Usergroups
Grimoire: New Site Launched
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > News Comments

Author Thread
corwin
On the Razorblade of Life

Hey Cleve, just where in Qld. are you? We might be neighbours!!

I don't use Smileys, I use Emoticons!!

Post Tue May 11, 2004 7:37 am
Cleve Blakemore

Queensland

quote:
Originally posted by corwin
Hey Cleve, just where in Qld. are you? We might be neighbours!!

Gold Coast. Robina.
Post Tue May 11, 2004 8:43 am

OctarineDragon
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Woah - worse than an infidel! What does that make me that neither provides his own Fallout shelter nor believes in gods or their handy apocalypses?

So, having stated them as certain facts, and doubtlessly being men and women of their words, can we expect all sides to publicly eat their words in public (on these forums, maybe?) if their various prophecies do not come to pass as predicted?

@Cleve:
I've followed your work for years, as many here have, and I have a weak spot for it no matter how much our political views differ. Indeed, I kinda enjoyed the political rants and counterattacks on your old forums (as a lurker) - nothing better to get worm in a cold winter night than political debate.
However, one thing I must know, if I am ever going to buy Grimoire once it comes out (which I am certainly considering): will your political and religious beliefs be as prevalent in your games as they are in your postings? I don't mind ethical dilemmas in a game, to be sure, but I'd hate to be told what's right and wrong by a game, especially in a fantasy setting.

Last edited by OctarineDragon on Wed May 12, 2004 1:03 am; edited 2 times in total
Post Wed May 12, 2004 1:02 am
Lucky Day

thank you Cleve, I love that scripture

[2Tim 1:7] For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.

Post Wed May 12, 2004 1:03 am

quote:
Originally posted by Lucky Day
thank you Cleve, I love that scripture

[2Tim 1:7] For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.

Look, everybody! I'm running down the middle of the highway naked during rush hour jumping in front of cars! I've conquered the spirit of fear! I've got a sound mind! Magic Jesus will protect me!

Lucky Day, I realize you may be short of the needed tools, but the above admonishes you to use your mind to prepare wisely for the future and not drift off into denial or LEFT BEHIND fan fiction pre-millennial rapture fantasies.

Listen, Lucky Day, how come post-trib rapture was taught for 1990 years in the Church and the last decade we switched to consumer convenient ez-rapture?

Octo, there have been no prophecies on this thread, just hard science.
Post Wed May 12, 2004 3:19 am

Lucky Day

Since we are talking about science its called hermeneutics.

To answer your question we had 1500 years of justification by works until Martin Luther took another look and his discoveries made jsutification by faith widespread thanks to the invention of movable type. He only credits discovering it not inventing it.

In the last century we had the works of Dwight D. Pentecost and his writings made people take a closer look at what The Word actually says about eschatology rather than just taking scripture out of context for their own agenda.

The pretribulation rapture is not convenient to conspiracy and doomsday theorists because it gives people what every other idea lacks: hope.

There is one thing I must say. I take exception to your criticising scripture as you did in your last post.. It is the same one you posted. How dare you, sir.
Post Wed May 12, 2004 5:22 am

quote:
Originally posted by Lucky Day
Since we are talking about science its called hermeneutics.

To answer your question we had 1500 years of justification by works until Martin Luther took another look and his discoveries made jsutification by faith widespread thanks to the invention of movable type. He only credits discovering it not inventing it.

In the last century we had the works of Dwight D. Pentecost and his writings made people take a closer look at what The Word actually says about eschatology rather than just taking scripture out of context for their own agenda.

The pretribulation rapture is not convenient to conspiracy and doomsday theorists because it gives people what every other idea lacks: hope.

There is one thing I must say. I take exception to your criticising scripture as you did in your last post.. It is the same one you posted. How dare you, sir.

Hermeneutics is not a science, Lucky.

Pretrib is convenient for the world's fattest and most effeminate race of men in all of recorded history. A lovely consumer delivery system that lifts you out of harm's way whilst those evil pagans get what they got coming to them. Previous generations of Christians were men - with fully descended testicles. They understood God to be harsh and at times implacable, with the only mercy to be found with Christ. Modern girly-mens could never live in a world without central air and all the mallowbars you can cram down. Thus the pretrib was born for the lowest sperm counts of all time, so their pale flabby delicately manicured hands would never aqquire a callus at the hands of a plow. The perfect way to maximize returns in the church basket on Sundays by selling the sheeple a promise of first class for their ass when the Judgement Trump sounded, their chubby big butts floating like gassy parade floats up through the skies to meet with their host and multilevel marketing pal, Magic Jesus.

Magic Jesus doesn't exist. It's a perverse and blasphemous twist to two thousand years of Christian theology identical to cults in Haiti where they worship both Jesus and his demon wives. It's a hideous abomination and an affront to our ancestors who were made of better stuff and accepted the reality that the end might be hard for all, saved and unsaved alike. No unmanly or cowardly souls have any part in the Book of Life, never did and never will. God doesn't like you either, Lucky. Sorry.
Post Wed May 12, 2004 6:28 am

OctarineDragon
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Guys, keep to the topic, will you - this is about Grimoire and its author, not about 'scripture' nor about 'science' (I haven't seen anything scientific beyond hearsay, mind). There are threads on this in the General Discussion area, if you think this might be worthy of further discussion.

