Usergroups
What a DISSAPOINTMENT!
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Knights of the Old Republic

Author Thread
crazeejay629
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Haha well there you go. Thats yer opinion. To each his own. It's not like I work for LucasArts/bioware or anything. I just dont like seeing all the bashing theyre getting. Like I said, mods exist for a reason. =)
Post Thu Jan 08, 2004 4:09 am
the mighty stamar
High Emperor
High Emperor

Weird, it vastly exceeded my expectations.

Because its a console game it has disadvantages compared to a pc made game such as gothic 2. Not to get technical, but those are there, they are in the interface and in the small size of screens. I do feel these things are weaknesses compared to a made for PC game that can be made for a machine with 512 mb not 64 mb xbox.

It is also made for an age group much younger than I, in testing Im sure 10 year olds were used and they had to complete it. Because that is who owns x boxs.

These things considered, I expected it to suck.
I wanted it to be bad. I wanted the evil empire companies of microsoft and lucas arts, as well as mainstream game maker bioware to make something I didnt like. Because Im not a mainstream game player at all, I like the weird stuff like planescape torment was, or gothic.

I wanted former BIS employees Troika to make a brilliant game for me....

But actually KOTOR is brilliant and TOEE was mediocre. The content in it has to rank among the best games ever.

So anyhow what am I ranting about? I wanted to be disapointed in KOTOR and it didnt give me an opportunity. I have to recomend it to everyone its super.
Post Mon Jan 12, 2004 10:00 am
Ican
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

In that case Stamar .... the game was a disappointment for you too .

You were disappointed that it was ....good !

I hate Star Wars personally, but I still rate the game highly. Another "disappointed" customer
Post Mon Jan 12, 2004 7:00 pm
SilkenKidden
Tempered Warlord
Tempered Warlord

Re: What a DISSAPOINTMENT!

quote:
Originally posted by servii
What a DISSAPOINTMENT! It’s a shame such a game is Best RPG of the Year! What do we have here is very good marketing and advertisements combined with limitless exploit of the SW license. Poor graphic, absolute lack of freedom, “User-enemy” interface, old fashion quests “go, find, kill, bring”, unfortunately my English is not good enough to express the bitter taste after playing the game. (just 3 planets, couldn’t anymore) Qvo Vadis, BioWare?

You may be right. I'll never know. I'm not buying or trying the game because there is no way to remap the movement keys. I guess that is what you mean by "User-enemy" interface
Post Wed Jan 14, 2004 12:59 am
corwin
On the Razorblade of Life

A very limited perspective IMO. You'd miss out on an exceptional game just because you can't re-map the arrow keys!!!!! Good grief, did you ever play the original Gothic?

I don't use Smileys, I use Emoticons!!

Post Wed Jan 14, 2004 1:51 am
deiland
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

I loved KOTR!! I tried to wait for the PC version, but all the good reviews made me get the XBOX version and it was a blast. The voice overs were the best Iv'e seen in a game. Maybe when the PC version is cheap, I will try it to see the additional Planet. My next RPG will be Baldurs Gate - Dark Alliance 2 It would be a shame for someone to miss out on this great game because they cant remap the arrow keys.
Post Wed Jan 14, 2004 2:19 am
Chekote
Where’s my Banana?!?!
Where’s my Banana?!?!

I didnt like KOTOR one bit. I bought it pretty much as soon as it came out on the XBox and I was just bored almost instantly.

I am not bashing the game here so dont come back with flames etc, just putting in my oppinion.

Admittedly, I didnt give it much of a chance, I just got off the ship and walked around the town a little, but here are my observations from my limited experience:

1. Game world is very static and sterile feeling. Nothing to interact with apart from chests.
2. Fighting is very dull, no real sense of actually fighting for your life
3. Characters did not interest me very much.

In fact, come to think of it. I dont like this game for all the same reasons that I dont like the Baldurs gate series. Which also explains why the majority of people have the opposite oppinion to me, since everyone else loved Baldurs gate aswell.
Post Wed Jan 14, 2004 2:46 am
corwin

You certainly didn't give this game much of a chance. The characters get VERY interesting and eventually, the combat does too. The game starts a little slowly, but it soon becomes quite addictive. There aren't many games I play twice, but this was one of them.

