Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
Crashes to desktop at the very end of game?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 - Troubleshooting

Author Thread
Warmskin
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

Crashes to desktop at the very end of game?

My game (G2-NotR) crashes to desktop at what I believe is the end of the game. I don't remember exactly because it's been a few years since I first finished it. OK some spoilers may follow, so if you haven't finished yet, don't read any further...

Halls of Irdorath (or beyond?):
I go up a huge staircase and at the top is the 'undead dragon'. It sure seems like the end because the conversation refers to who I'm supposed to be and how both he (the dragon) and I and very much alike. I kill him after our talk and the video starts. I see him crash to the floor and then after a while the mage that I met before I got to the dragon comes in and starts performing some kind of spell ritual on him. You see the dragon and the soul or ghost or whatever rising from his lifeless body on the floor. My character is watching all this and then it dumps me to desktop at this point with an 'Access Violation' msg. See my note at the bottom:

======================================= UNHANDLED EXCEPTION OCCURED ======================================================
======================================= CRASH INFOS: =====================================================================
Gothic II - 2.7 (eng), Parser Version: 50
User: Bill, CPUType: 586, Mem: 1023 MB total, 291 MB free
Camera: Pos(-16541.125/3300.98145/33236.7461), At(0.140121505/-0.210795775/-0.9674353)
Startup Options:
=============================================== CALLSTACK : ==============================================================
001B:3001C32B (0x00000004 0x00000000 0x03020100 0x07060504) binkw32.dll, YUV_init()+9019 byte(s)

I remember going back to my ship after this the first time I played thru and I think I got another video back there, so I know this isn't quite the very end of the game. Tried it twice, then D/Ld the newest nvidea drivers as per a FAQ I saw here that was supposed to help, but with the new driver it crashed again. Any ideas? Thanks.
Post Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:40 pm
imposteraz
Tempered Warlord
Tempered Warlord

If you have the latest video driver, all I can think of is maybe you have some security software (anti-virus or script blocker) running.

Also, are you running as the admin userid on your machine? If not, you may also run into permission problems.

It might possibly have to do with a corrupted save and you may need to do the "PC Hero instance" fix before attacking the dragon (hero export and hero import your character to reset the PC instance setting ).

If all else fails, maybe clone your savegames and reinstall the game. Then bring back your savegames and try again. It might be that a file that's part of the final sequence has been damaged.

I know these all sound unlikely, but that's all I have to suggest. Others that are more deeply technical may have seen this problem and have other ideas for you.

"OK, I've got the 'No Die' part."
Post Mon Mar 27, 2006 4:28 pm
Warmskin
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

Thanks a lot for the suggestions. I don't know at this point if I really want to try all those ideas, seeing that I *did* completely finish the game a couple years back and I (of course) saw and finished all the new stuff for NotR. To add to that, I went into the video files and played all the ending files just now. I realize it's not like completley ending the game correctly, but seeing those few videos at the end was all I didn't really do. Now, if I had *never* finished the game in the first place back when it first came out years back, then I would be royally *ticked off* and I'd be doing everything in my power to fix it. Also, I feel the irresistable pull of Oblivion working on me (I know, I know, 'heresy'), none the less, it is an undeniable fact that I am an adulterer when it comes to RPGs.
It's funny but the soon to be new 'love of my life' insists I buy a whole new machine before she'll let me 'play her' (not really a problem), but I believe the time has come to move on for a while. Maybe I can re-install NotR on the new machine and try one more time just for 'old time's sake). I probably won't be around much for a while because of my new mistress (ES4). I'll miss the place. It's been fun. But hey, what am I being so morbid about. ***I'll Be back for G3***.
Post Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:11 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

This is a common problem. Just try it a few times, with and without interrupting the dragon or Xardas with Esc. It will work sooner or later.
Post Wed Mar 29, 2006 9:46 pm
Amoebe
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

You're getting this crash because one of the video's is corrupt. You're playing as a paladin right?
You can play the video's with a bink player and that one crashes too if you play the Paladin's video. All the others are fine though. I solved it by deleting the corrupt video and copiing and renaming one of the other's. I don't remember which file was the corrupt one or the exact location but with the bink player it's easy to locate it (this starts to sound like a generic RPG quest: locate the corrupt one and terminate him )
Post Sun May 21, 2006 7:37 pm