View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > MMORPGs General

Author Thread
ttomm46
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Defectors From WOW to other mmorpg's

Hi

I always see where people have left other mmorpg's to play WOW..I just wondered has anybody left WOW for another online game of any type and why?

Tom
Post Mon Apr 18, 2005 1:00 am
Deg
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

I started playing EQ2 but left that game for WoW after a while because my computer simply wasnt able to handle that monster. WoW was very smooth on my old system and i loved it for that.

I made it to level 42 i believe when i finally decided to buy myself a new computer. By that time i was very dissapointed by the game. It is not a bad game by any means but it had like 14000 reviews which gave it 10/10 and whatnot. All these reviews were talking about the 'next generation mmorpg' and all that bullshit, it is simply not true. WoW is one of the best mmorpg's out there but they dont improve in any way on the old gameplay that EQ1 had 6 years ago. The only thing they did was make everything much easier. It is still a grindfest to your maximum level.

In the end i decided to go back to EQ2 because:

- World feels more real in contrast to that cartoonish looking style.
- Socially it is better because the groups stay together longer, if you play an afternoon that you have a good chance you stay in the same group the whole time. In WoW groups are a brief occurence, only briefly made to finish a common quest.
- Socially again because of all the annoying little brads are in WoW meaning the arent in EQ2 which makes the atmosphere alot more friendly and playable.
- Wonderfull graphics if you have a computer that can handle the thing.
Post Mon Apr 18, 2005 8:12 am
ttomm46
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

sounds great

Hi

I'm using a computer with an amd 2800 and a ati 9200...would EQ2 run on it....I'll admit i belong to a great guild on WOW but the kids and tech support are annoying
Post Mon Apr 18, 2005 8:17 am
Skywarp
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Well, here's a n00b's 2 copper.

I lost my MMO virginity to WoW. It's a good game, but too many 12 year old battle.net and Counterstrike refugees. And they didn't have the one feature that attracted me to this game in the first place: Battlegrounds.

I tried Matrix Online, but found myself wrapped into drama there, too. That community is the polar opposite of WoW. They take themselves too seriously. The slightest disagreement or criticism, no matter how diplomatically you approach it, makes everyone there b!tchy and defensive. Kind of hypocritical for a community that wants to pride itself on being civil. The game itself isn't the greatest thing since slices bread either. Read some of the press reviews for yourself. Pass.

After those two, I told myself I'd go outside more. But I chose to give a few some other chances. What can I say, I'm a whore. :S

I've tried DAoC's 14-day trial. Nice balanced community, RvR system sounds like fun. But the game is dated. Clunky interface and lag issues turned me off. If DAoC 2 were to come out, I'd definitely give it another try.

I'm trying EQ2's Trial of the Isle. So far, so good but I've only played for 1 hour last night. ^^; If this had meaningfull, fair PvP it would definetly pique my intrest more.

The big one I'm waiting for is Guild Wars. The only draw back from anything I've read is more of a personal issue. No stealth-based classes. I want my sneak-n-stab, dammit. ><

It'll be interesting too see what happens to WoW 1.5 bazillion subscribers once some good competing MMOs start stepping up.
Post Mon Apr 18, 2005 2:38 pm
Deg
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

I dont have to much knowledge on the matter but i can tell you my experiences.

i had a amd 2000 and some ancient videocart and only 500mb memory what hurt performance alot! If you have something like that that your out hehe. Right now i have a ati 9600 videocart because.. well im cheap and, with graphics in high detail it gets in trouble in groupsfights with alot of people around every now and then. You need 1k mb memory, even if you have less and it runs fine on the island.. the cities later on and the huge zones simply need at least 1000 mb. A nice test for your graphics/processor is getting a full group and throwing around the special fightingskills alot. If you can handle the big effects without to much (screen)lag then you should be fine. Dont worry about a lil of it... everybody has that hehe. Btw dont think having the graphics on medium will ruin things, it still looks alot better then WoW.

Just try the isle, its free for 14 days or so i think, so nothing to lose.
Post Tue Apr 19, 2005 2:24 pm
Skywarp
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Yes, the 14-day trial doesn't even reqiure a credit card. The downloading and patching will take a bit of time, but it's fairly automatic to install. Kick it off, wash the dishes, come back in an hour and start stabbing crabs.

The interface is easy to use, the community's friendly, the graphics are very good. The graphics options are highly customizable and will allow to to tweak things to see what your computer can and can't do. The only thing holding me back from EQ2 is no PvP, but then again not everyone likes PvP.

If you're a PvE, RPer, or even just a casual gamer I'd reccomend checking it out. It's not as "gay" as some 12 year olds make it out to be.
Post Wed Apr 20, 2005 3:45 pm
Deg
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

pvp is planned actually, dunno when exactly. Probably the first expansion or so.
Post Wed Apr 20, 2005 4:06 pm
Skywarp
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

hubba jubba whaaa?

