Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

Actions speak louder than words.
Post Sun Apr 17, 2005 2:29 am
RPG Frog
Blade Runner
Blade Runner

Turns out Harry Gregson-Williams's score is excellent! In fact, it does remind me of Hans Zimmer's work on Last Samurai and Gladiator.

Between the years when the oceans drank Atlantis and the gleaming cities…there was an Age undreamed of, when shining kingdoms lay spread across the world like blue mantles beneath the stars…Hither came Conan, the Cimmerian, black-haired, sullen-eyed, sword in hand…to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandaled feet. - Robert E. Howard
Post Tue May 03, 2005 11:55 pm
Sem
Solid as a Rock
Solid as a Rock

I'm very curious about this movie. I like the genre a lot, but I get the feeling that after Gladiator everybody wants to get a piece of the pie. So I hope it doesn't resemble Gladiator too much. In one of the trailers, you could even pinpoint the scenes that were ripped from Gladiator, that kind of upset me.

I had hoped for some true Saracen mercenaries in this movie, dual-wielding with scimitars, riding on dromedaries, but I haven't seen anything like that yet.

Post Wed May 04, 2005 8:58 am
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

I'm with piln here (with the exception of BHD which I thought was so-so but would have been better without dialogues). 'Over-produced no-brain bling-bling cinema' seems to be the current fad... semi-historical-flicks-with-big-explosions-and-the*-Hans-Zimmer-soundtrack. If you've seen one, you've seen them all. I liked the title 'Kingdom of Heaven', but when I read 'Scott' and 'Zimmer' and 'crusades', I decided to pass on this one until it hits local TV.

*actually there are two different Hans Zimmer soundtracks: 'The Pearl Pirates of Crimson Rock' and 'The Thin, Black Gladiator'. While clones of the bloodcurdling 'Pearl Pirates' score happen to disgrace every TV channel's 20:00 news, the 'Thin Black' is less obtrusive.
Post Wed May 04, 2005 1:28 pm
RPG Frog
Blade Runner
Blade Runner

quote:
Originally posted by Sem
I'm very curious about this movie. I like the genre a lot, but I get the feeling that after Gladiator everybody wants to get a piece of the pie. So I hope it doesn't resemble Gladiator too much. In one of the trailers, you could even pinpoint the scenes that were ripped from Gladiator, that kind of upset me.

I had hoped for some true Saracen mercenaries in this movie, dual-wielding with scimitars, riding on dromedaries, but I haven't seen anything like that yet.

If anything in Kingdom of Heaven is ripped from Gladiator, it's because it's the same director. And I think the script is written by the same guy.

What cracks me up, is when people claim that Gladiator ripped off Braveheart.

Braveheart - Wallace's wife is tied to a pole and her throat slit
Gladiator - Maximus's wife and child are hanged and burned

The only thing similar is revenge. Braveheart invinted this?

Braveheart - Wallace is tortured at the end of the movie
Gladiator - Maximus is poisoned and he duels the emperor

I guess the fact that they both die at the end means Gladiator ripped off Braveheart?

I am suprised at the number of times I have heard this. Gladiator ripped nothing from Braveheart. These types of themes have been used in literature for thousands of years.
Between the years when the oceans drank Atlantis and the gleaming cities…there was an Age undreamed of, when shining kingdoms lay spread across the world like blue mantles beneath the stars…Hither came Conan, the Cimmerian, black-haired, sullen-eyed, sword in hand…to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandaled feet. - Robert E. Howard
Post Wed May 04, 2005 1:48 pm
RPG Frog
Blade Runner
Blade Runner

Definitely watching this flick again!

Killer music!

Killer battles! There are 5 of them. The 4th was cut to make the movie 2.5 hours. They probably did this to appease Muslim scholars who complained the movie would incite people against Muslims. This awesome battle would have showed the Muslims slaughtering the Christins(I believe the faction shown was a group of Templars?). Hopefully, they add the other 30 minutes into the DVD. Loved how they showed fields of dead with vultures everywhere!

Killer cinematography! Snow. Desert. Shipwreck. France. Jerusalem! WOW! As usual, nothing looks like CG in a Ridley Scott film!

The only weak-spot of the movie is that you have no real emotional attachment to these characters. Ridley's film is very neutral about taking sides of the Christians or the Muslims. Although he paints the Christians in a much dimmer light than the Muslims. Thus the crowd will not truly identify with either side. (For this reason I believe this will not get the critical acclaim of Gladiator). I could care less. I got exactly what I wanted out of this movie!

Genre fans will eat this up! Casual movie-goers will probably give this a lukewarm reception.

I give this movie a (Conan the Barbarian, Excalibur, Gladiator, LOTR)...

Post Sat May 07, 2005 2:07 pm

Goto page Previous  1, 2