View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > CRPGs General

Author Thread
Remus
Overgrown Cat
Overgrown Cat

Interplay & Fallout as MMORPG

quote:
Commenting on the announcement, Mr. Caen said, "Based on a detailed review of where our industry stands and the level of interest in the gaming community in taking some of our premier properties online, we are now pursuing several options to fund our entry into Massively Multiplayer Online Gaming with titles including Fallout. Initial feedback from our investment bank and ongoing dialogue with others in the gaming sector appear to confirm that the combination of our valuable and popular intellectual properties with the rapidly growing online gaming community is the best way to maximize Interplay shareholder value."

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/040625/def023_1.html
Post Sat Jun 26, 2004 12:59 am
Hexy
High Emperor
High Emperor

Well, the MMORPG is still slowly growing, and it's no surprise that they would try to develop Fallout as an MMORPG. A good evolution for Fallout, if they can get rid of that pesky TB-system and so forth. The game had a pretty good theme/setting.
Although it is very possible that when the game is released it will drown in the sea of new MMORPGs.
Post Sat Jun 26, 2004 9:21 am
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land

Not a snowflake's chance in hell of making it to release, if indeed they ever actually start.
Post Sat Jun 26, 2004 10:57 am
Namirrha
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

It's funny and not-so-funny that I was speaking with an ex-BIS friend about MMORPGs and how devs viewed them at BIS/IPLY (in the good old days). And he sent me this link in an e-mail last night. Nightmare of nightmares. -_-

Can Fallout be beaten, burnt, and destroyed any further than it already has been? Fallout died the day Caen got his hands on it. Please leave its corpse alone.
Post Sat Jun 26, 2004 4:46 pm
Loveshot
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Worst news in years. I was really hoping for a Fallout game but not an MMORPG.

The main reason for my liking Fallout was that it gave you some options to be abit of a bastard, not likely going to happen in a MMO game.

But If they made it isometric and TB I would play it just for the fun of it. But as long as I cant work as a "female model" then they will not get my 14$ a month.
Post Sun Jun 27, 2004 11:29 pm
Dhruin

You won't have to make that decision. I doubt it will even start full production, let alone actually get released.
Post Mon Jun 28, 2004 10:08 am
MoonDragon
High Emperor
High Emperor

Mr. Caen should be beat on the head with a dead donkey penis. Repeatedly.

PS Appologies for this outburst.
Post Mon Jun 28, 2004 9:52 pm
Seth
Last Man Standing
Last Man Standing

Interplay is running on life-support for a very long time, and since they don’t have money for rent and utilities I almost can see the Grim Ripper pulling the plug shortly.

After they cancelled Fallout 3, (many people didn’t like the story, but for me the combination of universe and combat system was priceless)I wasn’t too thrilled to say the least. Of course there was a possibility that if that game would see daylight, it might suck, so in a way they prevented disappointed fan base. But I’m sure many copies would be sold (and I would be first in line) despite the shortcomings to its predecessors.

Nail in the coffin (for me) was cancelling BG3 or Dale-lands or whatever name from Forgotten Realms settings. After that I became extremely bitter man and I won’t shed a tear after they are gone. I just hope that the employees pick up their things and quickly find another job, hopefully in CRPG industry.
Post Wed Jun 30, 2004 11:01 pm
NeverDark
Village Leader
Village Leader

Well, theoretically, Fallout universe could make a perfect setting for an MMORPG. I remember like years ago I was discussing with a friend of mine how cool it would be to play Fallout together, or with a bunch of other buddies, or even live in it!

HOWEVER, I still consider MMORPG genre to be too immature to be able to sustain such universe in a proper way, without sinking into a deep black pit of mindless grind and plethora of other problems associated with contemporary MMORPGs (sorry for not naming more, I haven't had much exposure to MMORPGs, but what I saw from Anarchy Online and a few others - namely, THE GRIND - has told me much about the genre in general).

And who even spoke of this idea? Interplay? LOL - a bunch of zombies, they probably don't even have any real developers on staff anymore, only executives. Watch them go by the end of the summer, the latest.
Post Sat Jul 03, 2004 8:12 am
Gig
Southern Spirit
Southern Spirit

Interplay was forced to close by the state of California for non-payment of wages.
Post Sat Jul 03, 2004 2:57 pm
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

That story is a month old. It has been followed up on.

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

=Member of the Nonflamers Guild=
=Worshipper of the Written Word=
Post Mon Jul 05, 2004 4:59 pm
corwin
On the Razorblade of Life
On the Razorblade of Life

Hey, I have a wonderful idea!! Why don't they make a Fallout console game!! That should make tons of money and solve all their problems. What? They already did that? Oh dear, guess I'll just go back to my nursing home!!

I don't use Smileys, I use Emoticons!!

Post Mon Jul 05, 2004 11:17 pm