Concerning Chapter 5, Demons and Crew
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 Spoilers

Author Thread
Phalanx
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

Concerning Chapter 5, Demons and Crew

I'm up to the point where Xardas has given me a letter to open a book. I've opened the book and pulled the lever, gone down to lower places. Killed a dozen skels or so and found a mini library with some demons. I'm having a bit of trouble fighting the demons. I can't kill them. I'm a dragon hunter with the ore battle blade which requires 90 str and does 90 dmg. My skill in two handed is 65%. I'm level 26.

Is there a weapon that I've missed that'll give me that extra edge.

And I've basically gone straight from chapter 4 onto the main quest, so should I be doing everything I possibly can before I continue on with the main quest. It seems there is a large portion of the map I haven't gone through like some mayan temple and other sorts.

I did a bit of sneaking with transforming into a fire lizard and taking the items on the desk so I know what is going to happen next. What captain should I choose, Torlof or Jorgen. Torlof wants me to basically kill everyone in castle by letting the orcs through, so I'm leaning towards Jorgen. My crew that I'm thinking of is Deigo, Gorn, Jorgen/Torlof, Lester, Milton.

Tell me your thoughts, I don't know anything about chapter 6 so please no details
Post Sun Aug 10, 2003 2:38 pm
Enlightenment_Project
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Hey..
Im at pretty much the same point
I am a level 37 Fire mage...

So far my crew consists of... (But i have not left the docks yet, so i can change my mind..)

Jorgen (Captain)

Milten (Fire mage)
Vatras (water mage)
Diego (for dex/ bowman to help)
Gorn (for his 'axe' .. fighter to back me up)
Lester (no idea why, may be handy, and trustworthy)

Other possibilities are (so far i found)
Lee (1/2 handed training and possible fighter)
Torlof (captain, but not happy about sacrificing the castle dwellers ), im a nice mage)
cant remember if the paladin Girion was wanting to join, but he is near my ship somewhere.
bennet the blacksmith too.

---
Decisions Decisions. i got 240 mana already, and circle 6. Thing is Milten and Vatras, at the minute CANT increase my mana, or teach me any runes i wish to know. Hope they will be able to do this on the island. (let me know if they can)
---

For you Phalanx, i would suggest Lee (for training as a fighter) Diego if u want to try with dexterity, and need a thief to help. and Bennet (a Good blacksmith, maybe to help you Make better weapons.

jack may also be a possible captain (Owner of the lighthouse), He was Pining after the seas. (i not spoke to him yet)

The demons, my friends at same level as you almost EXACTLY, dragon hunter 90 90p weapon, he says its tough too. (sory duno how to help here). Apart from try and get some more experience points before leaving the two maps (khorinis and vally of mines). Increase level and skills before going for it (will make it easier later)

Last edited by Enlightenment_Project on Sun Aug 10, 2003 3:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post Sun Aug 10, 2003 2:55 pm
Enlightenment_Project
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Also. I cfound Angar (also past Sect member), and Mario (in the harbour bar).

Hmmm
Post Sun Aug 10, 2003 3:24 pm
Dra Gon
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Phalanx, easy way to kill demons (and demon lords) is to use 1h sword (orc slayer works great)... It does less damage (65) than your 2 h (90) but is much faster ... all you have to do when the demon attack you is to swing left-right left-right (not forward) ... the demon will keep attacking you till it dies...
You won't get a scratch on you

With 2h sword (slower) you let them the posibility to hit you (and they do a fair amount of damage)...
Post Mon Aug 11, 2003 8:02 am
hornyc
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

actually u can bring all of them to the island.. it doesnt matter actually.. i dunno if its a bug or something but when i tried it (load it a few time), they all actually can b on the ship..
Post Mon Aug 11, 2003 9:16 am
Phalanx
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

Thanks for your help

I've decided to take on Torlof as my captain, letting the orcs into the castle was the best fight I've seen.

I'm also taking

Deigo
Milten
Lester
Gorn
Vardas
Angar
Lee
Bennett
and one more who I haven't decided yet

I won't be taking Marco, I don't trust a guy who tells me his killed 2 dozen orc by himself. I can't solo more than 8 of them.
Post Mon Aug 11, 2003 10:46 am
Whailor
Most Exalted Highlord
Most Exalted Highlord

OK, the chars whom you can take with you are: Lee, Gorn, Wolf (must not send him to Bengar's for that), Bennet, Torlof (one of captain choices), Jack (another possible captain), Jorgen (another possible captain), Milten, Vatras, Diego, Lester, Lares, Mario, Girion, Angar. I think that's all..

