Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
Vapour or not? Pls read poll question before voting
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Absolutely Off Topic

Which of these games will be the first to be released?
Grimoire
36%
 36%  [ 4 ]
Duke Nukem Forever
36%
 36%  [ 4 ]
Starflight III: Mysteries of the Universe
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
None, they are all vapour!
27%
 27%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 11

Author Thread
Ozymandias
Leader of the Senate
Leader of the Senate

Vapour or not? Pls read poll question before voting

Twice a year I check up on these three games that I have my doubts about whether they will be released ot not. It would be interesting to see what this community thinks.

The "contestants" are:

Grimoire - an old school rpg developed by Cleve Blakemore in his spare time, but you knew that already, didn't you?

Duke Nukem Forever - a 3D shooter with an attitude. I wonder how much money has been poured into this project and if they even have a chance of making a profit out of this game. Note - The link doesn't work atm - a bad omen?

Starflight III: Mysteries of the Universe - I never played the first two games so I don't really know what kind of game this is. It's a fan project being developed in their spare time... It will be released as freeware, if they finish it. They need more programmers so if you have the skill and the time to spare, why not check them out and offer them your help.

In this, one year old article, XEN Magazine author madkevin shared his thoughts about Grimoire and Duke Nukem Forever.

Disclaimer: I can not be held responsible for anything whatsoever as a result of you reading this post.

Last edited by Ozymandias on Sun Sep 25, 2005 6:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post Sun Sep 25, 2005 12:04 am
Hexy
High Emperor
High Emperor

I necessarily don't think that DNF is vapour-ware. This project has been on for, what? 4, 5 years? Longer? With basically complete media blackout? Any investors would probably have dropped out by now, and yet they haven't denounced the project. Which is probably why it's so darn slow. Something may be going on.

Grimoire? Old skewl? Uh huh...
Post Sun Sep 25, 2005 5:08 am
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

I'd say DNF . No, really! I mean... think of Prey, a game in production since 1997 - oh, how I goggled at the first screens of that game back then! If Prey, a game tha twas in hibernation for eight years now, is scheduled to come out in 2006, we can duly expect DNF soon... can't we?
Hehe.

Another candidate for your list is TF2. It was first announced in 1999, and rumors about its development are still alive even though the game has definitely been overtaken by its grandchildren (i.e., other team based shooters built on Quake engines) years ago.
Post Sun Sep 25, 2005 9:27 am
Kamahl
King of Spam
King of Spam

hahahahahahahahaah lol dnf lol that game aint gonna come out ever.when ill be 50 theyll still be making it
die dunkle Seite zerstören, wir sollen
Post Sun Sep 25, 2005 10:28 am
CassRo
Seer of Delphi
Seer of Delphi

Duke Nukem Forever. Why?

1 - It's in the name. We will wait Forever. Each year I wonder if this isn't only a bad joke because of it's name.

2 - And I quote: "Since DNF was announced in 1997, games like Grand Theft Auto and Unreal Tournament have appeared and have already evolved into very famous and respected series."

Of StarFlight I have no knowledge.
And about Grimoire, some people along with me often see it's ghost in the top-right corner of the Dot site ...

You read this text AGAIN?! ARGHH! Stop reading! Now! You're still reading this, aren't you. *sigh* Sure, read, I doesn't bother me. Really! Read on, dude. Cool. READ. Ok, enough! Stop! ... I hate you ... If you don't stop I'll replay Manhunt and I'll show you what I can do with a toothpick!!!11 Save the Whales!!!!!!111oneoneone
Post Sun Sep 25, 2005 5:38 pm
Kamahl
King of Spam
King of Spam

so grimore whats this game all about
die dunkle Seite zerstören, wir sollen
Post Sun Sep 25, 2005 6:17 pm
Ozymandias
Leader of the Senate
Leader of the Senate

@Jaz - I remember Prey. They were going to have some kind of portals which you could see and shoot enemies through. I seriously doubt we will see Prey in 2006 - release dates are just misinformation used to get funding from investors. The site is still down so maybe they went belly up...
I'm sure there are many candidates for a complete vapour list but I don't follow them. I did however forget to put one game in: UFO: Alien Invasion, but it's too late now.

@CassRo - Did you read the poll question before voting? Your reasons count against DNF. Maybe I goofed up with the subject title, oh well.

Disclaimer: I can not be held responsible for anything whatsoever as a result of you reading this post.
Post Sun Sep 25, 2005 6:52 pm
corwin
On the Razorblade of Life
On the Razorblade of Life

For Grimoire, do a search of the site; there are interviews, previews and several somewhat heated threads about it. Or, for some real fireworks, ask your question over at the Codex!!

I don't use Smileys, I use Emoticons!!

Post Mon Sep 26, 2005 6:26 am
CassRo
Seer of Delphi
Seer of Delphi

quote:
Originally posted by Ozymandias
@CassRo - Did you read the poll question before voting? Your reasons count against DNF. Maybe I goofed up with the subject title, oh well.

Oh yeah, sorry I thought the question was as same as in your first post. Count minus one vote for DNF.

You read this text AGAIN?! ARGHH! Stop reading! Now! You're still reading this, aren't you. *sigh* Sure, read, I doesn't bother me. Really! Read on, dude. Cool. READ. Ok, enough! Stop! ... I hate you ... If you don't stop I'll replay Manhunt and I'll show you what I can do with a toothpick!!!11 Save the Whales!!!!!!111oneoneone
Post Mon Sep 26, 2005 11:17 am
cfmdobbie
High Emperor
High Emperor

I don't think the public will see Duke Nukem Forever for a good long while, but I honestly believe it really is in active development! Last I heard, it was being used internally at 3D Realms to train up new staff and to act as a sandbox for new technology.
Post Fri Sep 30, 2005 5:37 pm