Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
Glad they have a demo to show off there crappy code!
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic - Troubleshooting

Author Thread
Vipermmx
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Access Violation.

Before that I got DX crashs. I just cant get in to this sorry game. Going from the demo and the HUGE tech issues in the forum I guess this is another bugged german release.

I got the latest drivers. Latest VIA 4-1. Best sound driver.

(sigh)

It looks like a really good game destroyed by terrible bug issues.
Post Tue Jan 15, 2002 6:57 am
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

No... It is not so bugy.
But for some not good known reason, they are people how have big problems and people without problems. I must say, this game was stable, without crassign, without many bugs in game it self.
And it was great, great game, one of best...
But it is surely risky to by game, if you tried demo and could not run it
Post Tue Jan 15, 2002 7:13 am
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

P. S.: I am not paid from Piranha Bites
Post Tue Jan 15, 2002 7:13 am
Vipermmx
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Lets just add to the code issues.

XD3D not in context____ New Error on startup.

When running this game it screws up my modem somehow and causes it to die until I reboot. Rerunning the game screws it up again.

Fact is the game needs a MAJOR patch. It sucks that a person cant even play a damn OFFICIAL demo. All my friends have the same issues. Either the game messes with there drivers like mine (one friend) or they get all kinds of startup crashs.

Where is this companys tech support? Do they not care there game is crashing? They should be in these damn forums helping.

[ This Message was edited by: Vipermmx on 2002-01-15 01:18 ]
Post Tue Jan 15, 2002 7:15 am
Rendelius
Critical Error
Critical Error

Most of us had no problems with the game. There were Radeon issuses, but at http://gothic.rpgdot.com, you'll find the latest patch.

For crashes and such: go to http://www.viaarena.com and to the forums - then have a look into the XP forum. There are serious issues wizj AMD (but not just AMD), GeForce (but not just Geforce) and XP (but 2000 and ME, too).

About 99% of the people can't, for example run 3DMark2001 with APG 4x without crashing in a second. No real fix for that, yet.

My conclusion: there are porblems that are not game related. The more sophisticated the graphics engine is, the more obvious these íssues are.
Post Tue Jan 15, 2002 7:51 am
Vipermmx
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I fixed it by formating and installing Win98. Win98 seems to work fine. I have not touched the VIA 4-1 yet but I think I will hold off since it works and there is no game slowdown at 1027x768 32bit all options full.

It seems Windows ME is just crap. Always knew this but never thought it would stop a game. Since ME isnt even listed on there req list I was kind of wary.

Im wondering how the HECK do you pick up items? I press the Action key on chests and he just crouchs and sits there. If I try to use action on an item he does nothing! Whats up with no easy pickup key?
Post Tue Jan 15, 2002 10:10 am
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

So your last question (how to open chests):

1. you must have lockpick in your inventory (you do not need to make it active or use it - nothing like that)
2. use chest (your character kneel to it)
3. hold use button
4. press right or left (you must choose, only one of them is right)
5. you will see - if it sounds good, it was good try and you are one step nearer to opening chest, if character says something like "Hell, and I must do it again from begining", it was not good try
----
Chests usually need 3 - 7 good tries (for example combination LLRRLRL).
If you are untrained in lockpicking, you have 100% possibility, that if you do bad choice, you will break your lockpick.
So good way is: bay 10 lockpick and start lockpicking, write on paper good combination (you will need so many lockpick if you do not want to load after each try)
load and open chest on first try...
----
If you learn lockpicking for 10 exp. points, you will have 50/50 chance to do not break lockpick when you try something bad

[ This Message was edited by: Danicek on 2002-01-15 04:29 ]
Post Tue Jan 15, 2002 10:27 am