Chekote
Where’s my Banana?!?!
Where’s my Banana?!?!

Agnostic
Post Thu Mar 11, 2004 9:55 pm
vaticide
Put food in here
Put food in here

Psst: Atheism isn't a religion, and you spelled it wrong.

-vaticide
Post Thu Mar 11, 2004 10:00 pm
Ammon777
Warrior for Heaven
Warrior for Heaven

@vaticide: so... no need to get technical..

I am Mormon, and although Christiandom doesnt like to admit it, we are true Christians. The church is named Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. How they can say we dont believe in Christ is beyond me. Just bcuz we have a more sophisticated worldview thats fairly different than theirs, doesnt mean they can say we arent Christians. Thats like saying Shiva Hinduism isnt Hinduism. I can dance with Siva too, but with Jesus Christ and the Father are where my allegiances lie. Ive said enough, lol.

EDIT 1 -- I was born Mormon, but religions i have tried in the past and quit after determining they didnt reflect reality sufficiently, are:

-- traditional Native American belief system
-- Rosicrucianism (secret order, two different orders)
-- Siva Hinduism and a little Bhuddism
-- Satanism (in high school, heh -- Anton LaVey is an idiot)
-- Gothic Occultism (is deceiving... not to mention false...)
-- Esoteric Christianity (believe me, its complicated)
-- influenced by Aleister Crowley and Ancient Egyptian religions
-- influenced by all existent Esotericism (Freemasonry, et cetera)
-- Spiritist as well as Spiritualism; also the study of Magic(k) in general
-- universalist Christianity for a while in college
-- plus i am schizoaffective, a rare form of schizophrenia
-- other influences not worth mentioning...

EDIT 2 -- i have also been Agnostic as well as Atheist
Post Thu Mar 11, 2004 10:11 pm
Joeman
Protector of the Realm
Protector of the Realm

I think religion is just one big hoax. Almost everyone is raised in a certain religion after childhoold brainwashing. It's not something they choose.

Atheists like myself are people who don't have herds mentality and are capable of independent critical thinking.
Post Thu Mar 11, 2004 10:35 pm
Chekote
Where’s my Banana?!?!
Where’s my Banana?!?!

No offence but someone who is so completely Atheist is just as self righteous as someone who is Uber Religeous.

To me, anyone who claims they KNOW that a god doesnt exist is just as ignorant as someone who claims they KNOW it does.

Faith is fine, Doubt is fine, but no one knows for sure.
Post Thu Mar 11, 2004 11:00 pm
Myrthos
Spoiler of All Fun
Spoiler of All Fun

Well I guess I'm self righteous then
...you won't have to unbookmark this site, we'll unbookmark you. - Val
Reports Myrthos for making me scared and humbled at the mere sight of his name - kayla
Post Thu Mar 11, 2004 11:31 pm
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

Add another tally for agnostic.
RIP Red Wings How 'Bout Dem Cowboys!
Post Thu Mar 11, 2004 11:44 pm
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

Thelemite, if anything.
Post Fri Mar 12, 2004 12:09 am
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

Inactive Mormon. I still read my scriptures, say my prayers and try to live right, I just don't like going to church. *shrug*
Post Fri Mar 12, 2004 12:58 am
Kiwi Boy
High Emperor
High Emperor

Atheist, though a Christian wannabe.
Post Fri Mar 12, 2004 3:09 am
Llama
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
Originally posted by Joeman
Atheists like myself are people who don't have herds mentality and are capable of independent critical thinking.

Um... I thought people like yourself are just people that deny the existance of any God. It doesn't take any level of "critical thinking" to say God doesn't exist. Disbelief is one thing, but claiming to be of a higher standard just because you lack the desire to become part of a religion is ignorant. You are, by no stretch of the imagination any better than any single person walking this Earth.
Post Fri Mar 12, 2004 3:53 am
vaticide
Put food in here
Put food in here

quote:
Originally posted by Jaz
Thelemite, if anything.

In a perfect world, I guess I would be too.

@Chekote: I'm sorry you feel that way about atheists. I suppose it is hard not to be self righteous when you are being defined by the lack of being something else. If there were no religion, the concept of atheism wouldn't exist, yet I would be no different. So I suppose if I'm going to be forced to be self-righteous as I'm forced to have to be an atheist, I guess I am self-righteous too.

-vaticide
Post Fri Mar 12, 2004 4:32 am
Joeman
Protector of the Realm
Protector of the Realm

quote:
Originally posted by Chekote
No offence but someone who is so completely Atheist is just as self righteous as someone who is Uber Religeous.

To me, anyone who claims they KNOW that a god doesnt exist is just as ignorant as someone who claims they KNOW it does.

Faith is fine, Doubt is fine, but no one knows for sure.

If that statement is aimed at me, you are completely missing my point.

A lot of atheists at one point were religious, but eventually abandoned their faith because of research and open mindedness.

There are very few religiously people who adapted their religion because they researched it and choose to adopt a certain religion. People adopt a certain religion because it is spooned fed to them when they were young.

I used to be religious and go to church every Sunday. From my experience, I know very few people would even study another religion or listening to the argument of atheists with an open mind. That's mainly because of arrogance and fear. All Christians have this attitude that all other religions are inferior and wrong. They are also afraid of going to hell. Fear is a tool that's used by all religion to perpetuate itself.

I don't know everything, and I am constantly looking with an open mind. There are a lot of interesting theories on the web out there. UFO theory is very interesting. Remember Elohim is God in hebrew? Actually Elohim is plural and it's literal meaning is "those who come from the sky." Singular is Eloha. That means God is maybe plural and come from the sky. It's possible that God are the "little green men" but we mistaken them as God. Actually God wouldn't be little green men either because according to the bible, men is created with their image, so aliens can look exactly like human. Bible could very well be the teaching of a superior civilization, and we couldn't understand it because it's way too advanced. It probably has been interpreted terribly and also translated hundreds of times. If Adam and Eve are created in the labortory called "Eden" through genetic engineering, there is no way the we could have translated that in the bible. Jesus, Buhda, and Muhammed could have been God's messangers for each different culture. Virgin Mary could have been kidnapped and artificially inseminated. That's why she was a virgin.

Anyways, before you guys think I am a completely lunatic, I have to say I am very skeptical, but it's still more believable than the bible and very interesting also. Believe it or not, a lot of very educated UFOtologists in many universities all over the world are looking into the theory and researching it.
Post Fri Mar 12, 2004 4:47 am
Joeman
Protector of the Realm
Protector of the Realm

quote:
Originally posted by Llama
quote:
Originally posted by Joeman

Um... I thought people like yourself are just people that deny the existance of any God. It doesn't take any level of "critical thinking" to say God doesn't exist. Disbelief is one thing, but claiming to be of a higher standard just because you lack the desire to become part of a religion is ignorant. You are, by no stretch of the imagination any better than any single person walking this Earth.

The followers of the pack are the lowest of the low. Those are the people I look down upon in real life. A lot of things that have gone wrong in the world and throughout history can be attributed to herd mentality. Without herd mentality, there is no Nazi Germany. A lot of wars and conflicts would have been avoided. It's always easy to take the path that's beaten down then to create your own.
Post Fri Mar 12, 2004 4:54 am

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next