kind of disappointed
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Dungeon Siege

Author Thread
gandalf970
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

kind of disappointed

Well I finished the game, but was a little disappointed in the ending. The big guys in this game aren't really that bad. i had more trouble with the goblin part then the dragon or the end. I never had to restart any boss guy, but I sure had trouble with the goblins. I guess what I didn't like was that I expected the game to be more roleplaying. I mean that is what it says on the front cover "A Role-Playing game from Chris Taylor". I didn't want it to be a hack'n'slash fest, which is what this game is. I must say that the graphics, sound and over all play ability was great! I put something like 50 hours just toodiling around. Hopefully the editor will be great. One thing I couldn't understand was the 4.5 million in gold I was walking around. I thought gear was to readily available. Overall it was entertaining, at least enough to get me into golf now that summer is here.
Post Mon Apr 29, 2002 4:56 am
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

Yes, the final boss was not so difficult as I expected.

If you read single review about this game before buying it... You can not expect that box of game will give you enough information about that game it is not place for objective informations but for advertisement. Place for objective informations is somewhere else...
Post Mon Apr 29, 2002 5:41 am
Gig
Southern Spirit
Southern Spirit

I never saw anything that lead me to believe that DS would be anything different than it was. It was a Free-for-all from one end to the other with some RPG elements thrown in. The developers were proud of that, they never made any secret as to what to expect.

I didn't like the end of DS either, it didn't really end properly, it just kind of stopped.
''Perhaps I'm old and tired but I always think that the chances of finding out what really is going on are so absurdly remote that the only thing to do is to say hang the sense of it and just keep yourself occupied. Look at me: I design coastlines. I got an award for Norway.''--Slartibartfast
Post Mon Apr 29, 2002 1:21 pm
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

That's a side effect of having a weak story.

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

=Member of the Nonflamers Guild=
=Worshipper of the Written Word=
Post Mon Apr 29, 2002 1:30 pm
Gig
Southern Spirit
Southern Spirit

''Perhaps I'm old and tired but I always think that the chances of finding out what really is going on are so absurdly remote that the only thing to do is to say hang the sense of it and just keep yourself occupied. Look at me: I design coastlines. I got an award for Norway.''--Slartibartfast
Post Mon Apr 29, 2002 1:53 pm
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

quote:
Originally posted by EverythingXen
That's a side effect of having a weak story.

It has weak story EverythingXen? Come on, you can not believe this.. .
Post Mon Apr 29, 2002 2:01 pm
iloveplywood

The demo's story had me enthralled. I'm not ashamed to admit i cried when the guy on the bridge died in the beginning. Of course, I went to see attack of the clone for the love story. Now that was chemistry!
Post Mon May 27, 2002 10:52 pm

SuperCowMan24
Blademaster of the Moo
Blademaster of the Moo

that guy who played Anakin was THE worst actor i have ever seen...

yes dungeon siege had a weak story but shoot! its a great game. diablo 2 had a weak story but it was fun to play! get two or three friends, and run past all the monsters to a mildley difficult part, and have a blast just shooting stuff. the editor is so easy and perfect to use too... aaaanyways. if you really wanna roleplay you have to probably roleplay with your friends and use the siege editor. these days "role playing game" usually means something like you have a character, he levels up, a semi epic situation, and it usually involves swords and dragons, or some other fantasy situation. Not like good old baldurs gate or plaescape torment... heck they consider everquest an rpg... yea right.

Don't you feel better now?
Post Tue May 28, 2002 2:50 am
cecirdr
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Ok, I'm shocked...it's so unlike me... but so far I've enjoyed DS just for what it is...a romp...pure and simple. There's lots of goodies, and lots of baddies to fight...that's it. But the game engine is well done in my book. It's amazing what the game is capable of with very little requirements as far as graphics cards go.

But since I'm not done with the game yet, I reserve the right to get bored . But I'm hoping that some industrious programmers and gamers can create some good stories for an otherwise marvelous game engine.
Post Tue May 28, 2002 7:55 pm
Badger
Stripey Forest Dweller
Stripey Forest Dweller

I am very much enjoying it so far, although in fairness I haven't put the hours in that some of you have.

It has been a pleasant suprise for me, because I read a preview of the game before it was released, that described it as very similar to Diablo 2. Also I read messages on this very board, describing how linear it is.

Well the funny thing is, I didn't like Diablo 2! Generally I don't like games that are too linear either. Yet DS has been great fun. Yep, it's gone right up my flagpole and I'm giving it a Badger salute.

Ahh well. Life is full of contradictions. Consider this one of them.

Badger.

ps: Morrowind is released here on friday! yes yes yes yes yes yes.. steady boy!)
Post Wed May 29, 2002 11:04 am
Warmaster-Horus
Most Exalted Highlord
Most Exalted Highlord

It's more fun than it has anyright to be, i played it obsessively until I got MSFS 2002 and Morrowind

=Leader of the Horus Heresy=
=Champion of Khorne=
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD SKULLS FOR THE THRONE
Post Thu May 30, 2002 6:12 am
Biggyd
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Gasp!...you said the 'M' word. (Morrowind)

I was excited about Dungeon Siege when I first saw the screen shots. I thought it would be a nice mix of Bauldurs and Diablo 2. I was wrong. After a month of playing it, it was played out. Maybe a good healty expansion can fix it. It really needs more types of creatures, spells, and items. More player races is something it really needs.

As for Morrowind, theres a game that diserves the bargin bin at Ames. And the first to games (Arena-Daggerfall) were so amazing too.
Post Thu Jun 06, 2002 6:26 pm
Sparhawk
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Gothic reborn

I found the game more like Gothic, I see no likeness with Baldur'r Gate or Diablo II (or Diablo) at all.

Since I started playing Gothic....I mean Dungeon Siege, I see no personal touch at all, no voices execpt for the NPC's, even after I cleared out the Balcksmith's helper's house and went back to sell stuff, he still acted like I still needed to do it, even after my quest log listed it as finished.

And what is with that Strategies guide?!?! I have no clue most of time, what they are talking about when it comes to maps!
Post Sun Jun 09, 2002 12:03 am

But the music is great! Same theme through the whole game and the climax in the end, I think the music in the end beat the end boss by a long shot!
Post Mon Jun 10, 2002 2:04 am

SpanGi
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

quote:
Originally posted by SuperCowMan24
diablo 2 had a weak story but it was fun to play!
I agree on you there, buuuuut.. there is ALOT more story than the one told at Diablo 1 and 2. Blizzard managed to build a WORLD - Sanctuary - with lot's of good stories hidden for those who "only" played the game. I.E. Heard the full story about Horazon & Bartuc (know who he was?)

Just a small note
Post Mon Jun 10, 2002 4:59 am

Goto page 1, 2  Next