Endless Online Worlds?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > News Comments

Author Thread
Rendelius
Critical Error
Critical Error

Endless Online Worlds?

An interesting <a href="http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/2708995.stm" target="_blank">BBC News</A> reports about a new technology that could revolutionize online worlds. Here's what it is about in short: <br><UL><i>The researchers are adapting AI techniques used for robot navigation to manage game worlds that constantly present fresh challenges to players. <br> <br>Games created using these techniques will be less like scenes from a film and more like a reactive and interactive world that players can explore almost endlessly. <br> <br>Already the researchers have created several virtual environments overseen by their story management system.</I></UL>Well worth a visit, I'd say. Thanks to Ammon777 for this interesting find.
Post Wed Feb 05, 2003 10:07 pm
Ammon777
Warrior for Heaven
Warrior for Heaven

This news actually comes as a good surprise since it made me aware of current improvements that we will see (say, 10 years from now?) hopefully soon applied to fields once the formalized routines are spread around the corporate world. I had a project which had nearly an exact philosophy and approach as these researchers do, but i had to give up on it prematurely, like so many software projects that come along. My point is, now that i know the general direction that research is heading in this area, we will someday soon, i hope, be seeing living, dynamic worlds that will have artificial citizens (NPCs) and formulated environments. The future of CRPGs certainly looks bright from here; so much so that we may all, come 10 or 20 more years down the road, be wishing we had an eternity to play them. Now all that needs to be done is someone needs to provide developers with a C++ Software Library of A.I. routines that any dev could take advantage of. I think we will see that development soon enough. Imagine how much money someone could make from that: an A.I. SDK (software development kit). I am almost tempted to try to make it myself, but i refrain because i would rather be playing SWG, EVE, Dragon Empires, MEO, ect, into the forseable future. Just some thoughts.

EDIT -- Imagine Gothic on a scale matching the size of Morrowind using that research * begins to drool all over his keyboard *
Post Wed Feb 05, 2003 10:17 pm
Wisp
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I Want My Holodeck!

One of the things that started the massive multiplayer online games development effort was the idea that deeper and better fantasy worlds would be created when real people socialized and role-played over the internet. So much for that - no one wants to role-play, each player wants to do everything by himself, be the hero or even just kill everyone/everything he sees.

I see the development of A.I.'s as something very good. I hope I can have my own "Star Trek Holodeck" soon.

Hmm... But it would be a disaster... no one would live in this world anymore... like in Matrix... *stops drooling* - Uh, sorry.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Post Thu Feb 06, 2003 4:20 am