I feel so weak...
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 Spoilers

Author Thread
Brak
City Guard
City Guard

I feel so weak...

What level should I be when talking to Lord Hagen and going to chapter 2? Although killing certain monsters like goblins, wolves and bloodflies has become easy, I get the distinct impression I am still a baby in the woods much of the time. For example, I was tired of running around with my leather armor and was determined to become a mercenary at level five. I had 30 str, 30% 1handed and a longsword doing 30 damage. I felt like a machine carving my way through the field raiders. With some skill and luck I beat down Raoul and Fester and had one more of Sylvios boys to beat down. Rod or Bullco were the only ones left that seemed near possible, but both would beat me down in a fair dual very quickly. So I cheesed out and decided to challenge Rod, run from him and shoot him with arrows when he quit chasing me. It worked, and I am a merc. but many quests given in chapter one seem ridiculously difficult (like the lighthouse quest). Given the fact that these quests are tougher than me and I really wasn't tough enough to be a merc yet and get up to talk to Lord Hagen in the first place, have I entered chapter 2 too quickly (level 6)?

Brak
Post Mon Jul 07, 2003 5:51 pm
cooldog
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

i would have to say that you have entered CH.2 to quickly. i entered ch.2 at level 16. i would recommend you to reload a saved game before entering ch.2 because you have no chance of survival in the valley of mines at level 6. i would recommend you to go around and kill every cretuare that you can and level up fast and then go to the valley of mine. i joined a guild when i was level 15.

p.s
no one is telling you to go and do the quest. they are givenb to you to do it on your own time when you feel that you can pass them. the game has been made for your enjoment and you should enjoy it and not to rush thru it, so enjoy it.
Post Mon Jul 07, 2003 6:01 pm
Seth
Last Man Standing
Last Man Standing

Now you see the advantage of ranged combat , I was level 14 going to mines the hard way. I cleared the siege and everything else (except dragons of course), thank God for that ledge, it took me four gaming days but I had later 90 LP! to spend. The only formidable opponents against cross(bow) are skeletons, it takes quite a few arrows or bolts.
Post Mon Jul 07, 2003 6:31 pm
Brak
City Guard
City Guard

Before the thread strays off into a discussion of ranged vs. melee combat can someone tell me if they agree with Cooldog or not? I tend to agree with his intial statement that I may have went to chap2 too soon because of the difficulty of some of my missions. But level 15 before he went into chapter 2, is this the norm?
Post Mon Jul 07, 2003 6:49 pm
Sammael
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I'd say you need to be around level 15 or so to deal with the orcs without too much trouble, but you can still explore the new world after entering chapter two, so there is no need for a reload.
Post Mon Jul 07, 2003 8:42 pm
m00nchile
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

I was lvl 5 when i joined the mercs my first time through and lvl 6 when i went into the valley of mines. I didn't have many probs and it was a bit of a challenge (i like challenges, i beat the orc scout on lvl3 with 10 str and a rusty sword ). Both Gothics can be made into an overly easy game if you level up too much, so i chose this way this time
So, maybe it was early, but it will be fun, most definately
Post Thu Jul 10, 2003 1:35 am
elkston
High Emperor
High Emperor

I say don't worry about it and don't be so concerened about doing things the "right" way. There's plenty of experience to be had in the game. You can always go back and forth between the "new" world and the valley of mines. Any creatures you didn't kill in the new world will still be there for you level up on.

The only thing you may have missed out on by going into chapter 2 are the quests for the other guilds. My usual way of playing the Gothics is to do every required quest needed for entrance into each guild (for the experience and gameplay value). Then I'll save the game and decide on what guild I want to go with from that point. For example, I'll do all the mercenary quests, become a citizen, get 1000 gold and a sheep, etc....

Once you join a guild there no way to open up the quests for the other ones...
Post Thu Jul 10, 2003 5:42 am
Shrapnel
Rocket Scientist
Rocket Scientist

quote:
Originally posted by m00nchile
I was lvl 5 when i joined the mercs my first time through and lvl 6 when i went into the valley of mines. I didn't have many probs and it was a bit of a challenge (i like challenges, i beat the orc scout on lvl3 with 10 str and a rusty sword ). Both Gothics can be made into an overly easy game if you level up too much, so i chose this way this time
So, maybe it was early, but it will be fun, most definately

Exactly. lev 5 maybe isnt too low for chap 2 but is definitely too low for the VoM. However 2 things:
* If you know how to use the combat system (when to block, when to strike, how many swings to take and when) then, technically, nothing is too hard. Stuff that I wouldnt even consider attacking on my 1st run through G2 I was able to mow through on my second run (Bandits, Raiders etc). Same cheap start-up equipment, just the new key-config in G2 makes battles so much more precise and fluid.
* Playing the game at your own pace is the key because soon enough you're going to keep building and building str, waiting for the tougher stuff and youll soon realize you *are* the toughest thing on the island. I started chap 2 very early as well, and kept worrying about if I was strong enough/too young, so I went and cleared/killed everything around the lands...then by the time I got to VoD I was having a blast. The battles werent easy but werent too hard either. Soon after clearing out the castle perimeter (yea I was fighting those damn things from sunrise to sunset for WHOLE gaming days too lol) you'll come to realize that youve pretty much peaked.