I searched thier forums and the answers I got said they weren't. Maybe I was looking in the wrong place?

When you have a chance, would you mind posting a source? I'd be interested in reading it. Thanks.
Post Fri Apr 22, 2005 3:28 pm
flashbak1971
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I've been playing MMORPG's since the days of old text based muds. The first graphical ones I played were NWN's on AOL (not the one by bioware this was based off the old GoldBox series of AD&D games), Meridian 59 etc. I left Lineage2 to come to WoW and have been getting myself back into Star Wars Galaxies. I cancelled my WoW account, and aside from a handful of people I will miss, I wont miss the game. For myself it hasnt been an enjoyable experience since about mid December. Thats just me though, I am and admittedly jaded rp gamer and will bounce around til I can find a new home. I will be playing guild wars just because the 2 bwes' that I played were very fun, the community was 10 steps above that in wow and it is a beautiful game.

I am contemplating getting back into MXO, I was a beta tester on that game for several months and thought that it shoulda stayed in beta testing for another 6 months because there were far too many bugs in the core of the game that would make it less than fun for a retail experience.

Future games I am looking towards Age of Conan (by funcom people that did Anarchy Online), Imperator (by the people that did DAOC) and a couple others with some interest. Sooner or later a game will be released where the designers go back to their roots and act like the artists that they once were and there will be a community of gamers that are from the cream of the crop rather than the dregs of internet society.
Post Sat Apr 23, 2005 10:08 am
Deg
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Skywarp: There is no official statement on it yet. They are looking into different ways to implement it. Someone from SOE said not to expect 'normal pvp your used to in other games' whatever that means Anyway just search the forums on the word pvp, there is plenty to find there.

Here is a link (only viewable with a active eq2 account i think) Its a pretty vague one, i cant find the other, more interesting one so fast.
Post Mon Apr 25, 2005 8:41 am
Zakhal
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

quote:
Originally posted by Deg
Skywarp: There is no official statement on it yet. They are looking into different ways to implement it. Someone from SOE said not to expect 'normal pvp your used to in other games' whatever that means Anyway just search the forums on the word pvp, there is plenty to find there.

Sounds like marketing speech. Of course they say its not normal pvp because normal pvp in mmogs suck donkey balls. What ever it is it can still suck.

I dont expect anything from EQ2 pvp. Its nigh impossible to implement good pvp on a game that is built around pve.

Adding pvp as an afterthought doesnt work.
Post Fri Apr 29, 2005 6:49 am
Deg
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Your probably right Zakhal, i just mentioned it because i read it and Skywarp was interested. I personally only enjoy pvp when being with friends hooked up on a lan or when there are people involved who are older then 20 in maturity years. I dont mind then when it is half, as an afterthought or just plain badly implemented.

Point is everybody tries to have a good time then instead of ruining it for others. Corpsecamping, killing lowbies, using bugs to your own advantage and so many more ways to ruin someone elses fun, al signs of immaturity and proof that pvp never works in mmo's that go beyond the concept of a simple shooter. Unless the lil wankers are really all in WoW now of course
Post Sat Apr 30, 2005 11:21 pm
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

I left WoW for Matrix Online. It's a slow-leveling grindfest but at least it doesn't pretend it's not. WoW was great but I've always had a soft spot for science fiction games because they're so rare. I'm a huge Matrix fan as well and MxO makes you feel like your character really is playing in the matrix (unlike SWG, where I didn't feel I was playing in the Star Wars universe no matter how many stormtroopers and at-sts I saw).

MxO is good for casual stress-relief too. Log in, grind missions and gangs while chatting with your faction, log out. There's no several-hour to complete dungeons that you NEED to do in order to be competitive, as far as I know.

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

=Member of the Nonflamers Guild=
=Worshipper of the Written Word=
Post Tue May 03, 2005 4:49 pm
Deg
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

There's a newsbit right here on the site that points towards the first expansions announcement. There is more about the pvp i mentioned before.
Post Thu May 05, 2005 9:20 am
Rydjord
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

My first mmo where everquest, played it from about 6 months after it was first realeased in europe and enjoyed it for almost a year douring that time i also tried ultima online but quicly putt it away again to play more everquest...
After eq i dident play mmo's for some time untill i tried daoc and never has i been more adickted to a game before!! then i tried wow for a couple of weeks butt i did not like it much so i putt it away to play more daoc.

i havent been able to try everquest 2 or the matrix online yet becouse... well err i've been to busy playin daoc damnit!!!

By the way is there no other games i've seen pvp been handled better than in daoc (or rvr as they call it)
Post Sat May 14, 2005 4:56 pm