View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > CRPGs General

Author Thread
vesselle
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

quote:
Originally posted by Remus
It's not a trivial issue when the bug can breaks or stop the game progression....

true.
however, an unofficial patch by dan, head of the planetvampire forums (previously the owner of the official-unofficial bloodlines forum, the late dilapidation.com) was out almost as soon as the bugs were isolated by the community. in fact, his patch had everything the recent official patch had... and more.

oh, and to stay on topic...
i've been gaming a long time. rpg's are considered "niche gaming", and if you think back, it's always been this way with releases. feast or famine. *shrugs* it's the nature of the beast.
my biggest fear is that with development costs and publishers going for the "sure thing" rpgs will become even scarcer. or worse, evolve into the "action rpg".

V***V
Post Thu Dec 30, 2004 3:59 pm
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

I never ran into that supposed game-stopping bug. And I played an unpatched version. I guess I live a blessed existance.
Post Thu Dec 30, 2004 9:08 pm
GothicGothicness
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

**** Spoiler Warning *****

well, Val... I guess you were the only person heartless enough ( which is good while playing a vampire indeed ) to kill that poor poor danish doctor Johansen
Post Thu Dec 30, 2004 11:48 pm
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

Actually, I didn't kill him. I did use Celerity to exit the cave in a hasty fashion, however. It's not my fault if the old codger was slow.
Post Fri Dec 31, 2004 12:11 am
GothicGothicness
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

sure you did , no consideration for the poor old man what so ever.
Post Fri Dec 31, 2004 12:23 am
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

Food doesn't concern me. If I had been human, I wouldn't have stopped to save a cow from the collapsing cave.
Post Fri Dec 31, 2004 12:52 am
GothicGothicness
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

Touché, I'll have to join in on a roleplaying session with you sometime I can see it'd get intressing. ( Yes I can tell things like this )

:S anyway I guess this thread turned in a strange direction after our little argument , I'll stop now.
Post Fri Dec 31, 2004 1:02 am
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

Hehe, well, I'm thinking of doing a NWN marathon on RPGDot's PW server this weekend if you'd care to join me. I don't have any other plans for New Years.... hmm.... a NWN New Years party.... I wonder if I could make a mod of that. Drinking virtual ale in a virtual tavern with online buddies sounds more appealing than being stuck at home with nothing to do.
Post Fri Dec 31, 2004 1:29 am
Hexy
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:

Seriously, eventhough they licensed the engine and considerably reduce the development time, with Bloodlines at the state right now, Troika still need several months to polish up the game. Really, i couldn't agree more with IGN's reviewer words putting Bloodlines as a "flawed gem". It's waste of opportunity and the capability of Source engine; Bloodlines gave me dreadful first impression with the early opening cut-scenes. The scenes move so fast as someone burst in and did something to someone else, which probably for Troika to cover up the lack of character walking animations. It really look bad for a professional game maker. Those kind of things usually reserved for low quality games - try out games like Breed and you'll know i meant.

Several months? To make the game what? Flawless, absolutely flawless? Seriously, Troika wasn't, even though you desperately try to make them out to be, the first company with huge amounts of bugs and problems in their game. Look at Morrowind or Gothic. And at least they didn't have the horrendously flawed and UNuserfriendly installation progress of HL2, a game that still had GLARING deficiencies when it shipped, like no deathmatch (something that was half-handedly implemented later on) and several server problems. Talk about game breaking deficiencies.

quote:

Beside that and several other issues Bloodlines looks good generally until half-way through - the King's Way quest, and the awful, endless monotonous combats near the end. What make that it even worse is at the first place the combat system isn't very fun anyway as already commented on in several reviews. And don't tell me Bloodlines is a "pure" and "true" RPG so combat don't count toward the end score. Combat always has took up considerable portion in cRPGs like BG, BG2, NWN, etc, and even the more talky game, PS:T. If Bloodlines really a "true" CRPG, then what the heck's the portion near the end that contain excessive amount of bad guys throwing themselves at you?. How on earth Troika can consider those parts as fun and necessary? Or it's another case of "sorry, we don't have enough time to put in quests so combat is all you guys get", or "we're late on milestone and publisher is breathing down our neck"?.

This is just wrong. Accusing Troika of having much combat towards the end? Not only are you stretching your own opinion, but let's take a look at other RPGs with similar deficiencies? How bout your oh-so-precious Fallout 1+2? Hello, enormous fighting in the military bases/oil rig. How 'bout Baldur's Gate? Hello, enormous amounts of fighting in elven city/thieves guild. NWN? Hello enormous amounts of fighting in the strange crystal stone thingy. Morrowind? Daggerfall? Lionheart? Gothic? Want me to go on and on? Could it POSSIBLY be that many RPGs have hordes of lackies protecting the big bad guy?

Combat not being that great compared to what? Neverwinter, where you besically click on your enemy and watch it dance around with your character for a couple of minutes? Or Gothic, which had the horrendous fighting-game combo-fest?
I also fail to see where Bloodlines had a particulary small amount of quests. It had way more compared to game size than for example Lionheart or Gothic.

quote:

PS - Another thing - Troika still trying to do too much things in one game than they could possible handle. In an interview after the release of Arcanum Tim said they're aware about the issue. I think they can cut away 1-2 clans and such in Bloodlines (how many people would play 5-7 times through with different clan?). I prefer quality over quantity plus things can't be done properly should be thrown out or else they pull down overall game quality

I'd say variety > diablo-like character selection.
Post Mon Jan 03, 2005 11:14 am
titus
Survivor of Hell
Survivor of Hell

An other good game coming out, although no release date given yet is: The witcher. Looks great, only a pitty that it will be almost complete mouse game. But it has my interest
Post Wed Jan 05, 2005 10:35 am
Grolav
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

2005 will give us more so called cRpg's filled with pre-made characters and hack-this-and-hack-that. The last game I bought was Heroes III Complete. I don't buy new games anymore, just wait 6 monthes, or maybe 2 years when the game has been patched and fix'ed (as much as the publisher care to do), and then I buy it. I get a patchet and hopefully functional game for a low prize,...however, I do have to wait a while...so, I borrowd Morrowind from a friend now, and guess what, it's fun!

Everybody has been telling me this since 2002? And they where right!

I just hope it's not to late to get it. I was thinking about this Game of the Year edition...
Post Wed Jan 05, 2005 2:06 pm

Goto page Previous  1, 2