Need a Character Creation Guide
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Arx Fatalis

Author Thread
stethnorun
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Need a Character Creation Guide

Just wondering if anyone knows of a place to get an in-depth character creation guide. Preferably one that has different builds laid out. Like pure warrior, pure thief, pure mage, fighter/thief, thief/mage, etc etc. Every guide i find has very little info. I'm trying to make a good thief/mage but im not sure exactly how to proceed.
Post Thu Jul 15, 2004 1:59 am
Cm
Sentinel of Light
Sentinel of Light

I have never seen or heard of anything more than the info available in the manual and the PDF file you can find here on the hosted site for Arx. Sorry.
Mark Twain
Post Thu Jul 15, 2004 2:29 am
stethnorun
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

hmm...must really be an obscure RPG if noone even has a detailed character creation guide available.

well for you experienced Arx players out there, could you tell me how to make a kickass thief/mage?
Post Thu Jul 15, 2004 4:17 am
thrash3002
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

for a thief/mage, i think obvously you bump up your stealth and casting to at LEAST 60 each.. but probably the higher the better.. put all your main points into intelligence and dexterity..

I'm not sure how many close combat points you require to use the assassin dagger, but it is a cool weapon.. Have you checked out the concept art on the bonus cd you get? There's a pic of a ratman holding one in each hand and about to strike you.. it's a shame we can't equip our guardian with 2 of those things.. that'd be rad..

ok back to your theif/mage.. technical skill is also a must for a thief.. and an ok object knowledge will help..

forget about defense and long range combat, and intuition, well, if you have enough points to spare i guess.. i tried putting a whole lotta points into ethereal link, but i think above 60 it's not worth it.. i did it mainly becuase i wanted to regain my mana as quickly as possible, but past 60 points, it doesn't improve all that much.. at about 80 you can have 2 harm spells going all the time and it doesn't take your mana down at all, but that's a whole 20 points you need, when at 60 you can keep one harm spell going and still keep gaining your mana bakc in very little doses..

Hope i've been able to help.. i'm by no means an expert at this game, so i'm sure others have more accurate opinions?
Post Thu Jul 15, 2004 4:19 am
stethnorun
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

yeah that does help. But should i really pump ALL my main points into mind and dex? dont i need at least a little strength and constitution? and what about stealth skill? is it worth maxing out?
Post Thu Jul 15, 2004 5:02 am
thrash3002
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

i haven't actually ever tried maxing out my stealth skill.. i've had it up to 70, which is great.. i reckon 60-70 is fine if you can go invisible for a fair while.. if you got high casting abilities and lots of mana, then you can stay invisible, and you don't reallt need super high stealth abilities, whether you're stealing or assassinating..

as for putting points into strength and constitution is concerned, strength you need for yeilding heavy weaponry, which i assume you aren't really gonne be after as a theif/mage.. constitution is for wearing heavy armour, which, again i assume you aren't after as a theif/mage..

you can put into strength and constitution if you want, but then those are points you could have put into your theiving or magic skills..

remmeber the saying Jack of all trades but master of none? well if you wanna be a master thief/mage, you gotta compromise...

also, mind you, bless is a really nice spell.. often i use it to pump up my strength or constitution for a short while when i find/scavenge some new weaponry or armour i wanna try out
Post Thu Jul 15, 2004 3:52 pm
thrash3002
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

and you know you shouldn't just take my word for it.. try everything out.. try out pumping your stealth to 100.. i don't know what'll happen, but i'm sure you'll have something cool to share with us after you've tried it..
Post Thu Jul 15, 2004 3:55 pm
thrash3002
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Ohh, and one other thing i should probably mention while we're on the topic of points into strength and constitution..

if by any chance, you plan on going after the golden ylside, make sure you have at least 11 points in each of strenth, intelligence, dexterity, and constitution..

why? because goldie casts some sort of voodoo spell on you (it's the opposite of the bless spell.. hint hint).. it's funny, because if you look up while she's casting it, you see a little voodoo doll with pins thru it twirling above your head

well anyway, the point is, if she does this spell on you (and she's done it to me every single time i've tried to screw her lol.. i dunno why i bother.. she's not THAT hot eh? but she does give me 3000 XP every time i try ), the spell takes 10 points off all of the main 4.. so if you have a value under 10 for any of them, it goes straight down to zero, and you're dead before goldie can cyber slap you with her sword.. which, by the way, is a very nice sword to possess too, except that you can't sell it, and it takes up a whole lotta space in your bag..

i've tried getting my protection from magic skill (if you can call it that) to 100, but that spell takes away 10 no matter what.. and don't bother tryin to do it on her.. it doesn't seem to affect her at all.. i've seen this caz i have my ethereal link up nice and high, and it shows you how much life she has after each attack.. the bithc starts off with 1200... that's like twice as much as akbaa, and he's meant to be a god

hmm, maybe goldie is from the noden too?

but anyway, the spell takes down your maximum life and mana to the level it would be when you have 10 minus from your current points, so you end up with like 10- 20 health, depending, and her sword does 15 damage + whatever damage her level grants her, so i'm guessing all in all, she cna do 30-40 damage easy...

ok, i got carried away once again.. what i was saying is that i tried casting the spell on her, but it didn't take down any of her life the way it took mine down to 11.. so it's pointless trying it on her.. waste of mana considering you don't have much left when she's sticking pins thru your voodoo dolly..

Last edited by thrash3002 on Thu Jul 15, 2004 5:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post Thu Jul 15, 2004 4:09 pm
stethnorun
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

well thanx for all the advice. i actually used the cheat to get a bunch of cool stuff in the beginning and looked at all the spells...and while the rune-drawing system is fun, the actual spells seem kinda....bland. So now im thinking of just going warrior/thief. still im using all your thief advice in making that character. I think i started at 12 str 6 mind 12 dex and 10 const....and i plan on pumping dex mostly and str alot too....and a little const. also working on stealth, close combat fighting, technical skill, and item knowledge.
Post Thu Jul 15, 2004 5:35 pm