Usergroups
Where do you live?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Absolutely Off Topic

Author Thread
Korplem
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

I live in the the great state of confusion. (At least thats what we used to say in boot camp.)

Connecticut is nice. I haven't had much of a chance to see it since by the time I can go out on liberty it's already dark. But the area around the base is very beautiful. It'll take a while to get used to the fact that it still rains in December though.

-The Prince of Nothing
Post Thu Dec 02, 2004 10:01 pm
the friend
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I live in Germany, Sundern! I like my hometown ! But the holidays I enjoy,too! But sometimes I want to be in England because I like the language! Can anyone speak German?
Post Wed Dec 15, 2004 8:56 pm
corwin
On the Razorblade of Life
On the Razorblade of Life

A large number of people, including most of the admins are native speakers of German. You will have no problems here, they are all very helpful. Germany and Austria are two of my favourite countries to visit, but unfortunately, I don't speak a word of the language. You have the best beer in the world!!

I don't use Smileys, I use Emoticons!!

Post Wed Dec 15, 2004 10:38 pm
DzD
Unknown
Unknown

Can anyone speak German? Perhaps you should ask if anyone does not speak german? Still, it's an international forum so there are less german-speaking people here then at german-only forum.

Where do I live? In madness... Except the occasional rape, stabbing, drinking and drugging (nice non-word), destruction of the governments property, destruction of private property, scandals, scribble, violence, long waiting times to anything, high prices, crappy politicians, criminals escaping prisons right through the door more then on time, the constant squabbling among our non-effective politicians, our energy supply running short, the constant racism, bad schools, increased weight on our elder-hospitals (no idea what it is in english), increased depressions and suicides and other bad stuff, in the last year or so two dead babies have been found, wrapped in plastic-bags, in two different tunnels.

It's not really as bad it sounds considering crimes, alcohol, drugs and murders are much more common in other European countries. All bad things just seems to be concentrated around me and where I live. Life sucks, I'm used to it.
His latest, a hit
Cuz the Little One's a mystery to me

Written by - dteowner
Post Wed Dec 15, 2004 11:18 pm
xSamhainx
Paws of Doom
Paws of Doom

Geez, sounds like you need to find somewhere new to live, DZD.

I might as well join the convo ='.'=

A small town on the eastern outskirts of the big town of San Diego southern California. Normally the land of fruits and nuts, but not so much here in my town, all the wackos tend to gravitate towards downtown San Diego and LA or San Fran. We may have a car break-in occasionally or something, but I cant remember the last time anyone was shot or killed around here, yet alot of us are armed to the teeth

Ive moved away thrice, but always ended up back here, not out of necessity but because I just love it. Some would say it's one of the more rural areas of East County. Lots of memories here, and it's just familiar, every inch of this town is familiar to me. Ive walked, run , skateboarded, bicycled, driven my first car, and my first new car down these streets. To some people familiarity breeds contempt, or they get tired of the same thing. Not me, I love it!

I love the man-made lake and park in the middle of town, I remember sneaking out to go "smoke out" there as a teen, and I still will walk down there to clear my mind if im upset or something. Alot of civic events go down there, always something going on the weekend at the park. There was major dog show or convention or something there last weekend, it was quite noisy!

I couldnt sleep a few weeks ago, and went down to a restaraunt the next city over at like 4 am that I havent been to in years, where my Mom once worked as a waitress, and I also had my first real job as a busboy. Ol' Trish was still working there, must be literally 20 years now, unbelieveable, she'll work there til the day she dies I bet. We arent small town, but were small-enough towns here in East County of San Diego region. We got the local parades with all the old geezers in their old cars, the local Scout troops, beauty pageant and prom queens riding by waving in the convertibles, old vets, etc. Lots of flags, lots of pride. Yeah, its sorta corny, and I'll get ticked off when the streets get all blocked off for one of the parades, and I gotta drive somewhere. Then I walk on down there myself and watch, and see all the familiar faces yet again, and I just end up totally loving it and wondering why I didnt think to show up this year and watch.

