A report on Might and Magic 9..
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > CRPGs General

Author Thread
Maylander
High Emperor
High Emperor

Graphic:
Not very good compared to Gothic, but a huge improvement in the world of MM, and therefore it gives you a "special MM feeling".

Gameplay:
Same as always; it is easy to move around, talk and attack. Your opponents are small and weak in the beginning, and you should be able to kill them rather easy if you have the bow skill.

Skills:
You have a lot of "new" skills:
Instead of sword and axe, you now have "blade".
Instead of spear you now have "polearm".
You also have the regular skills such as disarm trap, identify, identify monster, and repair item. Another thing is that instead of different armors(leather, chain and plate), you now only have "plate" but you need to be a certain kind of warrior with a certain skill to use the different armors such as platearmor.

Story:
You continue the story where HoMM4(I've played it a bit), and you meet familiar faces such as Nicolai Ironfist talking about his father, and the things that has happened in the latest years.
A great story is continuing, and it is worth the game alone in my opinion.

All in all a great game, but it takes time to get used to, and to get into the "MM-mood". I think all MM-fans will enjoy this game, but I don't think it will win many new fans(perhaps some, but not many).

If you have any questions, just ask.

Post Thu Mar 28, 2002 1:23 am
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

An excellent writeup. Thanks for the info! I am curious how your party is developing. Even though there's only 2 starting classes, is your party growing (via experience and promos)into the
classic "tank/thief/healer/mage" mold, or something else?

Things really perked up at the 3DO board after you posted that you had the game, didn't they?

By the way, not having the game yet sucks!
Post Thu Mar 28, 2002 1:50 am
Joey Nipps
Orcan High Command
Orcan High Command

Friday is not far off.

Post Thu Mar 28, 2002 2:10 am
Maylander
High Emperor
High Emperor

Oh yeah, sure did, hehehe. How did you know that by the way? Been there lately?

Well, the party developes by doing promotion quests like in MM7, and you first do one quest(turning a fighter into a mercenary or a crusader, and the an initiate into a healer or mage - I think).

After that you choose the good/evil path, and then a you can end up with Gladiators, Paladins and so on, or Liches and Assassins.

Fighters do the thieving as well as fighting, because the mercenary is the one able to become the assassin.

Post Thu Mar 28, 2002 2:23 am
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

I signed up on the 3DO boards 4 or 5 days ago. I didn't see anything about MM9, so I didn't do any posting (and still haven't, for that matter). Once Michael C from here posted some questions over there, I figured my job was done for me. I've continued to lurk occasionally.

Now, if the second promo is controlled by dark/light, then that means there's only 4 class choices for a developed (and aligned either dark/light) party, right?
Post Thu Mar 28, 2002 4:45 am
Maylander
High Emperor
High Emperor

On the first promotion you have 4 choices, and on the next promotion you also have 4 choices(I don't think the whole thing is divided into light/dark).

I haven't played to the second promotion yet, so I'm not sure.
Post Thu Mar 28, 2002 4:51 am
Decado
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Considering that the character development system is easily my favorite thing about the series, I think I'll stear clear for awhile. Seems like they've dumbed it down noticeably (but perhaps not significantly).
Post Thu Mar 28, 2002 5:06 am

quote:

If you have any questions, just ask.

Did you complete the clear out anskram keep quest? And how? I'm beginning to suspect a script bug which is preventing continuing the main plot. So I'll have to restart MM9, since I don't have good save games.
Post Thu Mar 28, 2002 1:33 pm

bearcub
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Their has been rumors that creatures come back every time you enter a zone. Is this true or not?
Post Thu Mar 28, 2002 3:23 pm
Maylander
High Emperor
High Emperor

Anonymous: Yes, I cleared it out. You have to enter at the top of the keep. Go up in the towers, and then you will see a door. This door will not open, but you can follow the wall, and then come to a door on the back. Go in there, and kill everything + the portals.

No, things don't respawn every time you enter a zone, but they respawn a lot quicker than in the other MM's(don't know the exact time it takes).
Post Thu Mar 28, 2002 10:26 pm
Max Killen
Exalted Potentate
Exalted Potentate

How about flying, I also thought it was cool in MM the way you could fly.
You haven't mentioned if it is worth the money.
Post Fri Mar 29, 2002 12:49 am
Maylander
High Emperor
High Emperor

Don't know about flying or town portal. I sure haven't found either one of the spells yet, but they may be there.

Worth the money? If you are a Might and Magic fan it is worth the money, but if you never liked the series, you won't like it now.
Post Fri Mar 29, 2002 2:49 am
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

I have information that there is town portal spell but only experts in some realm can learn it!
Post Fri Mar 29, 2002 6:32 am
Moriendor
Black Ring Leader
Black Ring Leader

Question: I reckon it may be a good idea to create a party of 2 spell casters (magic) and 2 warriors (might). Regarding the magic types, is there a problem if one of them pursues light magic and the other one dark magic? Will they get along? Or will they start making stupid remarks about the other and eventually want to go separate ways (like in BG)?
Post Fri Mar 29, 2002 11:16 am
Joey Nipps
Orcan High Command
Orcan High Command

Maylander, can you tell if they have balanced it so a party of pure fighters can finish the game or have they made it so you MUST use magic? I really like games that have it balanced well enough so you can finish with either type and are NOT forced to use magic.

Post Fri Mar 29, 2002 2:13 pm

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next