" on any PC game that they may be publishing. They probably hold PC gamers in contempt and most likely only see them as suckers that may be milked for some extra pocket change.
Which brings us to the fourth point:
quote:
Originally posted by EverythingXen
Think about it... how many want Fallout 3?

Bingo! Tying into my point 3, one can easily see how IPLY would want to release some kind of software in a box that has FALLOUT 3!!! plastered all over it. Along side: SEQUEL TO THE BEST SELLING, MOST AWARD WINNING, GREATEST RPG OF ALL TIME!!! DON'T MISS OUT! BUY IT NOW! PREORDER IT NOW, 2 YEARS BEFORE WE SHIP IT!!! What's inside the box... well, let's just say my dog's lunch may look better when it finally makes its graceful exit from his body.
Fifth:
quote:
But if it was handled wrong it would die an ignoble death and the company would go with it.

Don't you think it's a bit late to say that IPLY "might" screw up? IPLY deserves no more second (or would that be ninth?) chances. They bent us over and shoved it deep too many times. I'm sorry for my extreme cynicism, but this company is on my most blackest of black lists and it's not getting off it. Not any time soon. It's time we as consumers started demanding respect.
And finally....
quote:
They will have to try very hard to make a game that is "I loved it... it's what I've been waiting for!" and not "NOOOOOO.... how could they do this to our seris? HOW COULD THEY?!"

There have been several instances of game sequels being released recently, with this dilema facing them. They all went console route and they all rode the "NOOOOO..." route. The fandom, of course, bent over and took it deep and started finding excuses as to why it's not so horrible after all, but none of that changes the facts.

In order for all of the above to not be true, IPLY would somehow have to survive imminent bankruptcy, decide that it will not consolize F3, not push the publication of it prematurely, go back to the design documents of the people they fired because they would not change those same documents, and so on and so forth. It is possible within the realm of all quantum states in the universe, but I wouldn't hold my breath.
Post Wed Jun 09, 2004 3:59 pm
Wulf
The Shepherd
The Shepherd

With the good news of today,

Will Bethesda Softworks "deliver the goods" ?
Post Mon Jul 12, 2004 11:13 pm
Seth
Last Man Standing
Last Man Standing

Morrowind was… is a good RPG, although is very easy take the advantage of the levelling system, main story that gets forgotten, terrible journal and the way the conversation were taken… jet it somehow gave the player some purpose of playing.

Now the main thing with the Elder Scrolls that this is first (or third) person view not to mention combat system, and I get the feeling that Bethesda will do a lot of experimenting. Of course comparing these two types of the games is like comparing apples and oranges, both RPGs but that’s when the similarities end.

I’m old fashion, I want my Fallout 3 turn-based, with isometric view and interesting dialog, hell, I also want some mature content, but I think we can forget about that one. I still think Troika would be better choice for that project, but I’m pretty much broke and we all know that poor people don’t count nor they have any input on any major (and minor) decisions

Just remember the golden rule: DO NOT FIX IT IF ANT’T BROKEN.
Post Tue Jul 13, 2004 1:28 am
Cryptor69
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

;)

This is the best news I heard since I found out that Bitmap Brothers do PC games.

It's about time that fallout was picked up by someone who can "update" it. I like the isometric view, but I would be highly dissapointed if Fallout 3 looked like the first two.

I hope it's going to be some kind of next gen. 3D engine they are making for the next Elder Scrolls game.

I'am old fashioned as well ( hey I still think Alpha Centauri rox ). Fallout is great, but the whole idea could be taken to another level if updated with quality 3d engine. I don;t know, I would much rather see Fallout have graphics like FarCry then the best isometric game ( whatever that is for you ).

I played them all, and Imho it's about time this has happened. I want to play Fallout 3 in beautiful 3D. I want to play Fallout games for years to come, and the only way is for it to have a face-lift. Bethesda Softworks are the right people to do it. Continuing to make Fallout games in iso view would mean death.

Morrowind had a number of problems, and it still managed to be a great game. Bethesda Softworks learned alot from all of this, all this means that Fallout 3 will roX
Post Tue Jul 13, 2004 9:58 am
Remus
Overgrown Cat
Overgrown Cat

It is still too early to judge how good Fallout 3 will be, or what it will be - but many peoples already so worked up over the announcement. Bethesda early announcement probably just to see our reactions, the game popularity, what we want in new Fallout, including from the fanatical Fallout fans. We probably won't see any game details until another one or two years.

My preferred choice of the game developer is either Troika or Obsidian. I never expect Bethesda would gets the Fallout license!, or interested in aquiring it!. However i don't see both as significantly better developer than Bethesda. At least until we know how far Bethesda plans to change the Fallout gameplay elements.

I certainly like to see Tim new ideas for Fallout 3 after several years away from the original Fallout, which was also his own creation. But practically all people at Troika are new, or never worked on the original Fallout before. Their products so far: Arcanum and TOEE, although very interesting on paper, or have very good ideas, but they failed to translate them into awesome games and widely acceptable by many gamers. Financially Troika seem very dependent on publisher (Atari), and i hate to see Fallout 3 to be rushed out like TOEE because the pressure from Atari.

Obsidian probably is the most suitable choice, since they retained many Fallout and Fallout 2 developers, or at least worked on Van Buren. They also working on KoTOR 2, and unless a disastrous game design mistake, KoTOR 2 will sells very well and in turn financing Fallout 3, encourage them to make the game bigger, or put some more extras (hiring veteran voice actors, creating own new engine, etc).

Bioware? I bet the word "Bioware" would angering many peoples who calling themselves "the true RPG players," or the "hardcore RPG player," especially over Obsidian forums, NMA or RPGCodex. But let us face it, Bioware haven't release a games as buggy as TOEE. You probably dislike the taste of Bioware games, but that's just taste, and a taste of small amount of gamers - since almost all Bioware's games sold very well and well received. For "the true RPG players", that didn't count because reviewers are stupid to gave high scores to NWN, or maybe reviewers received money from Bioware, or NWN sales was good because many players are dumb. And if Bioware gets the license of making Fallout 3, how bad is that?. Well, it could pretty much "as bad as" Bethesda gets the Fallout license!. But of course for the "the true RPG player," that means total fallout in apocalyptical scale For RPG genre! - "OMG! OMG!! 11BIoware @3suxooor!!!".

Silver Style? They probably can produces a decent Fallout 3, but as a fan of Fallout series, i want AT LEAST a very good Fallout 3. They previous endeavour - Gorasul didn't impresse many peoples. Their new game, The Fall, so far has released quite many screenshots but they all look similar and didn't evoking dark, hopeless or apocalyptic atmosphere very much.
Post Tue Jul 13, 2004 12:50 pm

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next