Disk access is minimal. It's just REALLY jerky
Post Fri Jun 13, 2003 1:45 am
Lysander
Protector of the Realm
Protector of the Realm

bigkabuto&Mr.Teatime:
How well do other games run?

Mr. Teatime:
It's hard to diagnose problems like this on a message board. Try what I told bigkabuto. Also, it might help to reboot right before playing, if you're not doing that already.

Also check your BOIS settings. When I first got my new computer, (2.53ghz, Geforce4 Ti4600, 512mb RDRAM [a year ago]), I was getting terrible performance, so I disabled some stuff in the BIOS and that fixed it.
Post Fri Jun 13, 2003 2:24 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Again, make sure the RadeonHack is _disabled_. There are confirmed cases of correct performance on 3 GHz Radeon 9700 machines on the German boards.
Post Fri Jun 13, 2003 2:58 pm
bigkabuto
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
Originally posted by Lysander
bigkabuto&Mr.Teatime:
How well do other games run?

Mr. Teatime:
It's hard to diagnose problems like this on a message board. Try what I told bigkabuto. Also, it might help to reboot right before playing, if you're not doing that already.

Also check your BOIS settings. When I first got my new computer, (2.53ghz, Geforce4 Ti4600, 512mb RDRAM [a year ago]), I was getting terrible performance, so I disabled some stuff in the BIOS and that fixed it.

It's great all the help we get here, it might not fix it right away, but the helping is always great..anyway...

you mean i should reboot the right when i'm about to play gothic2?
Yeah i know the bios....lately i've been formatting my pc, and i put the bios settings at optimised defaults...do you happen to know a site which explains what features in the bios cause bad performance? or do you maybe know it yourself?

-Guru,Gang Starr |Skills|
Post Fri Jun 13, 2003 5:53 pm
Mr. Teatime
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

There is definately something wierd going on here. First of all, cloud shadows are ALWAYS off when I load up the game - I have to go into the options menu, into the extended configuration (where cloud shadows are set on ON even though they're not working) then go back out to the main game, then they will turn on. It also seems performance degrades the more you play, I just loaded up now and it was reasonably smooth, this happened last night and performance got worse after about 5 minutes of playing (though 'reasonably smooth' still means quite jerky). Other games like Unreal 2 are all smooth at maximum settings.
Post Fri Jun 13, 2003 6:54 pm
Ragnar
High Emperor
High Emperor

It sounds like the problem is game specific. I’m running G2 (German ver. soon to be US ver.) on a AMD 1.2 TBird, 64mb GF4Ti4200, 512mb 333DDR, ATA-133 7200rpm drive system and though I cut back on some of the graphic settings in the .ini file it run fine. It is a little choppy in the city though. I also have Unreal 2 (kick-ass game) and it runs smooth as silk on my system with everything maxed out in 1024x768. I would try uninstalling the game and re-installing it and then edit the .ini for you specific system. The only thing I really had to do was turn on the GForce hack to stop the flickering.

Sylvio
Post Fri Jun 13, 2003 7:35 pm
Kiwi Boy
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
Originally posted by Ragnar
... then edit the .ini for you specific system. The only thing I really had to do was turn on the GForce hack to stop the flickering.

Agreed. If you have a GeForce card, try editing the following entry at Gothic.ini file:
code:
geforce3HackWBufferBug=1

If you have a Radeon card, try editing the following entry:
code:
zSyncAmbientCol=1
radeonHackAmbientColBug=1

Post Fri Jun 13, 2003 8:13 pm
bigkabuto
High Emperor
High Emperor

So it should be changed to "1" that geforcehack?

Oh and IMO , Unreal2 was a huge dissapointment

-Guru,Gang Starr |Skills|
Post Fri Jun 13, 2003 8:31 pm
Mr. Teatime
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Agreed. If you have a GeForce card, try editing the following entry at Gothic.ini file:
code:
geforce3HackWBufferBug=1

If you have a Radeon card, try editing the following entry:
code:
zSyncAmbientCol=1
radeonHackAmbientColBug=1

[/quote]

Changing to those values made my performance drop to about 4 FPS in the city. Previously I had just increased the memory settings in the ini file since I have 1gb of RAM....
Post Fri Jun 13, 2003 8:36 pm
Lysander
Protector of the Realm
Protector of the Realm

Mr. Teatime & bigkabuto:

What OS do you use?

BIOS tweaking depends on the BIOS. A Google search for BIOS tweaking <your motherboard> may turn up something useful. Note that if other games and applications run fine, your problems is probably not in the BIOS.

Hows does the G2 demo run for you guys? G1?

bigkabuto:

Rebooting clears your RAM (both video and system and gets rid of background crap that might slow down performance (assuming it doesn't start with the computer).
Post Fri Jun 13, 2003 8:54 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Try to increase your AGP aperture (sp?) size to 256Mb if it´s less now.
Post Fri Jun 13, 2003 9:00 pm
Lysander
Protector of the Realm
Protector of the Realm

Basically what I do with AGP aperture size is start with like 32 and double it (or if you're patient, add 32 each time) until 512, running 3dmark each time, then go with the one that got the highest score.
Post Fri Jun 13, 2003 9:04 pm
Mr. Teatime
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

G1 is completely smooth at full settings, at any res. My Bios is tuned as much as I can I think - AGP apature was at 64, now at 256, no or little difference in G2 performance. I'm using Windows XP.
Post Fri Jun 13, 2003 10:34 pm
Alistair
Guards Lieutenant
Guards Lieutenant

Yes, that ATI setting in the .ini file made a huge difference for me in the demo. I had hoped that it was off by default in the international versions.
Post Fri Jun 13, 2003 10:40 pm
Mr. Teatime
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Ok not only do I get jerky framerates in the city, the camera seems to go a little wierd when these low framerate areas occur. When I walk, the camera 'jerks' with the character's running pace, and tilts down toward the ground in time with the character running which is disorientating, as well as annoying as I'm sure this effect isn't intentional. This only happens when the framerate is jerky (i.e. in the city), when the game is smooth the camera remains level. Does anyone else have this problem?

edit-----
the cloud shadows thing is definately a bug, as it never is on unless I go into the menu screen then exit again. Also, might the poor framerates have something to do with this 'checking virtual file disk system' thing? It sounds like some form of copy protection but apparantly not all players have this, only some? I know that some copy protection things can impact framerates.
Post Fri Jun 13, 2003 11:04 pm

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next