Where exactly is the huge difference...
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 Spoilers

Author Thread
Sir RubberDuck
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Where exactly is the huge difference...

....between playing as a paladin and playing as a mercenary? A very few people will react differently towards you (like Torlof refusing to instruct militia men), but I surely expected more. How come I am able to walk around as a mercenary in the city, without any guards harrasing me or any merchants (except one) refusing to sell anything? How come no one is trying to beat me up when I arrive at Onars farm in a city guard uniform?

The side quests doesn't change much either. Heck, Torlof is even giving me the same quests as a got as a mercenary, even though I am a paladin, and I haven't received any subquests from Hagen or Andre since chapter 2.

I remember reading a preview of Gothic 2 a long time ago, where the developers were stating that wearing mercenary armor in the city would be a stupid idea, since you would recieve negative reactions from people. They also said that if you joined up with the city guard, and removed your uniform then nobody would see you as a city guard, and greet you as a normal citizen instead. If this is true, then why does Lares and Lee know that I'm a guard, even though I'm wearing leather armor? If Piranha Bytes spend so much time on realistic AI, then why do these people know that I'm a guard right away?

I certainly hope that this won't be an issue in Gothic 3....

Last edited by Sir RubberDuck on Wed Aug 20, 2003 7:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post Wed Aug 20, 2003 6:39 pm
Sasa
Baron of the Court
Baron of the Court

Re: Where excactly is the huge difference...

I agree with you on 101%. It seems so that people see your soul .Once I even red some where that you can change guilds when-ever you want.
Of cause now I see that it is all lies.
Whole difference between guilds is in few quests or in the way of making some quests. And of cause in armor.

P.S. when you wrote Thorus and others you forgot about Wolf.

Ex elf... and if you don't belive, go ask Feanor

By the way... Boo!!!! Scared? No?
Post Wed Aug 20, 2003 7:18 pm
Sir RubberDuck
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Well, switching guilds is a pretty extreme demand . I just wish that PH would have worked some more on the flaws I mentioned before.
Post Wed Aug 20, 2003 7:29 pm
Toaster
Bread Alert
Bread Alert

PB, or someone else, I don't remember, said that reactions would be based on the armor you're wearing in the add-on. I hope so.

Tabbrowser Extensions
DictionarySearch
Post Wed Aug 20, 2003 8:51 pm
Hard_Worker
Village Leader
Village Leader

W8

so I'm now a mage

and when I will finish the game and will want to start over again

who will I choose - paladin or merc\dragon hunter ???
Post Thu Aug 21, 2003 7:07 am
kugraw
City Guard
City Guard

There are a couple of quests which are only available if you belong to a certain guild (cleaning the path of Innos, collecting Orc war loards rings, collecting dragon eggs in Khorinis etc). There is a main difference in fighting strategy if you are a mage or a paladin/merc. But in the end there is not really that much variation. Although I played the game with all 3 guilds.

Kay
Post Thu Aug 21, 2003 8:58 am
Whailor
Most Exalted Highlord
Most Exalted Highlord

Regarding the Lares and Lee - Lares is a "spy", so to say, do you really think that you could hide from him the fact that you joined militia? And do you really think that he would not have told about this to Lee in some message? Sure, Lee knows this as soon as you join it, as if he got an e-mail, but that's beside the point. The thing is pretty normal. And naturally Torlof and Bennet would know this too, from Lee, and thus refuse something to you.

But there's enough of little and big quests, which are different for paladin and mercenary. At the same time, the general game things are the same, as the story is one. Personally I feel that it's done not bad at all, as there's enough difference in quite few areas to offer new gameplay with each guild. Naturally some things can be improved or added, but as it is now, it's not bad at all as well. And definately there's much more difference in this in Gothic 2, then in many other games.
Post Thu Aug 21, 2003 10:35 am
Sir RubberDuck
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

I never said this was bad. I am saying it needs improvement
Post Thu Aug 21, 2003 5:26 pm
Iron Man
Dazed and Confused
Dazed and Confused

*Sighs a sigh of relief after reading Sir RubberDuck's name a second time around.*

Technically if it will be implemented in the addon, it will be in Gothic 2

This box secretly turns into a picture and laughs at YOU personally when you're not looking.
Post Thu Aug 21, 2003 6:28 pm
Vercingetorix
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Re: Where exactly is the huge difference...

quote:
Originally posted by Sir RubberDuck
[...]....then nobody would see you as a city guard, and greet you as a normal citizen instead....[...]

In *one* Militia quest, you have to take off the armor to complete the quest (or so Ellusion's FAQ says - I haven't tried it with the armor, though...)

I'm not sure if the Thieves react differently if you're not wearing guild armor during the 2 determining speeches Cassius has (first encounter, and after joining a guild).
Post Fri Aug 22, 2003 10:26 am
Whailor
Most Exalted Highlord
Most Exalted Highlord

You mean Cassia? No, she tells that it does not matter for whom you work "up there", but you're one of them now and that's all what matters. And, warns you not to betray them. Ah well, big talk from them at the start, but later they were quite an easy fight

And yes, I know that you didn't mean it's bad. I didn't imply on that. Simply there is a difference, sometimes it feels too subtle, sometimes it's pretty obvious. But in any case, the difference is quite clear and as I said, I found it to be big enough to allow me to play the game through with each guild, and finding something new each time Of course, I have played the game through many more time then that, just to explore every corner and hole and so on. Still at times sit down and play it again, since it's neat
Post Fri Aug 22, 2003 11:18 am