The Outsider?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic - Spoilers, Tips & Tricks

Author Thread
Harkurian
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

The Outsider?

I've played through Gothic about twice now, quite thoroughly. In each instance I have never really been confused enough over any given issue that I lose sleep over it, usually because I figure it out in short order. The only remaining thing that perplexes me, though, is the man you see standing outside the barrier where you were first thrown in. I'd gone back in chapter 5 up to glean some XP from Orry and company, and was making a last check of the grounds when I noticed a figure on the platform on the cliff. I couldn't get close enough to talk to him, all that passed between us by way of conversation was a wave from the Outsider when I tried to hail him. The Barrier prevents any sort of interaction with this guy, but he is very definitely a fully functional NPC; I occupied him in Marvin-Mode, but I was propmtly lit up with blue flame and lightning spikes from the irritatingly amorous Barrier. I gave up on trying to get him inside the Colony and reloaded my game none the wiser for his purpose. He's wearing what appears to be a medium guard's armor, but the predominant color of his garb is yellow, not red like that of the soldiers in Gomez' employ. I haven't given him much thought for a while, but it's starting to piss me off. Is there a reason why he's there, or is he just some sort of unbelievably frustrating eye candy? Or am I just really, really stoned? Anyone have input on who/what he is?
Post Fri Apr 09, 2004 7:48 pm
Uocjat
High Emperor
High Emperor

weird .. never ran into that guy before .. where did you say he was ?i migth wanna check it out
Post Fri Apr 09, 2004 7:59 pm
Harkurian
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

outsider

He showed up in Chapter 5. I didn't see him anymore after I had been into the Sleeper's Temple, but when he was there he was up on the wooden platform with the 'supplies' on it, on the cliff where you're thrown in at the beginning.

I don't know if it's relevant, but I'm running a patched version of Gothic courtesy of WorldOfGothic.de. It was meant to fix an object glitch where stuff floated in the air - which it did - I'm not sure if the coders would bother to insert something like Mr. X though. Just a thought. I'm too lazy to check
Post Fri Apr 09, 2004 8:23 pm
Harkurian
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I'd be happy to post screenshots if you good people would tell me how.
Post Fri Apr 09, 2004 8:24 pm
Uocjat
High Emperor
High Emperor

well if you got a screenshot key on your key bord then hold shif and press the screenshot key .. its normaly somehwere around the insert and end .. home keys and such ..

then go back to windows and open a painting proggran and press ctrl+v and then save the pick
Post Fri Apr 09, 2004 8:29 pm
Uocjat
High Emperor
High Emperor

by the way are you playing the engligh or the german version ? and it would be cool if you somehow could send a savegame .. hmm
Post Fri Apr 09, 2004 8:31 pm
Harkurian
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I'm playing the English version . . . and yes, it would kick ass if I could put up a savegame but I haven't got a clue as to how to post a file like that -
Is it something I can just copy out of the folder and post like any other file? I haven't tried before but it sounds feasible.

If this doesn't bear fruit don't tear your hair out or anything, I remember getting unbelievably pissed back when Nellik's sword was a popular topic on the forum. Arrrgh. Those bastards stole a week of my life
I hate bullshit. But anyway, I'll try to post it and give you guys a url asap.
Post Fri Apr 09, 2004 8:42 pm
Uocjat
High Emperor
High Emperor

great ..
well if you makeing a link here to a homepage of your own then its pretty simple to put up a file .. just make a link to the file on you site when its on the server ..

hmm and who knows .. mayne this guy is nellik ?? maybe it was all true anyway ...

but then again i dont think so
Post Fri Apr 09, 2004 8:45 pm
MageofFire
Griller of Molerats

If you want to get him into the Barrier, you'll need to posess him, face the direction you want to go, and then press "k". This way you should be able to get him into the Barrier.
Awhile back, I was messing around with Gothic insert codes, and I inserted this weird armor. It sounds just like the armor you describe him wearing.

Mediocreties, I absolve you!
Post Fri Apr 09, 2004 8:53 pm
Uocjat
High Emperor
High Emperor

yeah i've always been woundering what that armor was doing in the game the insert code would be grd_armor_I as far as i remember .. royal guards armor
Post Fri Apr 09, 2004 9:22 pm
Harkurian
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

!

Thanks . . . that's an odd thought. But then, the presence of a Royal Guard is certainly more likely than someone from the Colony getting outside the barrier. I'm going to go check next chance I get but were King Rhotbar's bitches wearing yellow uniforms in the beginning (cutscene w/judge, guards + mage)? If so that would definitely confirm what I'm being told about the armor. Still. This is weird. And I don't get why he's there, which is really what bugs me . . . oh well. I'll post some screenshots tomorrow so we can all wonder together
Post Fri Apr 09, 2004 11:02 pm
Graham 2
High Emperor
High Emperor

Can you try shooting him with a bow and arrow, then It would highlight him and you could see what he is called.
Post Fri Apr 09, 2004 11:27 pm
Drake14
Brigadier General

it's the man wearing tan robes, if so then he is probably the guy who reads you your crimes in the intro to the game
Post Sat Apr 10, 2004 2:33 am
MageofFire
Griller of Molerats

@Drake14- He described the man as wearing armor similar to Guard's armor. The Judge's robes are not in any way similar to Guard's armor, so I don't think that guy is the Judge.

Mediocreties, I absolve you!
Post Sat Apr 10, 2004 6:20 am
Joeman
Protector of the Realm
Protector of the Realm

I reloaded one of my game in chapter 5 and right now I am standing right there, but I can't find a way to get a clear view on what's on top of platform. Right now I don't think anyone is up there. Even if someone is up there, there is no way I can get close enough to hail him. Where exactly do you stand to see the guy?
Post Sat Apr 10, 2004 7:20 am

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next