It's strange, this town keeps expanding ever so slightly, but it's still a small town in spirit and I think it always will be. It's just a unique place to live, I cant quite explain it, but it's like downshifting to 2nd gear entering it. I just feel at peace here.

Women riding their horses down the street among palm trees, it's something else indeed, this town. Cheapest place to live as well, my bro lives in San Diego proper and he plays like 1,2oo.oo a month. I'm payin 65o.oo here, and my place is bigger than his!

Surrounded by mountains, yet the sea is 20 mins away, the scenery here is unbelievable. I remember my drive to work after moving back from texas, and thinking that the view as I drive every day to work is worth moving in itself.
“Then away out in the woods I heard that kind of a sound that a ghost makes when it wants to tell about something that's on its mind and can't make itself understood, and so can't rest easy in its grave, and has to go about that way every night grieving.”-Mark Twain
Post Thu Dec 16, 2004 5:22 am
Bytespawn
Tempered Warlord
Tempered Warlord

As Bartacus, i also live in Belgium, Flanders.
I live in a village with about 1500 inhabitants, Reningelst. We have a house that stands alone, not built against another house. The street i live in is a dead ending street, with a potato field at the end. That is another one of the curious things of our region: fields, over 80% of the landscape is covered with fields, some potato, some corn, some wheat. Some hop http://www.strandbrewers.org/reviews/hoptour1.jpg
Our region, Poperinge, is known for cultivating hop, and is a very unusual and curious way of cultivating. Basically its just a lot of poles with the hop growing around it... but you can see that on the picture. Poperinge, the 'town' where i go to school has about 18.000 inhabitants. Its 4 miles from Reningelst.
I like my region for the calmth, yet there isnt anything spectaculair here, our region is very very flat. You can see some hills of about 50-100 metres above sealevel, thats all. Its not a warm region, but we have one advantage, we live 30 miles from the beach! So on sunny days, when everyone would go to the beach, Bartacus would have trouble using the highway (belgium has the closest network of roads in the world) being stuck in a traffic jam, we can simply use smaller roads and not have any trouble at all!
But another thing that is very typical for our region: a sad thing actually, are gravestones, we have 1 churchyard and 2 graveyards in our village only!!
The WW1 military cemeteries: thousands of soldiers buried here, when i go to school i pass three cemeteries. this is Reningelst New Military Cemetery http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~dccfarr/ren.jpg
Poperinge old military cemetery
http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~dccfarr/popold.jpg
Lijsenthoek: In addition to 9,658 French soldiers, there are 7,305 U.K., 1,128 Australian, 1,051 Canadian, 291 New Zealanders, 28 South African, 22 British West Indies, 5 Newfoundlanders, 2 Indians, 32 Chinese Labour Corps, and 223 German soldiers buried here, along with 3 unknowns.
http://www.harboro.ndirect.co.uk/images/Img0017.JPG
Post Sat Dec 25, 2004 10:23 pm
Bartacus
Il Buono
Il Buono

Funny, that's the first time I understanded someone from 'de Vloanders'. (Although we live in a small country, the local dialects are very different of one another.)

About the costal traffic jams "Den Expressweg Antwerpen - Knokke" is quite OK. And you have to know when you should go offcourse. (Don't forget I don't have to go to school anymore. -> I can go whenever (?) I want.)
NFG member
Post Thu Dec 30, 2004 10:45 pm
Bytespawn
Tempered Warlord
Tempered Warlord

again its someone from antwerpen who claims our dialect is understandable, but it is in fact a great dialect!!! the best dialect knwn to men, we even form the word 'yes' and no

1p s 2p s 3p s (m) 3p s(f) 1p p 2p p 3p p
joanc joaj joan joas jom joaj joans (yes) dutch: ja
nenc nej nen nèès nem nej nens (no) dutch: nee
Post Tue Jan 04, 2005 8:22 pm
Edda
Village Leader
Village Leader