From captains you can take only one of them. I never used Torlof, since even as a mercenary I am not such a crook that let the orcs run the paladins over. Paladins are not my enemys. So this leaves Jack and Jorgen. But who says that I can't do the quest for both for extra XP and then get one of them? That's what I always did, racked up the XP from both quests and then chose one. Which - doesn't matter;

I have taken Mario couple of times, but there's no difference. It's clear that the guy is a traitor. Taking him or not taking him will chance only one battle: with him it's he and some skeletons (you get almanac too, +300-350 XP I think, some loot to sell) or without him you will face 5 undead orcs. Whatever you want. I personally sacked him later, he is useless and I can use his spot for someone else;

I usually have with me the following people:

Milten
Lester
Diego
Lares *
Bennet
Vatras
Lee
Jorgen *
Angar
Girion

If you want to take with you Wolf, then you need to send someone away. Lares is generally pretty pointless char in this game, so he can be replaced (Diego trains what he does). Jorgen is one of the captain choices, you can take Jack or Torlof instead. Wolf is good to have, if you want to train Bow skill later. Girion is good to have if you want to train Crossbow, and he's sort of a free char anyway. I have not been able to get more then this people with me, as the next person you will try to invite will be told by your char, that there's not enough room, so it's 10 crew members.

This crew can train me all I need, not to mention packs the punch too. Not that this really matters more then in one battle, but it's fast and free XP for me
Post Mon Aug 11, 2003 11:32 am
Thormiel
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Hmm..I must have missed something somewhere. Who is Mario?
Post Mon Aug 11, 2003 12:56 pm
Daedalus
High Emperor
High Emperor

Mario will be in the last chapter in the City Tawern he is a traitor if u take him to ur crew u need to kill him later also why no one takes Cor Angar or Biff i never taked biff but someone told he is available to take also
Post Mon Aug 11, 2003 1:12 pm
OreBaron
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Yeah i took Biff he wanted gold just like me, the ending was very fitting to my playsyle "THE GOLD STAYS ABOARD!" I raised the castle gate nice fight, funny thing is I helped them(did most of the fighting. if Lord Hagen just gave me that Paladin troop hes leading I could clean the valley of orcs. Where does Angar meet after the crypt, I didnt find him after that(i went to where he said he'd meet me) how do you get Jack as a capitan, he said that he'd rather stay and guard his lighthouse. Well I'm going to start a new game Paladin rather than Dragon Hunter this time.
Post Mon Aug 11, 2003 11:38 pm
Whailor
Most Exalted Highlord
Most Exalted Highlord

Jack stayed back to guard the lighthouse, because you already have someone else as a captain. Considering that you opened the castle gates, I guess you took Torlof then, and he's one of the captain choices. You can have Torlof OR Jack OR Jorgen, only one of those 3.
Post Tue Aug 12, 2003 9:59 am
Orc Hunter 06
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

i took lester but so far the only thing he has said is that he might have something to tell me later... other than that in my find a crew quest it says that he has been weaker ever since he reached the island... what the heck is wrong with him anyway? and does he ever do anything to help me? considering the game i took him with me i havent finished yet cause its one my moms work laptop and that usually stays at her office but i havent even come close to finishing in the games i have at home so is it wise to take lester or not?
Post Sat Aug 16, 2003 6:07 pm
Jonric
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Of course Lester is useful! He is the.. uhm.. spiritual support for the Crew
And anyways, what would an Irdorath Crew be without the whole "old crowd" (Diego / Milten / Gorn / Lester ), I wouldn't want to go anywhere without my old friends

In terms of usefulness, your best choices are Biff and Angar. You can take both of them with you up to a certain point on the island. (Angar can be found at Bengars Farm if you completed his quest in act 4; Biff is still in the Valley of Mines. You have to go back and take him to the mountain pass and then talk to him on the other side)

ps: on a side note, there is a little joke if you take both Bennet and Wolf with you. when you talk to Wolf on the ship for the first time he says something like "damn, did you have to take Bennet with you!?" you ask him why and he's like "aww nothing, forget it" and sits down on a bench in front of Bennets forge.
because: the whole game he's been sitting on that bench in the mercenary camp watching Bennet do his work while he himself was bored to death, and now that he finally found something to do, guess what.. all he can do is sit down on another bench and watch Bennet do his work.. poor Wolf
Post Sat Aug 16, 2003 9:32 pm
Egin
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

Uff, tough choise. This is my first game, so I have no idea what awaits me at that island and what should I keep in mind choosing a crew.

-I am a paladin with 1h and some magic. All I need is strength teacher who will train me up to 100 (who will ???)
-Alchemist with a table for str potions.
- mage for mana (Vatras is better IMO, bcause he can heal)

Who can teach me runes? In Korinis only that pala could, but I can't take him.

Are there any shrines on that island of Ildorath ? I haven't prayed to get more skills yet.

Pls advise.
Post Wed Sep 03, 2003 3:12 pm