Poll Results and New Poll
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > News Comments

Author Thread
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land
Stranger In A Strange Land

Poll Results and New Poll

The last poll looked at the minimum graphical standard you require for new games. There was a little controversy that my phrasing implied "Good 2D like BG and above" was inferior to all 3D and I take that criticism - but the limited spacing makes it hard to phrase complex questions and I think most readers understood the spirit of the question.
<br>
<br>9.6% of readers don't care about the graphics at all, 11.9% are satisfied with the level in Spiderweb's games and a whopping 39.5% are content with something like Baldur's Gate and above. 8.6% require some level of 3D, 26% are looking for current-gen 3D graphics and 4.4% demand the cutting edge.
<br>
<br>Summarisng, around 61% are happy with 2D graphics and the remainder require something more "modern", with a surprisingly high 30% needing relatively high-end graphics.
<br>
<br>With the release of the Spellforce 2 demo, which uses the controversial Starforce protection system, we thought we'd ask how/if Starforce affects which games you'll buy or demo.
<br>
<br>Your comments are welcome as always but this is potentially an emotive issue and constructive posts and no attempts at manipulating the poll would be appreciated. Hit the poll on the left.
Post Sat Mar 11, 2006 9:33 am
fatBastard()
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

I have played several games by now with StarForce protection and even though the first iterations were a bit annoying because you had to reboot after installation I have had no other problems whatsoever.

Judging by the tribal drums on the web it seems that either it works with your system or it doesn't. It works with mine so I see no reason why I should boycott it.

I personally found the constantly running SecureRom that Morrowind used a lot more abhorrent than the initial disk check that StarForce uses.
Post Sat Mar 11, 2006 9:42 am
r3dshift
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

If you have problems with Starforce - and I mean residual registry/misc keys and traces once a SF game has been uninstalled -, google for a handy tool named "Starforce Removal Tool" (surprising name, ain't it?), which should make your life a whole lot easier.
Post Sat Mar 11, 2006 10:19 am
evil_lemming
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

The thing I hate about Starforce is that it doesnt really work, I've looked at the boycott starforce site then checked with a friend of mine and it seems pretty much all Starforce games have been pirated... This means the only point of Starforce is seemly to punish those of us who still buy games
Post Sat Mar 11, 2006 1:03 pm
Acleacius
King of the Realms
King of the Realms

A conflict with Starforce game and installing new AntiVirus NAV10, causing me to loose my drive for a Main drive for a week, week to recover my D and E partitions and total loss of C paratition.
I wont be using Starfoce again.
Post Sat Mar 11, 2006 1:36 pm
roqua1

Who is the real culprite? The anti-pirate software or the pirates that created a demand for it?

Who should the gaming community be mad at? Here is a wacky string of logic: if no one pirated games there would be no starforce or whatever it is.

Here is another wacky string of logic: AAA titles that use this crap are crap themselves, spend your money on good games.

Last one: If you refuse to like good games, there is an alternative. Every game that uses this is probably made for consoles, consoles are cheaper than pc's, why not buy a console and stop worrying about registry errors and whatever else it does.

Please tell me how stupid and wrong I am since I haven't had a good debate in a long time and I feel ignored. Tell me how pirating is awesome and its not their fault that starforge is around, its the evil gaming corporations fault since they won't give their games away for free.
Post Sat Mar 11, 2006 2:03 pm

abbaon
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

I pirate games, music and books whenever the opportunity presents itself. Companies wouldn't need to protect their games if people like me didn't steal their games, but I, personally, make a negligible contribution to the current situtation. Everything would look exactly the same if I'd never pirated a game. So I may as well, huh?

I don't vote for the same reason.
Post Sat Mar 11, 2006 2:18 pm
roqua1

That makes sense. That is the same logic I use to justify raping prostitutes.
Post Sat Mar 11, 2006 2:49 pm

Dyne
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

quote:
Originally posted by abbaon
but I, personally, make a negligible contribution to the current situtation.

Says you, and another X thousand other pirates. I'd say you lot combined make a pretty big contribution to the current situation.
"What if everyone were to do as I do?", as the consequentialists ask themselves.
Post Sat Mar 11, 2006 3:10 pm
fluffy bunny

I'm incredibly tired about the whole Starforce debate. First of all, Starforce isn't as bad as "they" (mostly pirates) say. There's a huge amount of lies and misinformation around. Secondly, people who boycot Starforce are hurting the grass roots of the PC games industry, as it's often the small, independent companies who use it (because it's very cheap and very effective compared to its competitors).

I think it's time people stop whining about it and start enjoying some really good Starforce-protected games instead.
Post Sat Mar 11, 2006 4:27 pm

quote:
Originally posted by fluffy bunny
Starforce isn't as bad as "they" (mostly pirates) say. There's a huge amount of lies and misinformation around.

Could you prove your point technically at SysInternals, for example? Search the forum for the comments by Soulcommander, who seems to know what he is writing about, at least.
Post Sat Mar 11, 2006 5:43 pm

Garret111

quote:
Originally posted by roqua1
Who is the real culprite? The anti-pirate software or the pirates that created a demand for it?

Who should the gaming community be mad at? Here is a wacky string of logic: if no one pirated games there would be no starforce or whatever it is.

