Usergroups
Hints, hints,hints (Not quest related)
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Wizardry 8

Author Thread
Michael C
Black Dragon
Black Dragon

Just an idea I got to post all non-quest related hints in here. Mostly small hints most people oversee. I start the list with those in no particular order:

- All characters except figther can learn Set/Return portal spell from the "Air" realm (Saves a lot of annoying travel time in middle and end game).

- Stay of the roads if you don't want to fight a lot, and use X-ray spell to detect all monsters early on.

- Give blue feather to Trynnie herbalist, to be able to buy a lot of "Renewal potions" from him

- The pool inside the temple with the (chief)priest in Arnika heals any condition (limited use).

- Sleeping in a hut with closed doors secure undesturbed rest, also if monsters should be just outside the door.

-Myles have more than 2 quests for you!

- Teleport NPC's into areas they normally won't go into, to get them along.

- Use empty bottles on the tar-pools in the south region of the swamp area, for "cherry bomb" to use or sell!

- The Umpanis and Trangs can be united in the end if you don't destroy either of them first!

- Some area's have a lot higher random encounter frequent as others, so find the right places to sleep!

- Do have these 5-6 spells always active:
Shadow hound: Inititive in battle.
Armor plate: Melee attack protection.
Magic Screen: Magic protection.
X-ray: Monster awareness
Missile shield: Ranged attack protection.
Enhanced blade: An edge for your attackers in battle.
Post Fri Mar 01, 2002 11:01 am
Michael C
Black Dragon
Black Dragon

Continued...

- some potions can be merged to stronger/better poitions even without an Alchemist.

- In battles the spells "Soul shield" and "Elemental shield" is your number one protection against spellcaster.

- The wilderness clearing, will not always stay "clear".

- Lure som initial very powerfull spellcasters into the "No magic zone" in Trynton and some other few places.

- Not all sales clercks give you the same amount of money for the same item!

- Bad ailment spells are very very usefull in battles except the "sleep" ailment.

- A few things needs to be examined twice to get another posibility.

- Always keep your characters low burdened (White or blue coloured), to see them attack many more times in one round. Special/rare items you sell to a shopkeeper, can always be bought back again from the same shopkeeper at a later time.
Post Fri Mar 01, 2002 12:25 pm
Sir Markus
Counselor of the King
Counselor of the King

I'll add one:

In the village in Bayjin, which is loaded with tough monsters, try to move from shack to shack, and if the battle is going poorly shut the door and rest.

When you wake up fully healed the monsters should still be outside the door.

Armormelt helps immensely with the crabs here. Armorplate is good too.
Post Fri Mar 01, 2002 6:51 pm
lothario
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

USE THE TERRAIN. If you get in an encounter, look for any nearby area that you can run to that will provide protection to the sides and back of the party. Oftentimes you can squeeze into places that allow you to face one enemy at a time.

cheers,
James

[ This Message was edited by: lothario on 2002-03-01 13:21 ]
Post Fri Mar 01, 2002 7:19 pm
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

I just decided that it could be useful to mark this interesting topic from Michael C as sticky, so every new user could read it and probably add new tips .

[ This Message was edited by: Danicek on 2002-03-15 15:04 ]
Post Fri Mar 15, 2002 9:03 pm
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

I didn't know some of these.
Good idea Danicek, thanks

Post Fri Mar 15, 2002 9:07 pm
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

So Michael wrote nearly all good tips I can imagine and remember, here are some more, howevere some of them are obvious for everyone.

- Swamps are ideal for gaining several more levels, if you sleep in hut, there will respawn several golems (Oazits or something like that) that are easy to fight and give you many exp. points

- just very short moment of resting restores whole stamina

- always increase important primary abilities (for example strenght for fighter) to 100 it will unlocke special abilites and this special abilities are very useful

- character with high scouting ability will find many items for you and when you sell them, you will have enough many to buy some perfect items

- try custom items, they are sometimes very good and useful

- balance your party for melee and range fights, however in many cases you can choose terrain and throught it also type of fight

- choose rases for your character wisely, not all rases are suitable for all professions

- you should know that every member of your party gets equal number of exp. from killed monsters and finished quests, but less members = more exp. points to each character

[ This Message was edited by: Danicek on 2002-03-18 01:01 ]
Post Fri Mar 15, 2002 9:09 pm
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

quote:

On 2002-03-01 06:25, Michael C wrote:
- In battles the spells "Soul shield" and "Elemental shield" is your number one protection against spellcaster.

