View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Divinity & Beyond Divinity

Author Thread
Aphazel
A Shadow of My Own Self
A Shadow of My Own Self

quote:
Originally posted by Myrthos
I think it was left click on the character portrait, but it also could be the TAB key. I can't check it here at work.

Both of them will give the same menu, but just to correct you right clicking on the portrait instead of left clicking left click will change leading character.

umm..how do you zoom?
Post Fri Mar 05, 2004 12:04 am
Myrthos
Spoiler of All Fun
Spoiler of All Fun

Yes ofcourse right clicking

The scrollin gcan be done with the scroll wheel on the mouse. I'm not sure about the keyboard shortcuts for it. I think it was the + and - key on the keypad, but it coul dhave been PgUp and PgDn also. Can't check it from where I am now.
...you won't have to unbookmark this site, we'll unbookmark you. - Val
Reports Myrthos for making me scared and humbled at the mere sight of his name - kayla
Post Fri Mar 05, 2004 10:00 am
corwin
On the Razorblade of Life

I've just dropped by the Larian Boards to offer my thoughts there on the voice acting!! Seems a few others agree with me.

I don't use Smileys, I use Emoticons!!

Post Fri Mar 05, 2004 10:42 am
the mighty stamar
High Emperor
High Emperor

Me too, not because its such a big deal to me.

But just because right now they are in beta testing. IF theres any chance they can get another actor to speak the main speaking part in the game.... well theyll be a hell of a lot better off.

Because lets be honest, the demo gave that actor a lot of lines, and he sucked in all of them. Odds are pretty good he sucks through a very long game and maybe they can pull something off....

Maybe not too but might as well throw them my 2c...
Post Fri Mar 05, 2004 12:21 pm
Aphazel
A Shadow of My Own Self
A Shadow of My Own Self

If they were to get a new voice actor on the DK the game's release date would problably be delayed But I also think they should have a bit voice on our own made Hero, not just a 'autch' when he/she get's hit. But the voices is to me the only negative thing I can find so far.
Post Fri Mar 05, 2004 12:49 pm
Aphazel
A Shadow of My Own Self
A Shadow of My Own Self

Looks like Larian themself is happy with the voices. Here's a quote from a Interwiev from JustRPG.

quote:
Swen: Kirill Pokrovsky, who composed the music for Divine Divinity, will create as well the soundtrack for Beyond Divinity. The voices for Divine Divinity have been done by an external studio, whereas for Beyond Divinity the voices have been done in-house and they are pretty cool. In Divine Divinity were only the dialogs for the main characters spoken. In Beyond Divinity (for the English version) all dialogs will be spoken. My favorite voiced character for now is the Death Knight
Post Fri Mar 05, 2004 1:09 pm
corwin

Oh dear, no wonder they are so pathetic. Well, when people don't buy the game because of the lousy voices, maybe they'll learn their lesson. Get professionals to do a professional job!! Heck, even decent amatures would be heaps better. Other than the voices, I think it's going to be good.

I don't use Smileys, I use Emoticons!!

Post Fri Mar 05, 2004 2:15 pm
Aphazel
A Shadow of My Own Self
A Shadow of My Own Self

Poor Larian. They've worked so hard to give us this game. And yes, beside the voices I think too this is gonna be a great game.
Post Fri Mar 05, 2004 2:34 pm
Rordog
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

Just played demo, most of it anyway. First off, voices are possibly the worst I have ever encountered. Did they employ Stephen Hawking for the death knight (no offense to Mr. Hawking). If people were upset at Diego’s voice in G2 then this game makes his voice sound like, well allot better. On the other hand it is nice that everything will be voice acted because reading line after line can get pretty boring. So credit has to be given for the attempt. Secondly why can't you simply click to attack? I realize you can, but it seems messed up because it doesn't work 70% of the time. Ctrl helps, but I like to be able to just click in a game like this and not have to worry about other buttons.
Unfortunately for Larian this game is more than likely off my list unless reviews say it is significantly better than DD. I didn't even finish DD (got to the final level and quit) because I simply lost interest. If the story didn't capture you (and it didn't) then there was nothing to compel you to continue. Visually the game was about as sophisticated as Diablo 2, which was made what 4 years prior? My biggest complaint about DD was that you were after one weapon (noble sword) and one armor set (dragon) and the chances of coming across anything better were slim. At least in Diablo 2 everyone's character was varied because they were outfitted differently. DD rocked Diablo 2 with its non-linear game play but aside from that, well that's it, there was nothing else.

Maybe I missed something with DD, but I did play about 95% of the game, so I don't think so. I'll try to stay open-minded if Beyond Divinity gets good reviews, but its predecessor left me with a sour taste in my mouth.
Sorry if I got off topic at all.
Later, rordog
Post Mon Mar 08, 2004 7:04 pm
Aphazel
A Shadow of My Own Self
A Shadow of My Own Self

quote:
Originally posted by Rordog
On the other hand it is nice that everything will be voice acted because reading line after line can get pretty boring. So credit has to be given for the attempt.

