Usergroups
Issues with Geforce 4??
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic - Troubleshooting

Author Thread
Cancer
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I downloaded the latest patch 1.08k and still cannot get past the PB water scene. Here are the specs I am running:

Windows ME
512 PC 133 SDRAM
PNY Geforce 4 Ti 4400 w/ 128MB Ram

Does anyone else know if there is a plan for a patch to support the Geforce 4? I have the latest drivers for both my video card, motherboard & chipset.

There are plenty of resources available, as I do not have anything else running and have unchecked all unnecessary items within msconfig.

I am fairly competant with my pc, and have not experienced any problems with other programs and games. So I believe it is a software issue with the Gothic program.

Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated.

Post Tue Apr 09, 2002 5:00 pm
Llama
High Emperor
High Emperor

try turning off video scaling in the Gothic.ini

or try the various anti-aliasing funtions of the card

Post Tue Apr 09, 2002 5:05 pm
Cancer
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Ummm .. you really think that altering the ini file will let me start the game? For some reason, the game freezes right after the beginning Piranha Bytes water scene. Besides, what would I change in the ini file for Gothic?

Post Wed Apr 10, 2002 1:22 am
Entropy
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

this is a very interesting argument, cause iwas planning a Geforce4-oriented upgrade, please let me know if you can solve the problem!!
Post Wed Apr 10, 2002 1:31 pm
Wruf
City Guard
City Guard

This is interesting. It sounds like a DirectDraw problem and knowing nVidia cards as I have known them, they have plenty of those. Editing the INI probably will help solve problems because it deals with stuff from the moment you start the game, I believe? Though it could just be a bad installation, you might want to try a reinstall.

I'm not the person to help you though, there's one person on this board who really knows Gothic and how to fix it (I forget that person's name, apologies to them in advance). I'm sure s/he'll turn up and offer aid. See what you can find in the INI though relating to Gothic's 2D display functions. Though heck, it might even be a 3D problem, who knows? The engine might be initializing right after that video and before you go into game, so it could be an engine misconfig.

Having a look in the INI is always a good thing, I found numerous ways to improve the way Gothic ran on my machine thanks to it. :3

Edit Try this:

http://www.3dcht4u.de/3dc/11gwe7/geforce-tweak-utility.zip

Try its options, see if anything works. I read in the GeForce 3 topic that disabling the W-Buffer helps matters and that's bound to be true for the GeForce 4 too. Try using it to alter your anti-aliasing too as Llama suggested.

[ This Message was edited by: Wruf on 2002-04-10 14:03 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Wruf on 2002-04-10 14:03 ]
Post Wed Apr 10, 2002 6:54 pm
Llama
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
Ummm .. you really think that altering the ini file will let me start the game? For some reason, the game freezes right after the beginning Piranha Bytes water scene. Besides, what would I change in the ini file for Gothic?

Yes, I believe it has a chance to help you.

See, the way I figure it you're locking up during the cinema for the PB logo correct? The game uses video scaling for the cinemas, which means it stretches the video across the screen, no matter what resolution you're running in. While it normally works, there are times when it does not work, and it is either very choppy, or locks up.

Turning off the video scaling with turn off the stretching, the video will run in a normal size, no matter what resolution you're running the game in. At 1024x768 it's not stretched across the screen, but rather it fits in the middle of your monitor.

To turn it off, just double click the Gothic.ini file and scroll down until you see "scaleVideos=1" changing that "1" to "0" will turn it off.

Post Thu Apr 11, 2002 2:01 am
DzD
Unknown
Unknown

quote:

On 2002-04-09 20:22, Cancer wrote:

My game freezed when the pirhana byte intro was over. Then I discovered that I couldīnt play the game because it was to many programs open. Then I restarted my computer and closed as many prodrams as possible. THen it worked for me.
Post Thu Apr 11, 2002 4:38 pm
Cancer
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Thank you all for the help. The Geforce Tweaker in combination with modifying the ini file worked. But as a note to all Geforce 4 Users (and those who may be soon), make sure to download the free version of Geforce Tweaker that the gentleman above so kindly suggested. When doing so, make sure to goto the OpenGL tab and check the compatibility mode to use the old TNT2 instructions & disabliing T&L. That along with modifying your ini files ( I did a little more than what was suggested ), this should get your Geforce 4's to work.

My humble thanks to all whom offered their advice and the patience in dealing with me.

Now, does anyone have any suggestions for a newbie in Gothic? Also, how can I change my picture from a Peasant to something else, or something original?

Post Fri Apr 12, 2002 12:25 am
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

quote:

On 2002-04-11 19:25, Cancer wrote:
Now, does anyone have any suggestions for a newbie in Gothic? Also, how can I change my picture from a Peasant to something else, or something original?

Congrats on getting things to works.
Your picture is related to your postcount. Look here.
Take a look at the tips and tricks forum, you'll find a lot of useful information there. And if you have a specific question, then feel free to ask.

Post Fri Apr 12, 2002 12:39 am
Cancer
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Thanks Val.

Post Fri Apr 12, 2002 12:49 am
Entropy
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

In an Italian forum people with Asus Geforce4 4600 are reporting freezes after the PB logo (but they say hitting "esc" a couple of times solves the problem), and, when ingame, a Big problem with ground textures (black and green stripes, they say)...
Someone with the same experience?
I will try to report the Cancer's solution and see if things get better!

[ This Message was edited by: Entropy on 2002-04-12 08:25 ]
Post Fri Apr 12, 2002 8:28 am
Cancer
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I hope my suggestions helped some people on the Italian Forumn. I am content now that my Geforce 4 Issue has been resolved. Every game I own runs at blazing speed.
Post Mon Apr 15, 2002 2:35 am

Wruf's file..

i downloaded that file you posted wruf... any way to explain to a newb how to use it correctly? i just clicked quality and then put in systray...
Post Sat Apr 20, 2002 2:15 pm