Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
My Annoyances with Oblivion ( What are yours? )
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Oblivion - General

Author Thread
lilithn
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Yeah, I've been playing with Oblivion for five (full) days now, and just starting to enjoy it really. I liked the alien feeling of Morrowind though. And I loved Gothic 's warm feeling, like coming home each time I started a new game. I think I've just waited for Oblivion so long and hard that now I get annoyed by itsy-bitsy things. It's beautiful, really enjoyable and memorable piece, just a tad bit difficult for me. Or at least I don't get the feeling that I've accomplished something when leveling since everyone levels with me. But the quests are really really cool and that's what counts the most for me!!!
Post Mon Apr 03, 2006 2:20 pm
Muze
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

You can adjust the difficulty with a slider but be warned, it's extremely sensitive. I tried a little higher and found myself getting my ass handed to me on a tan plate. So I put it back to the middle. You would be better off getting one or a combination of mods that allows you to level more smoothly, or not have enemies become obsolete, which means high level beasties will roam the land as well, and you take your chances.

I have a heavily modded game atm and I didn't want to mess with too many leveling mods. But I do have a mod that makes leveling twice as slow, so that it takes longer for beasts/loot to become obsolete. I kind of don't mind everyone leveling together, although the mod I mentioned before sounds exciting. I guess I feel like that's what Gothic 2 is for.
Post Wed Apr 05, 2006 3:56 pm
lilithn
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Well I think I will just play without messing with levels for this first time.
However I really miss the Gothic 2 feeling, like...
Level 5: "Oh my God, an Orc Scout! Run, run...!!!!"
Level 35: "Hehh, three Orc Warlords...come my babies..."
Post Thu Apr 06, 2006 6:25 am
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

quote:
Originally posted by lilithn

However I really miss the Gothic 2 feeling, like...
Level 5: "Oh my God, an Orc Scout! Run, run...!!!!"
Level 35: "Hehh, three Orc Warlords...come my babies..."

Me too :-[
Post Thu Apr 06, 2006 6:52 am
teras
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Gothic 2 is THE classic. I think that gothic's combat system is the best ever, because it was really up to you and your timed moves to kill any enemy or get killed.When I first met the Orc scout I remember trying to kill it over 30 times.The logical thing to do at that time was run of course but guess what..I managed to kill it using everything I had like spellscrolls and a good combination of attack/defence moves even though i was no real match for it at that time.A combat system like that really makes you feel like you are doing the fight instead of your character doing it for you.
Post Sat Apr 08, 2006 2:39 am
lilithn
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

quote:
Originally posted by teras
Gothic 2 is THE classic. I think that gothic's combat system is the best ever, because it was really up to you and your timed moves to kill any enemy or get killed.When I first met the Orc scout I remember trying to kill it over 30 times.The logical thing to do at that time was run of course but guess what..I managed to kill it using everything I had like spellscrolls and a good combination of attack/defence moves even though i was no real match for it at that time.A combat system like that really makes you feel like you are doing the fight instead of your character doing it for you.

I totally agree! I hope that Gothic 3 will not be touched by this "Oblivion-randomization - levelization" ...although I enjoy Oblivion immensely.
Post Mon Apr 10, 2006 6:28 am
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

quote:
Originally posted by teras

I believe Oblivion made it closer to this Gothic-like combat setting. I mean far closer than Morrowind. Yet, the whole autoscaling thing (that is not about the combat itself) ruined it.
Post Mon Apr 10, 2006 6:55 am
teras
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

[/quote]
I believe Oblivion made it closer to this Gothic-like combat setting. I mean far closer than Morrowind. Yet, the whole autoscaling thing (that is not about the combat itself) ruined it.[/quote]

Yes, you are right. The combat system is closer, although not really there. I have to admit that I like the striking and bashing effects and the way you move or blur if you get hit, that really adds to it. With the autoscaling system I can't say I mind a lot but I'm only level 4 (still early in the game) so maybe that will change later on.
Post Wed Apr 12, 2006 4:11 am
bjon045
Fearless Paladin
Fearless Paladin

quote:
Originally posted by Danicek

I believe Oblivion made it closer to this Gothic-like combat setting. I mean far closer than Morrowind. Yet, the whole autoscaling thing (that is not about the combat itself) ruined it.

How long have you actually played oblivion for? The autoscaling is really only an issue at lower levels, the enemies seems to get progressively weaker after level 20ish, even with my main character who is a stealth build and only relies on a one handed weapon I have no problem taking on up to 6 opponents at the same time without using healing potions. Meanwhile the mage builds which are probably the most powerful at low levels will become godlike and close to invincible against any number of opponents.
Post Wed Apr 12, 2006 4:58 am
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

quote:
Originally posted by bjon045
How long have you actually played oblivion for? The autoscaling is really only an issue at lower levels, the enemies seems to get progressively weaker after level 20ish...