Sorry. This is a stupid argument. I don't think anyone is questioning why a product like Starforce is created/needed. However, a crap product is a crap product. Blaming software pirates for the blight that is Starforce is like blaming the federal government for making the interstate too long because you went out and bought a Yugo and it broke down. Bah...javascript:emoticon('')
javascript:emoticon('')
Post Sat Mar 11, 2006 7:16 pm

Acleacius
King of the Realms
King of the Realms

Leave it to roqua1 to start sticking people in the eye with sharp pointy objects.

Anti Piracy is a PROFIT industry, which exists with or without piracy.

It is painful to see that no one (?) sees beyond the Anti Piracy hype, here is an example.
Look at how everyone has used the word "piracy" none has even used it correctly in a sentence.
No, not that I am some anal grammatist, compositionist or linguist.
Piracy is stealing and selling for profit.

If you are trying to accuse those whom take software they have not paid for and use it for their own personal use or give it to someone without profit because they can not afford it or just cause they can, that is stealing, NOT piracy.

If you are accusing people of piracy who TRADE software they BUY with someone else who Buys their software, like people have TRADED books for centuries and records for decades that is Trading.

Isn't wonderful that industry can fund and promote a attempted change industry standards (they started) they see as a threat to make even more profit or to stop the dwindling profit which ever position is the topic of the day.

Studies from Mathematicians to Economist alike started with the record industry in the 90's showing that industry (in this case Record industry) was driving away customers due to the over inflated prices and profits of the industry.
Not only does industry over inflate prices but it under values the profits it takes with phony cost write-offs to devalue the profit of the artist, i.e. like paying millions to promote phony anti piracy agenda.

Hell, the most of the software industry was created as Freeware/Shareware (try it before you buy it), the reason many artists and software companies now release software online to avoid this crap.

It is no coincidence this Piracy issue has some people spewing exactly what the Profit industry wants you to say, please try to think for yourselves.
Post Sat Mar 11, 2006 8:11 pm
evil_lemming
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

quote:
Originally posted by fluffy bunny
I'm incredibly tired about the whole Starforce debate. First of all, Starforce isn't as bad as "they" (mostly pirates) say. There's a huge amount of lies and misinformation around. Secondly, people who boycot Starforce are hurting the grass roots of the PC games industry, as it's often the small, independent companies who use it (because it's very cheap and very effective compared to its competitors).

I think it's time people stop whining about it and start enjoying some really good Starforce-protected games instead.
I really hope your a shill and not just stupid

1) Cracking groups release fixed exe files to bypass cd protections so I really doubt any pirates whine about it

2)Mount & Blade doesnt have Starforce on it, neither does Geneforge or Kult (the last three games I bought) and there all done by inde/small devs

3) "I think it's time people stop whining about it and start enjoying some really good Starforce-protected games"..... the last starforce game I had reset my pc everytime I tried to run it and while I'm unsure how you rank "enjoying" I do know it was less than fun for me

I also don't care about the whole "Starforce is better now" argument, being stung once was enough
Post Sat Mar 11, 2006 9:44 pm
roqua1

quote:
Originally posted by Acleacius
Leave it to roqua1 to start sticking people in the eye with sharp pointy objects.

Anti Piracy is a PROFIT industry, which exists with or without piracy.

It is painful to see that no one (?) sees beyond the Anti Piracy hype, here is an example.
Look at how everyone has used the word "piracy" none has even used it correctly in a sentence.
No, not that I am some anal grammatist, compositionist or linguist.
Piracy is stealing and selling for profit.

If you are trying to accuse those whom take software they have not paid for and use it for their own personal use or give it to someone without profit because they can not afford it or just cause they can, that is stealing, NOT piracy.

If you are accusing people of piracy who TRADE software they BUY with someone else who Buys their software, like people have TRADED books for centuries and records for decades that is Trading.

Isn't wonderful that industry can fund and promote a attempted change industry standards (they started) they see as a threat to make even more profit or to stop the dwindling profit which ever position is the topic of the day.

Studies from Mathematicians to Economist alike started with the record industry in the 90's showing that industry (in this case Record industry) was driving away customers due to the over inflated prices and profits of the industry.
Not only does industry over inflate prices but it under values the profits it takes with phony cost write-offs to devalue the profit of the artist, i.e. like paying millions to promote phony anti piracy agenda.

Hell, the most of the software industry was created as Freeware/Shareware (try it before you buy it), the reason many artists and software companies now release software online to avoid this crap.

It is no coincidence this Piracy issue has some people spewing exactly what the Profit industry wants you to say, please try to think for yourselves.

Okay, I'll think for myself. The music, gaming, and movie industries all have vastly differnt cash flows and revenue streams, they don't work the same, and you cannot make real comparisons. So that nullifies that. Second, how do you define a butt-pirate? Are there different kinds?

Third, fancy games use anti-piracy. No fancy games are being made that interest me, so the whole industry can burn down because of starforce and I'd just laugh like a butt-pirate that just got some from a cabin boy. I am a big supporter of anti-piracy and I love and support starforce. I hope they use it as an industry standard on all AAA titles, and then move into consoles.
Post Sat Mar 11, 2006 11:19 pm

Goto page 1, 2  Next