Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Magician Question: From Lintra

I am playing a gonna be a mage game (G2 - the original) and was wondering:

What do I lose by joining the Monastery at level 4 or 5? Do I lose any
quests (eg: the merc quests)?

I am loathe to put any more points into fighting skills (str = 30, one and
two handed both at 10%), but don't want to use scrolls for spells as they
cost money ... and I have *just* enough to enter the guild at this point.
However, it is my understanding that getting access to circles of magic
costs LPs and so don't want to lose the many opportunities for XPs
presented by the "hunt the thieves" quests in the city, or the many merc
quests. But then, with out dumping LPs into fighting skills many of these
quests are next to impossible.

Also, I have consumed well over 30 dark mushrooms and not seen an increase
in my mana levels. Do they have to be consumed in a row? In the same
gaming session?

Many thanks!!

-Lintra

heh i am special
Post Mon Feb 13, 2006 8:24 pm
Acleacius
King of the Realms
King of the Realms

Yes can do 5 or 6 quest involved in joining the Mercs most people spend a little more time building up fighting because first circle of magic is very weak Fire Arrow is the main attack spell, if I recall.

Thou one quest for the Mercs will want you to get either One Handed or Two Handed up to 30, which I think at 30 on One Hand would help for when you run out of Mana in battle, Mages are very weak at beginning and very strong last 1/3 of the game.

Since you are not play NotR version you do not have to worry as much about cost of making up to 30 on a weapon, just dont try to get every Rune, learn which ones you want before so you know what to avoid.

Persoanlly I would never turn in the Thieves, since it is the best guild they are the only guild whom does not manipulate you.
Plus learning the Pickpocket skill give Huge XP boost, the later you wait to Pickpockets the more you get so waiting till 5 Chapter (its been a while since I played ) seems I recall you get 500 xp per Pickpocket.
Plus a couple extra quest you get from them during the course of the game like 5 extra quest I believe.

So I would suggest gettting up to level 10 or more if you want do as much as you can in the Old World Map, build of some LP for Mana and spells, then just join Mages before you go to Old World.
Post Mon Feb 13, 2006 11:26 pm
sleeperkiller
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

well, i think that u need to eat 50 mushrooms to gain some mana....

second, i played g 2 three times and the difference is(except the way you fight the monsters )some quests. the quests are different just in the beginning,when u join the camp...
for example, for the mage u must go to a cave, to pass "the fire test" quest, if i remember corectly and there are some minor quests in the monatery.... but you still can join the thiefes in khorinis and still can bet with one of the mercenary that you cand hold his sword...
in conclusion... 70% of the quests can be done with either the mage,the paladin or the mercenary.
if i remember corectly, when i played with the mage, i had at the end of the game 40% one hand combat, 30%2 handed combat, 20% bow and 40%crossbow... and strength 60 and dexterity around 50, in rest my whole LP went to mana and learning creating runes and stuff

ps:sorry if my english sucks
Post Mon Feb 13, 2006 11:30 pm
Uriziel
Grand Mage
Grand Mage

Every 50 dark shrooms gives you the mana bonus, apples give a strength bonus.

IMHO you should complete every possible quest before joining any guild. You will miss out on alot of XP's if you don't. You have to get creative, but most quests are doable. Tough quest enemy? Use ice block and hack him down with your sword. Also look for advantageous place from which to attack.

I generally kill EVERYTHING before allowing a chapter change. I want to get every possible XP out there before they respawn. And I normally do every possible quest before joining a guild.(of course you can't do some quests that can only be solved in later chapters.)

I think the best approach to building a mage character is to get 50 dex as quick as possible and the dex based sword(not master sword, the one that requires 50 dex and does 100 damage). Combined with leather armor, belt, etc., you can take out most creatures at a low level......which gets LP's quickly. This combo along with some creativity and a few scrolls can clear the map.

Don't forget to pray daily and donate to Daron

Peter: I'll tell you what it's not for, son. And when I do, you'll understand why I can never go back to Sea World.
Post Mon Feb 13, 2006 11:37 pm