I'm only level 9. I spend quite a lot of time wandering in the cities, so my level progress is quite slow. I'm glad to hear that the autoscaling issue might be less a problem later in the game.
Post Wed Apr 12, 2006 7:06 am
lilithn
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

I'm at level 27 and I can somewhat confirm this. Human kind of enemies, no problem at all. Not even the vampires. Animals, getting to the no problem part. ;D Minotaur Lords, pft. Land Dreughs, pft.
But I've not put my leg in any Oblivion door yet, since I haven't even started the main quest, so there is still dread on my behalf. We will see.

Sorry for the offtopic: why can't I have a custom avatar from an offsite? Why? It's not an option in the profile, and I'd like to brandish my little oblivion avatar around, so everybody can see, because I'm childish little bitch like that.
Post Wed Apr 12, 2006 3:03 pm
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

External uploading is not enabled for several reasons, but you still can have your own avatar: either donate the pic you want as a public avatar (but this means it can be used by others as well), or wait until you have 500 (spam-free) posts under your belt (with 500+ you're entitled to a custom avatar).
You can donate other public avatars as well if you like, just send them to me and I'll put them up.
Post Wed Apr 12, 2006 3:56 pm
Moriendor
Black Ring Leader
Black Ring Leader

I agree. The scaling sucks much less, the longer you play and the higher you level (you do, of course, need to pay attention to gaining levels in at least one combat skill as you climb up the ranks).

My custom class Thief/Assassin/Marksman has now reached level 30+ and I have maxed Sneak and Marksman.
Most enemies are no longer a problem so the sense of achievement is definitely there.
It's still a little unbalanced though because Oblivion critters (Daedroth, Spider Daedra, Xivali, Storm Atronarchs etc) are still easier to kill than Goblins(!). That's right. Beware the mighty Goblin Warlord or Shaman .
Well, and some flavors of Ghosts/Wraiths can be a real pain, too, as well as certain types of Ogres (they hit hard and take a lot of arrows until they go down).
The wildlife, however, like bears. wolves, and even the previously feared mountain lion, are a piece of cake now. They are one-hit kills except for the brown bears but those are slow.
Same goes for the thieves and vampires etc. - It seems like anything humanoid is no longer a real problem.

Looking back at my character's progression, you could say that the scaling system provided challenges in bursts. I'm currently in an easy phase again at level 30+ and I have a feeling that it will last because there hasn't been a lot of changes/challenges for the last few levels. At least I hope so. I'm going to hate Bethesda if brown bears, timber wolves and mountain lions are suddenly going to be replaced by grizzly bears, werewolves and black panthers on one of the next level-ups .
Post Wed Apr 12, 2006 4:12 pm
Ican
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

Out of interest, how many of you are min/maxing skills in this game ? I really wish Bethesda would choose a levelling system that discourages this activity. It detracts from the general gameplay/content.

I'm not a powergamer ...far from it, but I find myself trying to obtain better skill modifiers with each passing level. Even moreso with the auto-scaling feature. If you don't attempt to maximise your level gains it can be a rough ride for your avatar between lvls 10-20.
Post Wed Apr 12, 2006 5:39 pm
Moriendor
Black Ring Leader
Black Ring Leader

You mean trying to get the 3x +5 to stats on every level-up? I'm not paying any attention to that.

I have maxed Sneak and Marksman (and Agility) the natural way.
I did some "grinding" with Conjuration (one of my majors) because I wanted to be able to summon more interesting critters and I will probably do the same with Mysticism (a major, too) which is really lagging behind at 40+.
Otherwise, I have Speechcraft, Mercantile, and Security.
Mercantile is still very low as well (they should make the skill advancement depend on trading volume in gold or something... it's stupid that it's based on the number of transactions).
Speechcraft must be in the 70s and Security is in the mid 60s.

I have also delayed a level-up a few times before. In fact, I delayed it so long (when I was in a hard difficulty phase) that I could level up three or four times in a row when I finally dared to rest .

I must admit that I'm currently slightly bored because I know that Marksman is maxed. Using a bow feels kind of unrewarding all of a sudden and I find myself trying to avoid combat as much as possible.
I don't like the melee system so that's no real alternative. Maybe I'll try to dabble in Destruction magic from now on. We'll see...

If I would start over again then I'd change just one thing about the development of my character which is that I'd pay more attention to buying the 5x training from NPCs on every level. I forgot to buy training on a lot of levels in my current game (or was too lazy to look for the trainer).

Otherwise I'm happy. Stats don't seem to matter that much so I don't care if I get +2, +3 or +5 on level-up. I just play the game, do quests etc... the stats will eventually max out anyway. Let's face it... the game sure as hell has enough content to max them out multiple times if you really did every single quest, dungeon, gate, whatever .
Post Wed Apr 12, 2006 11:55 pm

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next