Post Wed Jan 14, 2004 4:23 am
cwey
Village Leader
Village Leader

Yeah Taris, the beggining planet can be a bored. But it gets better. Hmm what RPG games do you like, if any? Maybe you just do not like the RPG genre of games.
Post Wed Jan 14, 2004 9:10 am
Lord_Brownie
High Emperor
High Emperor

The character development with the NPCs is some of the most dept of story telling in a CRPG i've seen. Combat and world interaction is simplistic, but I felt that strenghts far out wieghed these neagatives. While the starting planet was dull, by the time I got to the thrid planet as a jedi I was hooked on this game, and as soon as I can wrestle it back form my wife I'll play it again.
LB
Post Wed Jan 14, 2004 9:59 am
Chekote
Where’s my Banana?!?!
Where’s my Banana?!?!

quote:
Originally posted by cwey
Yeah Taris, the beggining planet can be a bored. But it gets better. Hmm what RPG games do you like, if any? Maybe you just do not like the RPG genre of games.

Not sure if this was a question for me but I'm gonna answer it anyway.

RPG's are my favourite game genre. Here are some of the ones I like with an approximate rating.

PlaneScape: Torment *****
    Gothic Series ****
    Wizardry 8 ***
    Lands of Lore Series ***
    Final Fantasy Series ****
    Secret of Mana *****
    Chrono Trigger *****
    Chrono Cross ****
    Xenosaga ****

There are lots more but you get the idea.
Post Wed Jan 14, 2004 2:28 pm
corwin

Interesting. Your top 3 are all games I played twice; just like KoTOR!! Is there a message there somewhere!!

Post Wed Jan 14, 2004 11:28 pm
SilkenKidden
Tempered Warlord
Tempered Warlord

quote:
Originally posted by corwin
A very limited perspective IMO. You'd miss out on an exceptional game just because you can't re-map the arrow keys!!!!! Good grief, did you ever play the original Gothic?

Yes, I played Gothic 1. I remapped the keys in that too.

I simply cannot work with the WASD keys. No way. But I've found that you can use the mouse for movement in KOTOR and they will put in a mapping feature next patch. So I will try the game.
Post Wed Jan 14, 2004 11:54 pm
crazeejay629
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

oh yea? well kotor doesnt like you too. =P

Chekote (Im not flaming you, this is also an opinion.)

The Xbox version has limited graphics, you shouldve gotten the PC Version. I have a Nvidia FX 5200 128MB on my PC and that's basically enough to play any game out today. The game looks pretty amazing. It catches all the complex details and whatnots that the Xbox simply cannot.

About the game being boring, hehe it's not. Im not much of a star wars fan, nor do I understand much of it. Also, I am not a Baldur's gate fan. I like the game because of how much freedom you have with your character. You can customize him and unlike some of the old games where equipped items do not show on the character, this one simply does, and that's pretty amazing to me really.

- 1280x1024 support
- dialog skipping bug fix
- various gameplay fixes

When I learned that you cant map the arrow keys the first time I played this, I just used the Home, Delete, End, and PageDown keys instead because theyre the closest thing to the arrow keys. But since you have to hold the right mouse button for the cursor to appear, I just use the mouse for movement- hold leftMB to move forward and move mouse to change direction, and hold rightMB for the cursor to appear. Yea thats my gameplay.

I know I can disable the option for holding the RMB or CTRL for the cursor to appear, but I like holding the left mouse button for movement and using the mouse to change direction. If I disable the option, I'd have to use the mouse movement for moving the camera instead, not the direction the character is going towards. Those of you who have played KOTOR and messed with the interface know what im saying...hopefully.

Other than that, this game is really fun. I want to try Star Wars Galaxies because Im used to playing multiplayer games (MoHAA, CoD, WC:FT) but Im not sure if many people play it online or if it is worth playing. Before I bought KoTOR I thought it would be terrible but I really like this game. Maybe I'll like Galaxies too.
Post Mon Jan 19, 2004 9:41 pm
yonderboy
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Okay... wait wait wait, I must check to see if this is what I read right.

You complain about the "Poor graphic, absolute lack of freedom, “User-enemy” interface, old fashion quests “go, find, kill, bring" of KOTOR (which obviously only has THREE planets) and give Baldur's Gate as a example of a GREAT RPG?

I loved BG2, but it was just as story-intensive as KOTOR, and the missions were just as "go, find, kill, bring" as KOTOR. I'll give you this one concession - the beginning of KOTOR (the first of THREE planets, Taris) is by far the weakest part of the game, which is a shame because it turns off all those impatient players. It would be like labeling BG2 as a crappy game before you even break out of the prison area.
Post Mon Feb 16, 2004 8:28 am

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3