It can be useful (especially later in game) keep this spells always "on"
- misile shield
- armorplate
- shadowhound
- X-Ray
And keep in mind that these spells have some duration so check some of them before battles - it can be fatal if they expire during battle.

[ This Message was edited by: Danicek on 2002-03-18 04:53 ]
Post Mon Mar 18, 2002 10:52 am
Sir Markus
Counselor of the King
Counselor of the King

A few more:

If you get a new weapon but are not sure of its 'cursed' status, equip it in one of the 'secondary weapon' slots on one of your characters. If it is cursed a red line will still outline it, but it will still be removable.

Also, for making Zynarax Plate armor (Antone in Arnika makes this) in addition to the other two ingredients, regular skulls are just as acceptable as the tomb/crypt skull he requires.
Post Tue Mar 19, 2002 4:23 am
Sir Markus
Counselor of the King
Counselor of the King

I just found a great area for newbies that I missed the first time through the Umpani caverns.

I was searching the twisty passages in the southeast of, I believe level 2, of the caverns, the area with pits. I had missed some parts the first time through and decided to explore it all.

Well anyway, I walked to one area and nothing at all seemed different about the ground, except the sound of my footsteps sounded like they were on wood instead of stone, when I touched it, sure enough a trap door opened up to reveal a stairway, which led to a ladder down.

I ended up in a large underground cavern filled with black slimes, flesh eating slimes, and green slimes and one mummy (mummy dust).

I wish I had found this earlier, because it gives some GREAT newbie EQ, exp. and spells.

Just wanted to let new players to look for this area, it's worth searching for.
Post Tue Mar 19, 2002 5:19 am
Yhtaarus
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Can U describe this place better, more precisely. How can i get there??? Where is it?
Post Tue Mar 19, 2002 11:39 am
Sir Markus
Counselor of the King
Counselor of the King

This trap door is basically located on the upper east/northeast area of the FIRST level of the Umpani Caverns/Mt. Gigas Caverns.

There are several 'pits' in this area. There is a sign entering this area that says something like "Warning, You Entering Unexplored Territory: Proceed At Own Risk."

This trap door looks almost exactly like the floor; the only way I was able to find it was because I had the sound turned up enough where I could hear my footsteps change from making the 'walking on ground' noise to the 'walking on wood' noise.

It's not really worth it, though, unless you're a newbie, but it's fun to explore either way.

This trap door and ladder are located in a dead end in this area.

There may be another way into this area, so I suppose it's possible you've already explored this area, though.

[ This Message was edited by: Sir Markus on 2002-03-19 08:01 ]
Post Tue Mar 19, 2002 1:56 pm

Here's something I found on some guy's signature on the Sir-Tech support board that deals with that annoying 'is not powerful enough to understand the writing' message.

"Visit http://wiz8.web1000.com/ to download an Excel spreadsheet that allows you to enter in your spellcasters current stats, and the spreadsheet will tell you what spells the character can learn, or for spells that they are not yet able to learn, it will tell you how many points you need, or why your character can't learn the spell."

If you scroll down to about half way you'll get all the info, i downloaded it and worked great for me.

Sam
Post Wed Mar 20, 2002 2:20 am

Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

Another tip:

if you think that battles are too slow for you, download unofficial but fully funtional "speed_patch".
Post Thu Mar 21, 2002 9:51 am
Sir Markus
Counselor of the King
Counselor of the King

Danicek:

I'm going to use that speed patch when I start the game for the second time, any idea where I can find it?
Post Thu Mar 21, 2002 2:19 pm

Goto page 1, 2  Next