Then again I played a very focused game my first time out, Str and sword only. 2nd run through is always much more fun because you know what you have to do and you know how to do it from different angles. Now Im taking some of the thief skills and alchemy skills because after 100 str and a torturer sword, its all just overkill
Post Thu Jul 10, 2003 3:08 pm
Nicolas
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Sure you were lucky...

I waited to be at least at lvl 10, maybe I didn't use the LP accordingly... (all to strenght and One H Sword)... cause the biggest thing that I could tear down was a Field Raider... just for an example: I was looking for that orc roaming the city, when i suddenly arrived to a cave... scouted with my Bow, and shoot a few arrows... and that vile beast rushed to me like a thunder, I couldn't say "I'm might..." when I realised that the hero was on the floor, bleeding like a squeezed meatbug...

I just took some more time... and Inside the Valley of Mines... it was fun running everywhere dodging orc blades and snapper bites... just quite entertaining, and I didn't dare to stop...
Post Thu Jul 10, 2003 3:42 pm
Shrapnel
Rocket Scientist
Rocket Scientist

fyi, you can have one of those guys take you hunting with them. When they ask if you want to go in deeper, say yes, but then be prepared to watch his back (or not, if you want his loot) cause he'll take on the orc first, you just have to supply support (might have to take the kill if he's losing the fight).

Anything wielding a weapon can have their attack blocked, monsters however have no weapons so while they cant block any of your attacks, you cant block any of theirs either. Best to go in aggressive then take a jump back when they try to counter attack. With weapon wielding monsters you can either go in offensively or use the tried and true Block n Attack method
Post Thu Jul 10, 2003 7:00 pm
DJ Yahari
Village Leader
Village Leader

C'mon people! You don't need to be level 15+ in order to do chapter 2... I was level 7, and I did just fine
Post Sat Jul 12, 2003 11:02 pm
XeroX
The MasterCopy
The MasterCopy

I'm lvl 9 and haven't joined anything yet. I like to explore everything so i must kill a lott of animals to do that.

I'm already fighting with a 40 damage 2 hander i found

To join the Sportfans PM me
www.feyenoord.com
Post Sat Jul 12, 2003 11:13 pm
Egin
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

Ohh, I feel confused and full of hesitation. I am lvl 14 with 20 LP to spare still donno if it's time to go to chap 2. Killed almost everything, only coupple of skeletons, 2 dragon lizards, several stanegolems (I killed 2), shadoewarriors left, thats all.

How can you get to lvl 16 or 20 even. But, yes, I missed novice and mercs quests as I probably joined militia to early.

And I still have 4-5 quest active.

Is it time to move on?
Post Sun Jul 13, 2003 1:42 pm
AndyDev
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

I was level 10 when I went to chapter 2, and I have no problems...
Though I'm using a tactic I posted before, which makes things easier
Software engineering today is a race between programmers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe striving to build bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.
Post Sun Jul 13, 2003 2:17 pm
darth
Village Leader
Village Leader

The level you are when you go to chapter 2 does not matter as much as the tactic you will use. Chapter 2 is basically your standard stealth mission, you don't *HAVE* to kill every living thing there, all you gotta do is be stealthy and visit the mining sites. So you can do it at level 5 or 15 or 20. Its all up to you and your way of playing the game.

The best way to do it is to do as many quests as you can before going to chapter 2, do all the city stuff, then visit all the farmers, clear out as much of the areas as you can without taking on skeletons or the elite orc. At level 5 once you learn the fighting system you can pretty much take on anything, including trolls,minecrawlers,snappers but you cant beat skeletons, orcs and higher level bandits (Jack's lighthouse).

Personally I got there my first time when I was level 16, and frankly everything after that was a cruise for me. The game was way too easy. And some people are even talking about 200 str. That's just nuts. You are practically a God. Nothing is a challenge to you.

Now im going through the game without joning any guild, Im actually in chapter 2 and I am still guildless, I wanna see how long I can go on without joining one...I did speak to lord Hagen to get the key but I had to sneak in from behind the guards to get in.

What's weird is that Garond called me a mercenary at one point. But the character screen says I'm still guildless...weird stuff is bound to happen!!!!
Post Sun Jul 13, 2003 7:05 pm