Forever Young!?!
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > MMORPGs General

Author Thread
Kiff
Protector of the Realm
Protector of the Realm

Forever Young!?!

I know what you want in an MMORPG, I've been around this forum a bit. But what little things do you want?

Listen to what I mean. EQII says they will be ageing characters in the game...you'll no longer be forever young, your character will get wrinkles and grey hair. Thats a small but cool aspect. I also want an in-game map, but not one like UO, I want one that is all black untill you explore the area, and the more you explore one area the better defined the in-game map becomes. If you travel to an area just once the area is no longer black but it is blurry and maybe with a road going the wrong way or a lake in the wrong spot. You could train in catagraphy (spellcheck) and when you travel your in-game map will be better the first trip. I think this is another small aspect but a cool one. Darkfall is saying they will have player collision, players will not be able to walk through one enother. Small but cool. ToA has 99 deaths and the 100th is permadeath, small aspect but a cool one, IMHO. What small things would you like to see in a game?
Post Mon Sep 08, 2003 2:32 pm
Ligi
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

I work all day and I am behind a firewall.So during daytime I cant login or advance my character in any way except search info and lurk the forums.

Would be cool to give the possibility to sell and buy items through a simple login process with IE. That way working people, during daytime, could search the market, check prices, buy and sell.
Post Mon Sep 08, 2003 2:43 pm
MoonDragon
High Emperor
High Emperor

Actually, ToA is supposed to have every single thing you mention above.
Post Mon Sep 08, 2003 3:00 pm
Kiff
Protector of the Realm
Protector of the Realm

quote:
Originally posted by MoonDragon
Actually, ToA is supposed to have every single thing you mention above.

Even the map thing?
Post Mon Sep 08, 2003 3:19 pm
MoonDragon
High Emperor
High Emperor

Cartography is supposed to be something a character learns (a skill they can develop). Otherwise there are no 'official' maps in the game. Maps will be objects made by players in the game, and will be tradable. That is how I understand the system they are shooting for. Additionally, since languages will be major barriers, and 'dungeons' will be quest specific and dynamically generated on the fly, there will be no "cave of the fire dragon #2" that people can continuously go to, to farm for an "uber sword of slaying +8". Besides all that, the terrain in that game is supposed to be dynamic as well, and major events will reshape the landscape. I.e. if you start a forest fire and burn a whole forrest down, there will be no more "sherwood forrest" on someone's map. On top of all that, there will be no premade landmarks. I.e. developer's won't put a mountain peak on the map and say that it's called the "dragon's tooth" or some such name. Some of the features may have historical lore associated with them, but they will not be labeled as such by default, and players certainly have the power to call them whatever they want to.
Post Mon Sep 08, 2003 6:51 pm
SuperCowMan24
Blademaster of the Moo
Blademaster of the Moo

What is ToA?

Don't you feel better now?
Post Sun Sep 14, 2003 10:22 pm
Ozymandias
Leader of the Senate
Leader of the Senate

I think they're talking about Trials of Ascension. http://www.shadowpool.com/

Disclaimer: I can not be held responsible for anything whatsoever as a result of you reading this post.
Post Sun Sep 14, 2003 11:11 pm
Zakhal
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

100 lives is too much. I cant think of a single mmorpg where i would have died 100 times or more.
Post Mon Sep 15, 2003 11:31 am
Ekim
Eagle's Shadow
Eagle's Shadow

quote:
Originally posted by Zakhal
100 lives is too much. I cant think of a single mmorpg where i would have died 100 times or more.

Ever played for more than 3months? 100 lives isn't too much... I'd say it's just about borderline to being "okay"... if perma-death could ever be considered okay in an MMORPG.
Post Mon Sep 15, 2003 3:53 pm
Ammon777
Warrior for Heaven
Warrior for Heaven

< ammon removes this post bcuz it doesnt reflect reality >

Last edited by Ammon777 on Tue Sep 16, 2003 10:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post Mon Sep 15, 2003 5:02 pm
Kiff
Protector of the Realm
Protector of the Realm

quote:
Originally posted by Ekim
quote:
Originally posted by Zakhal

Ever played for more than 3months? 100 lives isn't too much... I'd say it's just about borderline to being "okay"... if perma-death could ever be considered okay in an MMORPG.

Agreed!!! 100 Lives isn't all that many. Average 2, thats right TWO, a level and at level 50 you won't be able to die anymore or it's all over. Now also take a game you don't know, controls, enemys, landscapes, and 100 adds up real quick. In every MMO I've played...I died 30 before level 10. Thats with almost ever character I make too...not just my n00b's. I'm not interested in ToA but I like the perma-death idea, and I think 100 is just right...if not enough.
Post Mon Sep 15, 2003 8:09 pm
Ammon777
Warrior for Heaven
Warrior for Heaven

Youre right. A long time ago (well, 3 years) when i was playing Asherons Call (not the sequel), it was my first mmorpg and at first i died at least 100 times before i got to level 5. I know, i was pathetic, but it was my first mmorpg and i wasnt used to not having a saved game as backup. Nowadays im a lot more cautious and dont die that often (maybe once a day).
Post Mon Sep 15, 2003 9:03 pm
Ekim
Eagle's Shadow
Eagle's Shadow

Consider that even if you died every other day (if you played every day), you would lose your character to perma-death after a little more than 6 months of play! For the amount of time you would have invested in this character, your perma-death would be a huge sacrifice, and a huge deal! And it wouldn't take long to get there either! 100 deaths is not too much...
Post Mon Sep 15, 2003 9:17 pm
Ammon777
Warrior for Heaven
Warrior for Heaven

EDIT -- ive changed my mind about that...

Last edited by Ammon777 on Tue Sep 16, 2003 10:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post Mon Sep 15, 2003 10:12 pm
vaticide
Put food in here
Put food in here

Sure but this is all forgetting how cautious everyone will be with their characters. Since they have to worry about perma-death they won't do anything to put themselves in harm's way. I also agree this is too many. Once you get the hang of it you should not die very often unless you are uncautious... or the server crashes a lot.

-vaticide
Post Mon Sep 15, 2003 10:35 pm

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next