Bytespawn, when I think about the cemeteries ... I hope, you don't dislike the Germans too much, I know that we are not very popular in your country. It's painful sometimes to think about parts of our past.
Post Thu Jan 06, 2005 4:05 pm
Seldon
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I live in Poland, a strange country of many strange poeple .
Krakow is quite big city (over 700 000). Nice place to live... obviously there are some ...'disadvantages', but I don't compain . Medieval castle and a lot of universities situated in downtown cause it's one of the the most interesting places to live in this country. Krakow is one of polish tourist centres. Museums and monuments are located all around the city.
Poland is country governed by religious fanatics and dishonest politics but many really wonderful (but usually not very rich) poeple live here.
Crime rates , prices and taxes are high and salaries are low and probably it's going to stay this way for next 20 years . But who knows , maybe some day it will change.
Post Fri Jan 07, 2005 6:33 pm
Bytespawn
Tempered Warlord
Tempered Warlord

quote:
Originally posted by Edda
Bytespawn, when I think about the cemeteries ... I hope, you don't dislike the Germans too much, I know that we are not very popular in your country. It's painful sometimes to think about parts of our past. :oops

I have nothing against the germans nor their country, when i go to Germany or see a german i NEVER connect it with any of the world wars. Ofcourse i know thousands of men died for no reason, but those things are still going on nowadays, look at the useless iraq war, and all other conflicts that are going on now. It is fascinating to know one country could almost stand against the whole world! I always see wars like this: the winning side always becomes the 'good' side, the losing side becomes 'evil', 'not good', right out of hell! Look at WW2, WW1, the cold war, Communism, Nazism, they're all 'evil', Cuba is an 'evil' country, the people probably skin their babys and eat their bones over there!
I dont think ANY of that!! This is pure propaganda told by the winning 'good' side, and everybody listens to this and is happy just because the 'good side' liberated them from the 'evil' opression!
Post Sat Jan 08, 2005 11:18 am
Seldon
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

quote:
Originally posted by Bytespawn

This is pure propaganda told by the winning 'good' side, and everybody listens to this and is happy just because the 'good side' liberated them from the 'evil' opression!

Not really. This is pure history. But the truth is that we all should think about the future. We should remember about the past , but not at cost of our present and future good relations. History is a lesson , which shows us great mistakes and tragedies of the past. We should learn how to avoid them in the future.
Post Sat Jan 08, 2005 11:30 am
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

@Bytespawn: Please don't tell me that you subscribe to the theory that the Holocaust never happened. What the Nazis did was evil. The wholesale slaughter of millions of people just because they are Jews is evil.
Do I blame modern day Germans for what a bunch of nutcases did 60+ years ago? No! The people responsible for those hideous acts are dead and gone. But we should try to remember the lessons of history, and prevent such things akin to that from happening again instead of letting the situation spiral dangerously out of control.

And now we're getting off-topic. Pinnen and Lintra would be proud.
Post Sun Jan 09, 2005 3:07 am
Bytespawn
Tempered Warlord
Tempered Warlord

ofcourse i know murdering all those jews is an evil thing, but i wasnt specificly talking about that, killing the jews wasnt a goal, it was a way of Hitler to get the people on his side (the jews had lots of money back then, while the people were poor) the true goal of the nazis was even different than that of Hitler, never forget he used germany for his fanatic goals, Hitler is bad, Germany isnt, and OK i have to admit nazis were (are) not good, even evil, i see that every day when i go to school or ride my bike here in the 'westhoek'. But Cuba remains my favorite country, and we are getting seriously off topic (well, its the off topic forum after all)
Post Sun Jan 09, 2005 10:42 am
Neo_Genesis
The Assassin
The Assassin

well, Bytespawn, I am your neighbour, and part of the Benelux
I live in the Netherlands, in the province Noord-Holland.
I live in a village, called Huizen. although we are a village, we have enough population for a city. because our village counts over 40.000 people. the only reason why were are still a village is because we don't have city rights.
Post Sun Jan 09, 2005 4:11 pm

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next