Windows XP Service Pack 2 Game Conflicts @ GameSpot
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > News Comments

Author Thread
Kristophe
Obi-Wan Kermobi
Obi-Wan Kermobi

Windows XP Service Pack 2 Game Conflicts @ GameSpot

GameSpot's Benjamin Golze posted this <a href="http://www.gamespot.com/news/2004/08/16/news_6104980.html" target="_blank">warning</a> irt Microsoft's upcoming release of it's Windows XP Service Pack 2 - and the known gaming conflicts associated with this newest Windows update... <br> <br><blockquote><em>The impending release of Service Pack 2 for Windows XP has prompted Microsoft to reveal a list of programs that may experience problems with the massive update. Included on the rather extensive list are quite a few games, such as Warcraft III and Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic. <br> <br>Microsoft stated that most of the problems are associated with the new built-in Windows firewall, where users must approve programs that attempt to make Internet connections. However, some programs use data pages that the firewall automatically blocks, as they are common attack routes for hackers. A work-around is built into the firewall software, as well as the ability for advanced users to simply turn it off. <br></em></blockquote>
Post Sun Aug 22, 2004 9:13 am
Garrett

hehe...even some ms programs have problems with süp2 *lol*
Post Sun Aug 22, 2004 9:14 am
Dwango
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

WARNING! Turn OFF Auto Update.

Auto Update will automatically update Windows XP to SP2 if you do not turn it off.

If you have not already gotten this update with Auto-Update on, it is because MicroSoft is spreading out the update across groups of users as thier servers can't handle all the users that have XP. So, if you haven't got it and don't want it, TURN IT OFF NOW!

Here is how.
1. Click on the Start menu.
2. Click on the Control Panel.
3. The Control Panel window opens.
4. Find the Icon named Administrative Tools.
5. Double-click Administrative Tools.
6. The Administrative Tools window opens.
7. Find the Services short-cut.
8. Double click the Services short-cut.
9. The Services window opens.
10. In the list of services find Automatic Updates. Be careful you don't touch anything else in this Window if you don't know what you are doing.
11. Double-click the Automatic Updates line.
12. An Automatic Updates Properties Window opens.
13. There are Tabs on the top. Make sure the active tab is general by clicking on the General tab.
14. Look for a field named Startup Type.
15. Click on the text box in startup type. A list should drop down from the text box with the following options:
Automatic
Manual
Disabled
16. Click on the Disabled option.
17. The drop down list should roll up and leave Disabled in the text box.
18. Click the OK button.
19. You don't have to, but I would reboot and run these steps one more time to verify the changes really did occur.

You are done. If you feel you want to check for Critical fixes, go to "Windows Update" in your browser. Allow Microsoft to install its update software. Now you can manually pick and choose any updates you need. So you can get all the critical updates you need, but avoid SP2 until you feel it is necessary.

-Dwango
Post Mon Aug 23, 2004 4:09 pm
Chekote
Where’s my Banana?!?!
Where’s my Banana?!?!

I would STRONGLY recommend getting SP2. There are a lot of very important security fixes in there.

The problems mentioned here are due to the new Firewall. If you are experiencing problems with it, then just turn it off. Dont ignore SP2 completely just because a small portion of it is TOO secure!
Post Mon Aug 23, 2004 4:18 pm

I would STRONGLY suggest waiting 6 months to let the public root out all the new bugs before upgrading to SP2. Historically, service packs have introduced many bugs and security loop-holes of their own. It usually takes about 6 months to clear the majority of these up, though other major problems will continue to be discovered well after the release (which is why XP continues to need updates and service packs).

I would suggest updating to all the Critical Updates, as they were smaller, more focused updates, less likely to introduce new bugs. Update to XP SP2 now only if you depend on the XP firewall or truly need some of the new features listed for the Service Pack. Otherwise, just keep your existing firewall (you DO have a firewall, right?) and Virus protection up to date and wait a bit for the dust to settle.
Post Tue Aug 24, 2004 8:47 am

Dwango
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Pardon, above was me!

-Dwango
Post Tue Aug 24, 2004 8:50 am

Yes I do have a firewall apart from the Windows XP one. But I can guarantee you that 98% of Windows users dont.

There were a lot of fixes in the Service Pack that are not included in the critical updates that I needed. Especially the improved networking support (Having a laptop that I use on multiple networks that can all see the same server but at different IP addresses REALY screwed with XP's head until SP2).
Post Tue Aug 24, 2004 2:05 pm