Yes, good said. We should all be grateful that Larian have given us voices through the whole game. And hopefully it won't be like in G2 that you hear the same voices on 20 different persons, including main characters voice.

quote:
Secondly why can't you simply click to attack? I realize you can, but it seems messed up because it doesn't work 70% of the time. Ctrl helps, but I like to be able to just click in a game like this and not have to worry about other buttons.

There have been talking about that it's difficult to hit the enemies with the mouse button in BD, I don't know if that's what you mean. I personally think it's much easier to simply press CTRL and the I can press all over the screen and I will attack it that way. But that's me.

quote:
Unfortunately for Larian this game is more than likely off my list unless reviews say it is significantly better than DD. I didn't even finish DD (got to the final level and quit) because I simply lost interest. If the story didn't capture you (and it didn't) then there was nothing to compel you to continue.

It's sad that you didn't like it. The game is great and you can do a lots of things. My big time favorite game But if you didn't like the first part too much you problably wouldn't like the Wastelands either. Larian had bad time and they had to rush through it, all that are is the land you see, and some abonded houses where there were supposed to be enemies hiding and more items. But unfortantly they didn't had the time to make it. (But still I must say that I liked it)

quote:
At least in Diablo 2 everyone's character was varied because they were outfitted differently.

If you mean that many of the armors looked the same when equipped I can agree on that. But looking at the demo it looks like the armor will have much more various looks.
Post Mon Mar 08, 2004 8:20 pm
Ammon777
Warrior for Heaven
Warrior for Heaven

I loved DD, but for some reason i cant stand BD. Makes me sad.

So i bought Gothic2 instead. woot!
Post Mon Mar 08, 2004 8:32 pm
Rordog
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

@ Aphazel
I did play the wastelands and crossed the swamp that hurts unless you ghost it over and I beat like 3 of the main dudes in each of their own little castle/dungeons. I guess DD just didn't click with me probably because I had just played gothic and nothing compares to that series. Also I was hoping it would consume me like Diablo 2 did (played through 5 characters all lvl70+). What I meant when I said that characters end up outfitted differently it Diablo was that the random and unique item generation made for characters that ended up using very different equipment. In DD it was all about the dragon armor and the noble sword, so the game lost the draw of building the uber character with the ultimate equipment because everyone had the same armor/weapon combo more or less.
All well just one game that I got for $15CAN so I can't really complain.
Later, Rordog
Post Tue Mar 09, 2004 1:30 am
Myrthos
Spoiler of All Fun
Spoiler of All Fun

I didn't think DD was about the items in it. But then again I didn't care much for Diablo. One of the reasons being that item hunting is not my cup of tea.
So I actually felt the lack of item hunting was a good part of DD.
...you won't have to unbookmark this site, we'll unbookmark you. - Val
Reports Myrthos for making me scared and humbled at the mere sight of his name - kayla

Last edited by Myrthos on Tue Mar 09, 2004 9:58 am; edited 1 time in total
Post Tue Mar 09, 2004 9:54 am
the mighty stamar
High Emperor
High Emperor

WEll I loved divine divinity. It took me Im thinking about 80 hours to complete.
Just a huge amount of content and things to do. Its huge, theres lots of stuff.

I didnt dig the ending too much, the final dungeon. But it didnt ruin it for me. I took it as an in game challenge, and I basically started running past all the monsters. Nothing that says you have to kill them all.

I didnt dig josephina at all I had to cheat.

All the items in Divine divinity were unique. The dragon armor was always different. Actually so far as I recall, it was just like Diablo, only each item was more unique. More different effects and stats. So I contradict you on that certainly.

If you are looking for more Diablo, I think Sacred is pretty similar to diablo based on the demo. It seems each monster drops random loot on the ground in diablo fashion... You can play multiplayer up to 16 players ( although german release multiplayer is still bugged) and so far as I can tell you will get to level 70 and up. Respawning things to kill and power character building, seems to be what youre after.

DD was a long computer role playing game with quests and conversations and puzzles. and it also had some of that diablo stuff in it also.

Im really looking forward to this one when it gets to the us.
Post Tue Mar 09, 2004 9:55 am
Rordog
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

Yes I understand that there were more stat modifiers on the equipment, but it was all about the one item. Sure you could do reloads until your computer becomes outdated trying to get the perfect set of modifiers, but I would be shocked if many people said they used armor other that the dragon or the larian hidden armor. So you are right in some sense but so am I because every character ended up being equiped more or less the same, just with different stats on the equipment. I don't know if that makes sense, but I guess I just wanted more unique equipment to choose from in this style of game.
I have also played the sacred demo and I agree that that is more to my liking. It seems to be more Diablo based in style, but it is hopefully a whole lot less linear than its forefather. Although the gladiator looks like a homo (no offense to the homos of the world).
Later, rordog
Post Tue Mar 09, 2004 7:23 pm

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next