0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 2

Author Thread
gandalf970
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Do you play tabletop roleplaying

I was thinking about this. I have been roleplaying with paper and pencil for about 24 years now. I play Imagine, Talislanta and Vampire, but my question is this. Do you guys (the ones playing Dungeon Siege) play tabletop roleplaying or just computer? It never dawned on me that people younger then me might not even play the tabeltop roleplaying.
Post Tue Apr 23, 2002 12:25 pm
Badger
Stripey Forest Dweller
Stripey Forest Dweller

Hi Gandalf

How weird that you should ask that question. I was only talking about this in the office the other day. I was explaining why I am a terrible Hypocrite when it comes to this subject.

The fact is that the idea of table top wargaming (or D&D) has always facinated me. I love the idea of the proper roleplay aspect and if I'm honest I am a sucker for the minitures as well. (I don't think i could cope with just pen and paper)

Now in my late thirties, I finally got around to buying a "Warhammer" set. But only with the idea of painting the minitures and making some scenery, just for my own amusement.

So I admit that the whole idea completely captures my imagination, but do you know what?........ I just can't bring myself to join the anorak party! Yet I obviously am one. I mean I am a closet anorak for sure. But coming out? That's a whole different thing. What will I tell my friends and family? "Look guys, I'm still the same Badger, it's just that I like roleplay."

Maybe one day I'll go and watch a session, but till then I guess I'll just have to hide my true self. Now that the PC is become all respectable like, I can indulge myself in a little RP without the stigma. (Dark Age Of Camelot anyone?)

Badger
Post Tue Apr 23, 2002 1:02 pm
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

I never met one ot them.
Post Tue Apr 23, 2002 1:17 pm
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

I've been an avid pen&paper roleplaying gamer for the last 20 years... my favorite games are Traveller (all 4 editions), Twilight/Merc:2000, Star Wars (the WEG one, not the D20 stuff), and nowadays Fading Suns. I just didn't play DS up to now! But as soon as I find the time, I will at least look into the demo .
Post Tue Apr 23, 2002 2:25 pm
soltys
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

I have never tried tabletop roleplaying. How much do I miss ? Maybe I'll try in future ...
Post Tue Apr 23, 2002 2:45 pm
Azkiel
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

I used to be a big player during at least 10 years of my life.

Back when I was in school RP used to fill my weekend, but it
seems I lost interest after starting to work, getting a "real" girlfriend,
etc...

I used to be a big fan of D&D/AD&D/Call of Cthulhu (the best!!)/Vampire/
Mage/Werewolf/Shadowrun and more that I've forgotten about
Post Tue Apr 23, 2002 2:59 pm
TheSmJ
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

TheSmJ

A good friend of mine took me to one of the stores in the mall to play Warhammer 40K (just like warhammer, but the units are aliens, Humans, etc, really reminded me of StarCraft, only tabletop) The game was intresting, only untill I realised the cost of a set is like 150-200$ for a decent sized army, and than you got to paint all the peices, which being in Highschool, I have no time for (especally after my job).

So, if the stuff landed in my lap all ready to go, yeah, I would play. Its just I dont have the $$ or the time.
Post Tue Apr 23, 2002 7:30 pm
gandalf970
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Wow

Badger I think you really should try it. It really is great and makes for alot of challenges. My group has played for upwards of 20+ years. Three out of the six players have been with me that long. It is a great thing, but this stigma, yah I know what you are saying. I do have a funny story relating to that.

My friend and his girlfriend stopped in a Gaming store (The Source) to look at some new roleplaying books. Well they had the customary sessions going on in the back. Well they watched for a little bit when his girlfriend looks at him and says "Do you know what it smells like in here" he looks at her expecting the words BO, she responds calmly "NERDS" and walks away. I fell on the floor laughing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Post Wed Apr 24, 2002 12:37 pm
Badger
Stripey Forest Dweller
Stripey Forest Dweller

Gandalf! <Ahem>< Ahem>... are you talking to me... definately never expressed an interest <Ahem>. And your story may well have been ROFL-worth.. but I wouldn't know because I don't understand that kind of stuff! <ahem> (psssssst: this group of yours... it's not in the UK right?)

SMJ: It's ALL about the painting mate! If I ever actually took an army into battle, (which I won't because I am of course not remotely interested) they would be all the more special because I will have personalised them. (Probably by screwing them up because I am badly colour Blind! But what the hell..they'd be unique anyway.) These figures that "land in your lap".. well they'd have no soul. They would not be yours.

Of course you WOULD totally own them... er.. so that's all crap then! Damn!
Post Wed Apr 24, 2002 1:05 pm