Here, you'll only succeed in scaring away Cleve, and I would hate that since I'd really like to have my question answered.

Edit: of course, RPGDot has no board intended for the propagation of overt misogynism, so I suppose the author of the corresponding post may just go on talking to himself in RL.

Last edited by OctarineDragon on Wed May 12, 2004 10:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post Wed May 12, 2004 1:27 pm
corwin

Cleve, not far apart, Loganholme.

Guests (and since you've not bothered to regisiter, please remember you ARE guests, with the privilege to post) please avoid a flame war here. As the resident religious expert on this forum (check out my profile) I will be happy to debate/discuss your points of view in a rational manner in the appropriate place. (You can even use the forum on my website if you wish) I find both your arguments interesting, so please continue correctly and you both might learn something. AOT would suffice.

I don't use Smileys, I use Emoticons!!

Post Wed May 12, 2004 1:48 pm
niteshade6

Actualy I'm pretty sure all the people posting as guests are Cleve, he just doesn't always remember to post his name.

"I don't think you have read any of the materials at the links I provided. In fact, I'm certain you never even clicked through to any of them. "

Then you would be wrong. I looked at both, and even made specific reference to the highly questionable "secret report".

"You keep talking about there "being no proof." Are you saying satellite feeds from Nasa and Woods Hole Oceanographic data don't constitute proof of anything? "

They don't prove that there really was a secret report by the US government that they are trying to hide from our citizens, no. You may remember that was what I was questioning.

"There's no such thing as doomsday, partner. That's your internal bias again. There's just another climate shift, another war, another famine, another pandemic."

And once again you ignore my question. I didn't mean doomsday literaly, but you clearly believe a horrible event is occuring that will cause a world collapse. So why bother working on Grimoire? Do you really think there will be much of a market for it after that?
Post Wed May 12, 2004 8:52 pm

Cleve Blakemore

Games are fun to work on

Isn't it obvious if my motivation for writing games was cold pragmatic gain that I would have released Grimoire ten years ago when it was a 320x240 Mode-X Wolfenstein style shooter?

I really enjoy creating beautiful things. I hope there are buyers for them somewhere when they are finished, so my wife doesn't divorce me and sell off my Black Mesa complex to an Asian consortium of trinket shops. That's the reason I offer them for sale when they are finished, so they can fund the creation of other beautiful games afterwards. I don't really care all that much about profit, though. I never did. The truth is that writing a truly beautiful classic style CRPG is it's own reward. Sad for you that all you can wonder about is what the financial angle is. Life is short, partner, if all you have to show for it when it is over is a heap of fiat currency then you're going to wind up a pretty big failure ... like most of post-modern society, as a matter of fact.

Funny how with all this "altruism" floating around from the 1960's America and the West are a harder, uglier, more brutal and inhuman civilization than it has ever been before. Makes you wonder what the real motives of all that "social concern" really was, doesn't it? Money and mammon are for monkeys,
Post Thu May 13, 2004 12:32 am

niteshade6

Well I actualy doubt it would have been pragmatic to release it as a wolfenstein game, there is alot of competition for those so you really have to be top of the line to succeed. A retro niche game (and I consider that a positive thing) like Grimoire is a far more pragmatic project for a somebody with limited resources to attempt.

Regardless, I'd have to assume that after an ice age, global collapse, and nuclear war, the internet would not be functional for a long time and it might be a little hard to distribute your game even if there are buyers. And it's highly questionable weither current forms of currency would still be accepted.
Post Thu May 13, 2004 1:19 am

OctarineDragon
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

*nag*

will you consider answeing my question, Cleve?

*nag*
Post Thu May 13, 2004 1:35 am
Cleve Blakemore

Your question

quote:
Originally posted by OctarineDragon
*nag*

will you consider answeing my question, Cleve?

*nag*

Will there be "political" content in Grimoire? What does that word mean, exactly?

Do you think I'll be advocating the virtues of a benevolent dictatorship by showing the wonderful infrastructure projects in the Kublai Axis achieved by the Vanguard military? How all the horse carriages run on time? I don't know what political ideology you are referring to - and I don't think you know either. You're just expelling air through your windpipe as it belches up from your last meal and then trying to convert it into meaningful semantics with some sort of context seconds before it exits your lips.

Grimoire is a story about a quest to find a clock that is running down. There are demons who want it to run down so they can overtake the seen world. Are you going to do some kind of queer Oprah style analysis saying the demons equate with Republicans or Nazis, or vice versa? Maybe you should not be playing these kinds of games, you should be heavily medicated and doing finger painting in some kind of rehabilitation therapy.
Post Thu May 13, 2004 2:26 am

Somebody needs to either:

a) stop watching Dr. Strangelove

or

b) watch Dr. Strangelove a whole bunch
Post Thu May 13, 2004 4:30 am

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next